Confused about mae'n diddorol and bod hi'n diddorol

Prynhawn da, i chi gyd.

I’m currently on ‘lesson 5’ of SSiW and have become confused by something.

Throughout the lesson it is taught that;

Mae’n = it is
I think = dwi’n meddwl

Mae’n diddorol (as the example is given)

So why does the example sentence ‘I think it’s interesting’ then become: ‘Dwi’n meddwl bod hi’n diddorol’.

My instinct as a learner would think the sentence would simply be: ‘Dwi’n meddwl mae’n diddorol’.

Help! Diolch :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s because in Welsh we have to put the ‘that’ in where in English we often leave it out - “I think that it is interesting”, and in this construction, “that it is” = “bod hi’n”. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn, Siaron! Very helpful!

Next question…where does “hi’n” come from in this example. Why does it replace “mae’n”?

:blush:

“hi” is “it” when you’re talking about something with feminine gender. “mae’n” is an abbreviation of either “mae hi’n” or “mae fe’n/mae fo’n” but when we use the ‘that’, we can’t abbreviate because ‘bod’ doesn’t end in a vowel, so it has to be the full “bod hi’n” (or “bod fe’n/bod fo’n” when talking about something of masculine gender). :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Siaron you are the Grammar Whisperer!! Every time one of us has a question like this you always give the clearest, most easily understood answers!

DIOLCH YN FAWR IAWN indeed!

1 Like

:blush:
You’re too kind!

… doesn’t mean I don’t check Gareth’s ‘Modern Welsh’ too sometimes to make sure though! (he’s the real Grammar Whisperer!) :wink:

Diolch

1 Like