Can we help provide “a jump start on serving people in Welsh”?

I’m sharing a link here to a Facebook Duolingo Learners’ page, because I can’t answer this question about a one-stop shop for those who want to use transactional Welsh in their work.

I notice that SSiW has already been mentioned, along with other things in the replies, but I’m going to post a link to this, my new topic on this forum, because although I live in England, I cannot help but feel for all who feel the need for training in using Welsh at work, and maybe there is already Welsh Govt sponsored training out there, or perhaps we need sequel(s) to “Teach your dog/cat Welsh” called Teach your boss Welsh, your supplier Welsh, your customer Welsh, your friend Welsh, your neighbour Welsh, your social media contact… Such training is clearly needed on trains between Wales & England, possibly on ferries between Ireland and England… Who knows…?

This post may be frivolous and unnecessary because I have failed to search this forum sufficiently. Please forgive me, if so. I really want a Welsh Cymraeg Work Placement scheme, and an angel to appear from heaven to banish the alienation I feel existing as I do on the fringes of the “red wall turned blue Brexitland, i Lloegr”.

So how would you respond to this new beginner’s question?

2 Likes

This resource was recommended in the Facebook group in response:

There seems to be a book by called “Cymraeg yn y Gweithle” (Welsh in the Workplace). I’ve linked to the Amazon page, but other bookshops are available. I’ve not read it and it may be overkill for what the original poster wants.

Years ago I acquired a file with useful phrases for things like answering the phone. I’ll see if I can find it.

However, I think the simplest approach is to note down over a couple of days what phrases he uses in English. I suspect that the same ones will keep coming up with slight variations. Then if David gets a native speaker to translate into the Welsh equivalent, he’ll be good to go. It’s fine to do the numbers for money in English, at least at the start. Many native speakers do that.

Edited to add: It looks as though David has been directed to a useful source. Here’s the link in case it’s of use to anyone else.

10 hour taster online courses.

2 Likes

Diolch, Margaret! He seems so keen to get started… I’ll go back to his Facebook posting and see how the comments are coming on and pass on your message, as appropriate. x

1 Like

I’ve just added a link to my post. I think the 10 hour taster courses might be what he needs, at least to get started.

2 Likes

Can you ask him to reveal where he works? (I’m not part of the group and I can’t write in it, I see)
So any learner/Welsh speaker in Cardiff might go there and help him practice! :smiley:

1 Like

I’d love to speak Welsh in work. I work in a shop, there’s question I could ask in Welsh like do you want a bag? But then if a customer has a query like recently I don’t know enough Welsh to understand and help. I did look at the Work Welsh but it didn’t seem relevant to my job

1 Like

It turns out that it is the café in the Boulders climbing centre - which will mean more to you than me (I’ve only ever been on a railway station platform or two in Cardiff, changing trains and never leaving the station! :rofl:)

1 Like

:open_mouth:

Well, I’ve searched for it and looks like a very well organized facility!
And it’s along the railway, so guess what? If you came from England into Cardiff by train you may have seen it! :grin:
However I seriously doubt I’m going to ever include bouldering in my list of things to do in Wales or anywhere, so I can’t help him practice :laughing:

2 Likes

Jen, I think it is wonderful that you’d like to use more of your Welsh at work, and I really do think that very small beginnings and starter efforts and risk-takings can make all the difference in encouraging those who live alone, or who are under stress and lonely, to re-connect. Chat and small talk in shops and eating places, and on or while waiting for public transport makes all the difference to me, so I thank you. Acknowledging who people really are (without intruding on people’s privacy) helps make this world more sane. So big praise to you, and all encouragement! Dare I ask (as @gisella-albertini has done about David Bowen’s café) where exactly you are working? That way you may be both drumming up interest and trade for your establishment, and getting some willing supporters and partners for a little informal “sgwrs yn (y) Gymraeg”!

I do hope the SSiW challenges are getting you towards the right state of mind to take the plunge, and I know there are other threads in this forum that suggest how to cope with the problem of people not quite believing that we’re beginners. In case you cannot get to the Facebook page that this topic stems from, I’m sharing some of the recommended links which people from that group have suggested. So:

1 Like

I note your Bridgend connection, and will look at your blog, and I have no idea whether you get any North Walians straying into your working world but I’m passing on this link (from that Facebook group thread) anyway, mainly because it is simple, clear and encouraging to beginners:

1 Like

Thank you, Margaret. Your responses and suggestions have certainly helped me. I have only come unstuck somewhat while trying (a first attempt) to set up an account with Learn Welsh & thus to start learning. I suspect poor connection, low speed. Lorra lorra buffering, as our Cilla might say. I’ll try again. Perhaps I don’t even need to create an account. Anyway, it was all taking too long yesterday.

Without the firm basis in core “productive & receptive” basics that SSiW would give him, I suspect David might struggle, so I have sent the David in question a Messenger message recommending he tries the SSiW app, & outlining my experience of the 6mws. I really admire his keen spirit & ambition. Fingers crossed. Diolch i ti, eto. :heart:

2 Likes

I work in The Works in Bridgend Designer Outlet. Sometimes we get customers who speak cymraeg but we also have a lot of people from outside Wales. It can be very busy. We sell too many different things for me to answer every query yn Gymraeg. I’m on level 2 at the moment so it may be early days to use Welsh in work. I don’t see many resources for shops like I work in but I’m sure I’ll get there. Diolch. I don’t blog as much these days

2 Likes