Cat on S4C today - Tuesday

Thanks. :slight_smile:
However what I was mostly wondering is what he really said in Welsh.

Unless nobody here is able to transcribe Garry’s questions since he speaks so fast! :grinning:
(just jokin’, I know you did in your other post - but got curious about how questions about learning a language could be made - since it is one of the very few topics I can talk about at the moment!)

Your wish is my command:

"…oedd Nicky Roberts o Aberystwyth, a dechreuais i drio gofyn iddo fe, os fe wedi defnyddio cynllun fel hyn wrth dysgu Cymraeg"

“…was Nicky Roberts from Aberystwyth, and I started to ask him if he had used a plan like this when learning Welsh”

Garry Owen is superb listening practice, I listened to his show about 3/4 times a week for the first year of learning - so to me, he sounds totally normal now - although I have been on his show 5 times now - and met him in real life about the same number of times if not more, so we know each other very well now :smiley:

4 Likes

Oh well, this sounds great! :sunglasses: :laughing:

More seriously, thanks.
At the moment, 99% of fluent Welsh speakers speak too fast for me to be able to distinguish words anyway. So I think I can practice listening to more Garry Owen - it seems to have worked fine with you @Nicky!

In any case I’m very proud that ONE sound, that I transcribed without having the slightest idea if what I was hearing, looks almost like the actual word; and I can even blame the fact that “i”, “u” and some of the “y” just sound the same!
cynllin = cynllun

The key is listening to how fluent speakers speak - listening to radio, especially the more chat based shows like Garry Owen, gets amazing results.

Try not to worry about understanding at the start, just listen in - pick out the words here and there that you know. At the start this may be as little as 1 or 2 words a sentence, eventually this will grow into 3/4 words a sentence, into 5/6 words a sentence, before you know it you will get the jist of a sentence without knowing every word, and before too long you’ll understand the whole thing.

2 Likes

I’ve listened to the novel Martha, Jack a Sianco where all English dialogues were actually read in English no matter the book is entirely Welsh (at least the version I’ve listened to (knowing purely English version exists aswell)). So there could be no wrong in quoting original (English). It would be impossible to quote something in other language than English (or Welsh) though. :slight_smile:

Well, dear learners … here you have some reading/translating/writing exercise. Grab it! It’s for free! :slight_smile:

And Da iawn ti @Nicky! to be honest, I have kind of respect toward you that high that I rather don’t appear in WSP for that matter. Not that my understanding is not leveled enough, but my speach surely isn’t though. I’m still a baby in learning Welsh despite here are about 5 years of learning on and off already. :slight_smile:

This, yes. :slight_smile:

Hmmm … Italian. This bit still waits to be re-born in my head. :slight_smile:

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

3 Likes

(My written Welsh is actually a mix of Italian, English and Welsh alphabets/phonetics at the moment, sorry!)

No need i ddweud “mi dispiace” :laughing:

2 Likes

Diolch for the comprensione! :slight_smile:

1 Like