Children

Is it possible for children to learn welsh with SSi? As we are looking to relocate to Aberteifi, and I would like my son to have a kick start before he starts school, will be 9 years old.

Many thanks

Tracey

3 Likes

I’ll let those who wrote the program give a more complete answer, but from my perspective and I’m in the third challenge, is “Yes.” Your son can use SSiW to learn Welsh, but keep in mind, it was written with adults as the demographic. There is NOTHING inappropriate in the challenges, but the words, sentences and phrases are geared around adult themes and activities which most 9 year olds are not interested in. But it would be funny to hear your son learn the response to the question if he enjoyed Friday night by saying, “Yes, I went out with a few friends and had a glass or two.” :rofl: That sentence is from the 17th challenge in level 1.

4 Likes

9 is past the stage at which I usually see children starting to play with longer chunks in the kind of way which allows this approach to work… but a lot of it depends on how he finds the process… if he can develop a sense of play with it, and be cheerful about making mistakes (with the understanding that the more mistakes he makes, the faster he’s going) then great… but if he finds it a grind and doesn’t enjoy doing it, then it should be on a very light touch kind of basis… even a minute a day will give him some valuable exposure…

1 Like