Can you use an ipod to use the lessons and how?

I have been downloading lessons onto a cd as I have a 2 hr round trip each day for work. Unfortunately the CDs are not reliable and I have been returning to CDs that work and not making progress. I have had an ipod for Xmas so can I download the lessons for free to that and how?
Many thanks

I think itā€™s a ā€˜yesā€™ - but Iā€™m not too sure about the ā€˜howā€™. I had the lessons on my iPhone, and I got them there by treating them like any other MP3 files - so I downloaded them from the website into my iTunes and then transferred them to my phone. Iā€™ve never used an iPod, but I assume it works in a similar way?

1 Like

Diolch Sara, how did you download them from the site to you iTunes please?
Ange

The answer is yes!
And if it is the iPod touch, thereā€™s 2 ways you can do this:-

1. The easiest way is to download the SaySomethinginWelsh app from the App Store. This is achieved once you have set up your iPod to connect to your WiFi. Once the app is on your phone, you can download the lessons you need as you need them, and they should all work offline once theyā€™re on the iPod.
  2. You can also download the audio files onto your Mac or PC and use iTunes as your media player (this is needed to be able to sync and back-up your iPod). Then through the sync feature you can transfer your lessons onto the iPod. Once this is done, they can be played through the Music app, as you would with your songs.

If you have the classic iPod (with the dial on the front) or iPod nano or shuffle, you only have option 2. With iPod shuffle this can be a pain as the lessons will play at random!

Hope this helps.
Gav

2 Likes

Cheers

1 Like

If you go to saysomethingin.com there will be a page asking you what language you want to learn. Click on ā€˜Welshā€™, and it will take you to the next page, where there is a grid of numbers on the left-hand side. These are the links to the lessons. Click on ā€˜1ā€™, and there will be a page with a download link - you will be able to choose between north and south there.

I think this is for the ā€˜oldā€™ course 1 - there is now the ā€˜newā€™ level 1 as well, but Iā€™m not as clued-up on how to get those. Hopefully someone else will be!

I have to second Gavā€™s suggestion of the app as well (I didnā€™t realise you could do that on an iPod as well) - I did that as well, so I always had a backup if one version wasnā€™t behaving :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, Iā€™m obviously denser than I thought.
I went to the site and pressed download and it automatically downloaded it to my comp, as in the past. I then tried to synch it via media player but media player was having none of it. I donā€™t have an iPhone, that seems easiest. I have followed directions from Gav but canā€™t seem to copy a single lesson ā€¦ Surely itā€™s not as difficult as I am making it .

Files for iTunes have to be converted into m4a format what iTunes, when you importing into its library does automatically so I presume iPod doesnā€™t use another format either. That you can use mp3 format on iDevices (as much as I could establish from my iTunes imported library) they convert files automatically to its format. From this you can conclude you have to import files into iTunes library first and canā€™t directly upload them from the site there. Locate lessons in your computer, open iTunes and by import function it contains, import them into it. When imported, it should work.

1 Like

The files you have downloaded need to be imported into the iTunes library before it can be synced. When this is done, it needs to be selected from the music library for inclusion into your iPad. One way of doing this is to ā€œdrag and dropā€ the files onto your iPod. Click on the file, hold the button on the mouse or finger pad and drag it to where it says ā€˜your iPodā€™, usually on the left of the screen (if youā€™ve named your iPod on set-up, this name will appear). Then release the button once the file is hovering over your iPod.
It might also be easier to rename the lesson files, as they might appear like C1South-L1 or something codey! Also to place the files into an album so they all appear together. To do this, select the lesson file, right-click, and in the sub-menu, select ā€˜Get Infoā€™. Here you can rename the lesson, give it a track number, an album name etc. It will take a bit of time to do, but when you come to play them on your iPod, itā€™ll make them easier to find. Not necessary, but can be helpful.

Also, with regards to file types, iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc CAN handle .mp3 files as well as its preferred type .m4a, so the .mp3 file types that you download from the website will work fine. You can however convert these via iTunes if you wish but again itā€™s not necessary.

1 Like

Yes, My appology. I downloaded iTunes just for the purpose of doublechecking what Iā€™ve previously said and @faithless78 is right of course. However it really canā€™t handle .wma files unless here are updates made too of which Iā€™m not aware. Iā€™ve used iTunes on my PC a lot quite long time ago but terminated it after Iā€™ve got me another computer and didnā€™t listen to my usual podcasts anymore.

So one more time my deep appology.

Also, Iā€™ve just imported Course 1 just for fun of it, from my library and it really put them strange into 3 (kind of strange) albums ā€¦ :slight_smile: The app really is something the best to use. :slight_smile:

And importing files from your PC into iTunes library should go somehow like this:

Ignore the names of lessons and maps, those are my logical idea for not to get lost in all 14.034 audio files I have on my PC. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No need for apologies! :smile:

And yes, .wma (Windows Media Audio) files will not work in iTunes or Apple portable devices, but thankfully the SSiW files will not be in this format anyways!

2 Likes

Thanks - iPod Nano. But worked it all out so over and out

1 Like

Thanks @faithless78, @tatjana, and everyone who contributed (apparently as Iā€™m a new user I canā€™t tag more than two people in a post!) I got the time to try a bit harder than I had when I first blogged my query and yes, MP3 files can be added to an iPod Nano 7G. Apps, definitely not, MP3ā€™s definitely yes.

Thanks all

4 Likes