Calling learners in Kent

Yeah, I’ve been learning on my own using SSIW and Duolingo for about a year, but could really do with having other people to speak to now, because it’s hard to learn to converse on your own!

1 Like

where do you live? im in canterbury…also we can practice online together :)/…also use ffrindiaith function on the top toolbar on the HOME page here

2 Likes

Hi Brynie! I’m in Folkestone, so not too far away from you! Always up for a chat yn Gymraeg!

1 Like

Sorry, forgot to say, I’ve messaged a lot of people already on Ffrindiath but only one responded saying she is a bit too busy at the moment, so I’m still looking for Welsh friends!

1 Like

Gregg (I don’t think he’s on the forum yet) has come on board as a SSiW volunteer project manager for ffrindiaith, and is already starting to arrange meetings and reach out to different groups, initially in the Bangor area - so we may well have a little more momentum with ffrindiaith over the coming months - worth keeping an eye on it… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you aware theres lots of learners on facebook…do you need help finding these groups? Or you already got it covered?

1 Like

How best would you like to practice your Cymraeg with me? What level roughly are you.
Diolch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Brynie -

I’m so sorry, I’ve not been on the forum for ages! I’ve got a lovely friend now who facetimes with me every week which has been a godsend. I’ve been learning new words from our conversations and it’s really helpful to improve my confidence and to get to grips with sentence structure.

I’m so sorry I didn’t see your reply to me until now. Diolch yn fawr!

1 Like

Hello, checking in as a new resident of Caergaint - Canterbury. Is there currently an active Kent meet-up?

1 Like

Shwmae Kerstin, a chroeso i’r fforwm!

There was a monthly meet happening in Rochester, near Chatham over a couple of years ago, until someone moved away to Cymru (“ahem!”). There was talk of a new meet starting up a year ago, but I’m not sure what materialised from that!

In November, I’m planning a visit to SE England, where I will be spending a week trying to catch up with family and friends, and hopefully meeting with one or two Welsh speakers/learners as well. Then hopefully I will be spending a few days in Aberystwyth as well before heading back home to Y Barri. If you’re available in the 2nd to last week in November (18th - 23rd), I would be happy to meet up with you. It would also be great to see the beautiful ‘dinas Caergaint’ again too (I lived in Ashford and Maidstone, and have worked all over Caint, so know the area well).

And of course, if anyone else would like to meet up while I’m there, I would be happy to arrange a meet with you too - unless we can all fit in the same day? That would be awesome!

In the mean time, I hope you find people who will be able to meet with you for sgwrs Cymraeg soon!

Gav :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi!! :smiley:

This could be great, and yes I can’t imagine I’ll be anywhere else, so let’s meet up. I long gave up hiding my phone number on the internet, it’s 07976 476326 - send me a text or Whatsapp.

Anyone else?? @everyone?

2 Likes

Going to hijack this thread as I have decided I will DEFINITELY be visiting the South East in November!
So, if anyone will be free between the 18th and the 23rd November and would like to practice their Welsh, let me know. It would be preferable if we could do a group meet with as many people as possible, but not necessary.

Who’s up for it??

Oh, and @Kerstin, I hope my WhatsApp message didn’t scare you too much!! Straight in with the Cymraeg I was! Hope you can be part of these meets still :slight_smile:

1 Like

HAH no that was awesome…my lack of reply will be remedied soon!

How about us starting a separate thread for a Kentish meetup?

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan! Be great if it can keep going month after month like the old one did too! Just need the Kentish Welsh speakers and learners to be on board! I know they’re out there still!!! :smirk:

1 Like

Cyfarfod yng Nghaergaint mis ‘ma!

Meeting in Canterbury, Kent, this month!

It will be on Sunday 19th November, between 2-4pm.

The venue is ‘Garage Coffee @ Fruitworks’, 1-2 Jewry Lane, Canterbury, CT1 2NR. This is off of Stour Street in the heart of the City Centre.

There is a car park at the east end of Stour Street, accessible from the east of the City Centre (A28 Wincheap Roundabout) through Castle Street, then 2nd left onto Rosemary Lane. There is also a multi-storey car park opposite this on Rosemary Lane.
There are also 2 train stations (Canterbury East and Canterbury West) which are of equal distance to the venue (about 10 minutes walk).

This is a fantastic opportunity to spend a Sunday afternoon practicing Welsh in a beautiful Kentish city which, I hope, will inspire a regular meet to be started for learners and speakers in Kent.

I will also be visiting my once home-county at the time of this meet, and will be hoping to meet with many of you who wish to practice what Welsh you know, whatever level you are at, does dim ots, you are ALL welcome!

Track this thread for updates, and I hope to see you soon!

Please also share the event on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/2030396753840063/?ti=icl

EDIT: Added link to Facebook event (10/11)

1 Like

I’ll be there, and will also put up a little note in the café today if they let me.

2 Likes

Just a reminder to any learners in Kent that the meet in Canterbury is tomorrow!

Look above on this thread for details.

Hope you can make it!

:smiley:

1 Like

I’m coming. See you there .

2 Likes

Hi, Is there anything happening in Kent at the moment. I am a learner of three years looking to join a group or create one. Based in Medway but drive. I started a facebook group to see if I could find people that way.

Hi are you still doing anything in Kent. I am a speaker of 3 years looking for people locally in Kent or to create a group of people.