Carmarthen conversation group

Hi Margaret - PM sent. Hope to meet up next week :slight_smile:

Two meetups a day is great fun! :wink:
And can we use bolgi here? :smiley:
(Also @Deborah-SSi knows)

@Raf, @joe-otterburn, @Coralie, @billigog, and anyone else. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night in the Ivy Bush. 7pm.

1 Like

Hi Margaret, I hope youā€™re well. I canā€™t make it tonight unfortunately. Iā€™m still keen to make the next one :grinning:.

Hi Margaret

Is the conversation group at the Ivy Bush happening tomorrow night? Iā€™m keen to come along if it is.

Thanks

Joe

Iā€™ll be there. Dw iā€™n edrych ymlaen at dy weld ti.

Lovely to see you and hear your Welsh improving by the minute last week.

Due to the Big Party SSIW at the end of the month there will be no meet up in the Ivy Bush on May 31st. @Deborah-SSi

On Friday evenings for the past few months itā€™s usually just been @billigog and I having a chat.
Would it be better, worse, more or less convenient if we were to be only on Tuesdays? Twice a month? @johndray, @joe-otterburn, @Coralie, @roblisle, anyone else out there in the big world that is SSIW?

Iā€™m in Carmarthen at the weekend so Iā€™d be grateful for advice on cafes, pubs, shops, etc. where I can try to use Welsh.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure forumists who live in the area have more tips.

However, Iā€™ve been there as a visitor and had a great time and one restaurant I can definitely recommend as very learner-friendly is Pantri Blakeman.
(address is 31A Blue Street, actually right in front of Bus station).

Of course, in a busy moment they canā€™t really stop and chat -which theyā€™re happy to do if itā€™s quiet- but even just for ordering in Welsh, theyā€™re very patient and helpful!

(Oh, by the way, the food was good and good prices).

3 Likes

As @gisella-albertini says, Pantri Blakeman. Up stairs, across the road from, and just up the hill from the bus station.

Siop y Pentan, Welsh bookshop in the market.

2 Likes

However I would point out not too up the hill. 'cause I didnā€™t pay attention to the signs and walked up the tiny lane right next to the entrance door for quite a while before realizing that maybe something was wrong. :thinking::rofl:

p.s. in my defence I was quite anxious about missing my bus to London, and then the flight, or having forgotten something somewhere and so and so! :smile:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr @gisella-albertini

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr @margaretnock

1 Like

Hi Margaret

Good to chat last Tuesday.

Tuesday are definitely better for me. That said the next few weeks are tricky as Iā€™m in France and London. Iā€™ll be back onboard in the third week in July.

Kind regards

Joe

1 Like

Just moving this down to the end of the thread to make it easier for people to find the current projected dates:

Tuesday June 18th,
Friday July 5th,
Tuesday July 16th,
Friday August 2nd,
Tuesday August 20th,
Friday September 6,
Tuesday September 17,
Friday October 4,
Tuesday October 15,
Friday November 1st,
Tuesday November 19,
Friday December 6,
Tuesday December 19

Just a warning that weā€™re probably going to be changing to Tuesdays only. Just havenā€™t gone through my diary yet.

1 Like

Diolch @gisella-albertini and @margaretnock - I didnā€™t manage to get to either of the places you suggested, as I was attending a conference on Brenin Arthur which took up most of my time, but I walked down into the town centre on Thursday evening and ended up in the Boarā€™s Head where I got into conversation (in Welsh) with a chap at the bar. We talked for at least twenty minutes and he was very complementary about my Welsh, which cheered me up no end. I also had plenty of opportunity to speak and hear Welsh at the conference and even spoke with Mererid Hopwood, which, as a fan, was great for me. SSiW has really broadened my horizons. Diolch yn fawr!

2 Likes

A chat with Mererid Hopwood? My idea of heaven.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing with us how it went. :slight_smile:
And hey great to hear you had such a great time and caught the opportunities to speak Welsh!

I confess having to look up who Mererid Hopwood is. And I noticed she appears to teach and live in the area. So @margaretnock, with this intention, a little searchinā€™ and keeping an eye on whatā€™s going on in townā€¦heaven is close, in Carmarthen! :wink:

1 Like