Challenge 14

I keep getting stuck on challenge 14 level 1, it just doesn’t seem to be sinking in. I don’t use the pause button, but have gone over the challenge about 3 times now and still get hardly any of it right. Should I just leave it and move on to the next one, or persevere. Help!!! Getting frustrated.

Hi @beverleygoodson
Is that the one where you met someone in the pub who said that he knows someone who works with your sister? Or something. There were some very long sentences. I seem to remember despairing entirely (useful phrase from the old course) at about that stage. If you have been reasonably OK so far, then why not try challenge 15 and see how it goes? I think it gets better. I never ever coped with some of those long and complicated sentences, but I made it through into Level 3 eventually. Good luck!
Sue

3 Likes

Thanks Sue, that makes me feel a little better. I will do as you suggest and move on. I have done alright up until now and as you said they are very long sentences. Well done for getting to Level 3.
Beverley

2 Likes

Many of us have got stuck on challenge 14, it’s become quite notorious. But don’t spend any more time on it - definitely do move on to the next challenges, which you should find a bit less painful. When you get to the end of the Level, you can perhaps skim back over bits like this that you found challenging - that’s what I did, and they then didn’t seem half so bad.

2 Likes

Thank-you Alan, I was beginning to think my brain just wasn’t up to it, so it’s good to know it’s not just myself who’s got stuck on it !!! I will move on. Onwards and upwards as they say !!!

1 Like

I spent quite a bit of time going over this lesson and then wished I hadn’t as you re-visit it in other lessons which helps a lot. It also takes a while for your brain to accept it I think (at least mine did haha). Plough on I say!!

2 Likes

13 and 14 are tough - move on… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks all for your comments, I am going to move on to challenge 15. I am sure at some point 13 and 14 will make more sense to me. Here’s hoping :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Helo Beverley I had exactly the same problems with lessons 13/14.I put it done to the structure and order of the sentence/statement that occur in Cymraeg,especially to tell,he told,she told.Do not aim for perfection which the tutors tell you,but instinctly we do and ponder on the grammar.Dal ati,ymafer,ymafer

1 Like

I guarantee that if you move on and do a few a more of the challenges and then go back to challenge 14 then you will shocked at how much easier you find it.
Your brain will be absorbing a lot more of it than you realise

2 Likes

Hello! So glad you posted this as I was just about to post the exact problem as well but decided to search first …good to see reassuring answers as well.

Good to know - I will push on and see. The sentences just came out of nowhere and taught they’d inserted level 2 challenge 14 in the wrong place!

1 Like

Ofnadwy…six lessons away trepidation strikes me like a tinder-steel…

I most relieved to discover that I’m not the only one who found this challenge challenging. I’ll press on and see how 15 goes.

2 Likes

Is anyone noticing that for a couple phrases in this challenge there’s absolutely no gap in between the English and the Welsh? Also when the guy says the welsh slowly a couple times he only repeats part of the phrase. Am I going crazy or what?

You’re doing North or South?

I’m re-doing level 1 South and I remember I noticed just 2 or 3 weird things similar to what you describe here and there. I don’t remember if it was in this challenge, but just to mean…it’s possible. But I was so busy trying to say the right thing that I just went on and forgot about it. :laughing:

p.s. Since we’re in this thread: when I first did 13 and 14 I thought my brain would melt. Now one year later without ever repeating them, I’m amazed of how easy they seem. However, I’m discovering I basically didn’t remember ever hearing the last ten minutes or so. That’s interesting! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I’m doing North so that might be it. Should I just move on and not worry about it? Also I’ve been getting caught in a trap of trying to redo each challenge a billion times until I get it perfect and I’m wondering if I should just move on.

Yes, absolutely, move on and don’t repeat trying to reach perfection - you’ll revisit things in later levels anyway. You can always go back and try previous challenges once you’ve moved on and they’ll usually feel easier, but if you look for perfection and don’t move on they’ll just seem difficult and demoralising.

I noticed exactly the same errors in the recording - I’ve done Challenge 14 twice now and noticed those errors both times so I’m pretty sure we’re not going mad!

I’ve found Challenge 14 the hardest by miles so far (much harder than 12 & 13 which were supposed to be harder!) - it doesn’t help that there are bugs in the recording! Perhaps I’ll do it one more time and if I’m more successful those little bugs will annoy me less!

1 Like