Challenge 1 (Southern)

Very late to the party on this one but on the course, alla i ddim caught me out and honestly at first knocked me a little, I’d been so used to using Dw I ddim yn gallu ( which is also on the older Ssiw pod) but it’s all good now

2 Likes

Hi Lee,

Yes I know what you mean (I think I was a bit surprised by ‘eisiau I fi’ for ‘I need’ when I started).

It turns out that these alternative ways of saying things are a little investment…

Firstly it might not change your preferred way of saying something but it means you understand it when someone else says it to you ie you have no control over their preference, ha, ha!

Secondly it turns out that these patterns are used for other things so are a sneak preview of something which comes in really handy later.

It sounds like you cracking on anyway - keep up the good work!

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello there. The one that caught me out was Moin meaning want because initially SSIW said it was Eisiau. However I now believe that its both in Welsh. Also I was taught Eto means again however in SSIW it means yet, so I assume that’s another word that means the same. I suppose we have words like that in English too but this just makes it harder. LOL.

1 Like

Yes, English has loads of words with more than one meaning, but because we grow up using them and understanding them in context, we don’t give it a second thought. You’ll get that way with the Welsh words too once you’re familiar with them.

4 Likes

Interesting discussion. I think Moin is “I want” and eisiau is “I need” - in welsh classes in Cardiff and welsh speaking friends there was a bit of a question mark over moin as seen to be a bit ruder / more childish /demanding?

Also regarding the discussion above on fallia is that not meaning maybe? Or am I getting hold of wrong end of the stick / words jumbled up?

That’s a kind of institutionalised/internalised bit of dialect heirarchy - moyn is not usually taught on formal courses, despite being an utterly natural part of the language - and then people will try to find rationalisations for that. The key, as always, is not to worry about it - you’ll end up using whichever patterns are most common amongst your own Welsh-speaking friends… :slight_smile: [You might have the entertaining discovery that they express reservations about moyn and then use it plenty themselves - wouldn’t be the first time… :wink: ]

Efallai/falle - yes, that’s maybe… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Davidht and all other students, one of my old class mates found this book which helps if you are not familiar with treiglad/mutations yet, they actually list the mutated words. When I first started said to my tutor my dictionary is no good, not all words in there…he never told us about mutations then!!!

Reading Welsh, an essential companion D Geraint and Nudd Lewis, amazon not expensive, they have all sorts of books now for learners too, relative simple stories, poems. Not sure if Aran will approve adding new material…

1 Like

It’s all about personal taste - in most cases, I’m pretty sure it won’t speed up your learning (and may slow it down by taking time away from speaking) but if it makes you feel happy to have that kind of variation, and if the happiness keeps you going when otherwise you would have stopped or lost momentum, well then… :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was more a case of practice reading and comprehension, and I am a book worm. More an addition to the session and when you live on your own or a none participant or welsh speaker there isn’t much else, well apart from my dog :slight_smile:
My ex tutor thought it would help but I guessed it would maybe interfere with your program

2 Likes

I don’t think it will interfere - unless it becomes a question of time-on-SSiW vs time-on-other-stuff - as an add-on, it’s all extra exposure, and if it’s stuff you enjoy doing and that gives you energy and momentum, it’s all good… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like this type of explanation. I find that it sticks better when I know why.

3 Likes

Me too. Any snippets of additional information I find in other material can really help me understand the challenges more, but I guess maybe it won’t be helpful for everyone as we’re all different. I got half way through level 3 then started back at level 1 again having read some other bits and pieces and it’s amazing how much clearer it is in my head when things I sort of understood first time round but moved on being slightly unsure of all of it, I feel I now properly understand the second time round. (Wow, that was a long sentence!)

3 Likes

What is course 1? I thought this was it! Have I missed something?

This thread is quite old.
Before the Level 1 you’re doing if you’re starting now -where lessons are called “challenges”- there was a previous version, that’s still available on the website and on the apps if you’re a subscriber.

I did the new version and not the “old course” so I don’t know much more than this. But I’d say for now I wouldn’t worry. By the time you’ve finished Level 1 (or also Level 2 and 3) you may decide to go and look for it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

I really like that explanation.

1 Like

Check out the vocabulary list under the audio lesson. It’s all written out there.

1 Like

I looked at the vocabulary list after completing the challenge. I wanted to look at it first, but resisted the temptation!

2 Likes

Just came across this post. Great idea, at the end of the day there is no right or wrong way, and even though bits are easy, I have noticed in the last 2-3 sessions that I had forgotten bits or get muddled then loose heart, which is bad as I am wanting to complete all 3 levels after stopping some time ago after lesson 15 I think. So thanks for this :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Servus Sabine! As a Welshman who spent many years living/working in Bavaria, I’m intrigued and inspired to stumble across a German who wants to learn Welsh. How are you getting on? I’m so envious that you live in Wales. Here in Staffordshire, I don’t have the good fortune to be surrounded by native Welsh speakers. I’m only now, in retirement, finally getting around to trying to master what should be my ‘Muttersprache’. Pob lwc! / Alles Gute! Mit freundlichen Gruessen :wales:🇩🇪

2 Likes