Challenge 8

I’ve just started challenge 8 - I’m a bit muddled by the pronounciation of “it” when using gallet ti- it doesn’t sound like “hi” - is it something else or is hi just said differently? Thanks (again! :grinning: )

I’ve not listened to the challenge, but ‘it’ can be feminine or masculine, so it’s not necessarily always ‘hi’ - it could be e (South) or o (North) .

ah there was a slight note about it later on - looks like it is “e” - not sure how “ddweud” is masculine though - are verbs masculine / feminine too? d:

Verbs aren’t masculine or feminine but the words before them, such as e or hi can change (mutate) the first letter of the verb. And, just to depress you, sometimes the previous word is missed out, but the mutation remains. Sorry!

thanks - I thought that verbs didn’t go by gender but needed to check as I’m baffled- perhaps later in the course it’ll explain why “e” is used in “gallet ti ddweud e” - hope so anyway!

Without having heard the challenge, so I may be wrong, the full phrase would be ‘gallet ti (ei) ddweud e’, and the (ei) would ‘soften’ the d of dweud to dd of ddweud. I expect there is something earlier in the sentence that the (ei) refers to. And that (ei) has disappeared. But SSIW is about what people actually say and not just the ‘rules’ that people ignore.

1 Like

ah thank you - I was keen to know why it was “e” as I’m in the postcard group so am learning how to write everything as well- I find that we can create our own sentences with some of the things learned - but it looks like I’d best leave sentences with “it” for now as there’s obviously more to it than “hi” (unless it’s the weather so I’m safe there!) :grin: