Clwb Finyl - Music appreciation society!

What a pity, but perhaps an idea for the future? It would make interesting TV and perhaps encourage other people to learn.

2 Likes

It is indeed a pity that Clwb Finyl’s funding ends at the border, as does funding for so many other cultural initiatives. When S4C came to Liverpool last Winter, part of their agenda seemed to be an attempt to extend their remit to include the Welsh diaspora as well as just the people who actually live in Wales. S4C sees the need to expand horizons. They know they have a large extra audience for which they receive no additional funding

I’m sure that the existence of Welsh-speaking communities outside Wales could be a great help to the Million Speakers initiative, which might enable Llywodraeth Cymru to convince itself that a soft border for learner support would be justifiable. There’s a two-way traffic of migration across the border, and it helps if those who move into Wales have some idea of the language and culture. A modest investment in the wider Welsh community would be no bad thing, in my opinion!

8 Likes

Unfortunately, although we do get a few people at our meeting in Aberystwyth, it’s not the sort of crowd you can really rely on from week to week - what I mean by that is that one week we’ll get the 3 regulars who are there every single week, next week there will be 10 one off people, week after there will be 3 regulars, next week - 17 one off people.

As its a daytime weekday meet, we tend to get a lot of people who find themselves in Aber for the day :slight_smile:

I can fully recommend the meeting mentioned above by @helenlindsay in Y Dyfi. Really good people there!

2 Likes

There are 2 very active groups in Pwllheli Martin. I sometimes attend these as we now have a caravan on Pen Llyn. One meets weekly and the contact is @daimorgan here on SSIW and the other meets monthly to chat at Plas Heli ( in addition to various other activities) and the organiser is Martin Croydon ( Welsh Learner of the Year 2013). Here’s a link to the facebook page “Dysgwyr Dwyfor”
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dysgwyrdwyfor/

Good luck with your venture - sounds great! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds great. If anything happens in the Cardiff area, count me in.

Shmae Martin,
Sorry to be slow coming back after your message - computer problems to blame. Looks like a really good scheme, both practical view from the language learning point of view and enthusing as far as the interest in things Welsh is concerned. The organisers of the ‘Sesiwn Siarad’ group (which meets once a week on a Saturday in the Caffi Gwalia on the Stryd Fawr in Pwllheli) are Lesley and Howard Jones (fmdaun@gmail.com). I mentioned it to Howard at the sesiwn this morning and his first response was that maybe the Caffi Gwalia wouldn’t be the most appropriate place for a ‘musical’ event and that possibly Plas Heli, where Martin Croydon’s monthly sessions are held, might be a better venue. But of course, we don’t yet have a great deal of information about the scheme, and actually it’s possible that Caffi Gwalia would be happy to accept a musical dimension to the sessions - certainly they have been very positive and helpful to us since we moved there about a year and a half ago. I hope you’ll find time to get back to Howard and Lesley (or, if it’s easier to do it via the SSIW forum, to me, but I’m really just a contact point for SSIW rather than an organiser).
Gobeithio clywed oddiwrthoch chi yn fuan,
Dave Morgan.

2 Likes

Cytuno’n llwyr @mikefarnworth! Totally agree.

@MartinHoyland - not your fault, of course. If the funding situation changes, I’d be happy to attend an event in Sheffield, Leeds or Manceinion, as this sounds right up my stryd. (Datblygu are the main reason I’m learning Welsh!)

1 Like

Diolch o galon, Jean (a Dee), am gysylltu a chyhoeddi’r sesiynau ar gyfer dysgwyr ym Mhwllheli. Swn i wedi ymateb yn gynt, ond dwi wedi bod heb cyfrifiadur. Welai chi yn fuan, Dave.

1 Like

Croeso Dave. Welai chi mis Mawrth pan bydd y carafan yn ail agor. :grinning:

Hello there, yes we can deliver this in Cardiff, do you have a regular group that meets up? Diolch

Thanks a lot Dave, I’ll contact Lesley and Howard on the email address.Martin

Hello Rob, just checking that you messaged me with details of your group, as I didn’t receive anything, give me the details on here if it’s easier! Diolch, Martin

Sorry, I didn’t get round to emailing you. I’ll do it now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Helen, did you get a chance to mention this to your group last night? Diolch, Martin

Helo Martin
Dwi wedi bod yn rhedeg grŵp dysgwyr Cymraeg yn ardal Dyffryn Nantlle ers 2007. Sgwrs a Pheint ydan ni’n galw’n hunain, a dyna’n union ydan yn ei wneud: sgwrsio’n anffurfiol am pa bynnag bwnc sy’n codi. Mae amrywiaeth yn y lefelau o siaradwyr Cymraeg newydd sy’n mynychu, ond does neb yn colli allan. Credaf yn gryf bod gwrando yn gychwyn da i alluogi dysgu unrhyw iaith. Mae’r dysgwyr mwy profiadol yn falch, wrth gwrs, o fedru helpu y rhai newydd.
Mae rhwng 40 a 50 o aelodau yn y grŵp, ond tua 6 - 8 ar gyfartaledd sydd yn troi allan yn wythnosol.
Rydym yn cyfarfod yn y Clwb Bach ym Mhenygroes (Arfion) ac mae Deb sy’n aelod o’r grŵp wedi tynnu fy sylw at yr hyn wyt yn ei gynnig yn y Clwb Finyl. Baswn yn hoffi cael mwy o wybodaeth er mwyn medru trafod y peth efo’r grŵp. Tybed a faset yn fy ffonio ar 01286 882027 neu 07846 845000 pan fo’n gyfleus i ti os gweli’n dda?
Gyda diolch
Nora

I didn’t go last week, but mentioned it tonight. I’ll PM you with details.

1 Like

Ok great, you can email me at martin@communitymusicwales.org.uk , diolch!

3 Likes

Da iawn, anghygoel, diolch! What did everyone think about CD’s v Spotify?
Martin

Hi - I’ve emailed you, as you know since you’ve already replied! :slight_smile: