Cornish language tutor

Hi, I am looking for an online Cornish language tutor in the iTalki fashion. iTalki doesn’t list any. Any leads appreciated. Meur ras! Jim

1 Like

Hi Jim,

I hadn’t heard of iTalki, but in any case, Cornish isn’t included in most of the online language learning websites I’ve ever encountered. It’s just not as well known or as popular as it deserves to be (yet…).

I don’t think there is an actual Skype-based course for learning Cornish at this stage, though it sounds like a great idea. There’s the correspondence course KDL, which I’m currently working my way through — it’s all written work, but you do get assigned a tutor to mark your work and help you out along the way, so if you applied to do it, you could always ask if there’s a tutor available who’d be willing to do Skype calls with you to practise speaking as well. I would think there’d be some who could do that.

I’ve also just found Cornwall Council’s online list of classes that are currently running — it includes contact details for KDL and two other correspondence courses that I’m not familiar with, which perhaps could also help you find a speaking tutor. Or one of the teachers of the in-person classes might be able to arrange regular Skype calls with you. It’d be worth asking around. The Cornish language community is pretty small — basically, everyone knows everyone — so almost anyone you contact, if they can’t help you directly, will very likely know someone else who can. I can vouch that they’re all very friendly too and would be happy to support anyone who wants to learn Kernewek! :grinning:

Chons da hag oll an gwella (good luck and all the best)!

1 Like

Hi Courtney, Thanks for the info. It will give me a place to start. Rgds, Jim

1 Like