Coronavirus - Christmas shopping online from small Welsh businesses 🎄

As small businesses are fareing particularly badly during the current lockdown maybe now’s a good time to order stuff from small Welsh businesses with online shops.:slightly_smiling_face: One example is Na-Nôg (https://na-nog.com/), Y Maes, Caernarfon, selling books, music, games, toys, clothes etc to the UK or oversease via its online shop (pretty efficient - just received CDs ordered 4 days ago) and I’m sure there are many other good small Welsh businesses that would really welcome our custom at the moment :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

Our Tregaron butcher, is kindly delivering to us and has opend a tab for us. (M & I are pretty high risk because of advanced years and medical conditions).

We have been committed to him for years because his meat is local and excellent, and will be even more so now. :smile:

6 Likes

Hi @HuwJones and @johnwilliams_6. My neighbour told me about Dee Valley Fruit and Veg shop in Oak Street, Llangollen who are delivering to local villagers. As a Vegan I am highly dependent on fresh fruit and vegetables and I was delighted to receive my first delivery last Friday. It won’t be my last… Good quality and they accepted my order via Facebook Messenger. You can contact them via Facebook and see the excellent reviews they have. I endorse those. It has saved me a long journey to shop in a crowded supermarket and to be honest I am worried about going into shops! Great idea to share info here :blush:

2 Likes

That sounds brilliant Robert, you wouldn’t know if they deliver as far as Pen-y-Cae by any chance?

No, I don’t know, but if you check their Facebook page and message them they should get back to you. They have different delivery days for different areas of course and have ramped up capacity to meet the need but clearly they can’t get everywhere. I’m in Llandrillo near Corwen. Good luck! Dw i dal dysgu Cymraeg a mwynhau yr cyfle i siarad efo yr pobl yn y pentref :wink:

1 Like

Gwych, diolch. I’ll ring them on Tuesday. If they deliver to Llandrillo they’re bound to come to me. :+1:

1 Like

This is a great initiative. I would like to give a shout out to Selah Cafe and Tea Room, the most charming little lunch room and cake fountain in Llanishen Cardiff and beyond. There is no way (that i know of) of supporting their business at the moment, but do check them out at https://www.facebook.com/selahcafecardiff

If you’re buying books buy from an indie shop or publisher who are going to struggle right now.

Just to let you know Robert, I’ve just taken delivery of my second order from Dee Valley F&V. Superb stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

Croeso! Dwi’n falch iawn. Mae nhw’n wneud yn dda iawn i fy hefyd. Dwi’n meddwl bod byddaf yn eu defnyddio yn y dyfodol.
You’re welcome! I’m very pleased. They do very well for me too. I think that I will use them in the future.

2 Likes

Ordered some delicious and unusual black Welshcakes from this little company. The colour comes from a special syrup. Lovely people and excellent customer service. The cakes are great for a gift as they come in a lovely silver tin.

1 Like

I’m sure everyone knows this, but just in case someone doesn’t (I didn’t until some time ago) the Gwales website has a Bookshop support scheme, so even if you buy books online some commission will be given to the bookshop of your choice. You can find it in My account setting area of the website.

1 Like

With Christmas around the corner, I thought I’d revive this thread! :smiley:

Here are some wonderful hand made Welsh ladies -

There is a Twitter account called ‘All Things Welsh’ @cymruwrthgalon that lists small Welsh businesses. Some lovely things on there and worth a browse if looking for christmas gifts! Also for Wrecsam residents, Siop Siwan in Tŷ Pawb has books/gifts etc and is a great opportunity to siarad Cymraeg!

1 Like

Also ( :slight_smile: ) my rather lovely ceramic bunting arrived speedily from shopWales.co.uk. Recommended!

1 Like

Here are some of the businesses who support SSi…

1 Like

I wondered if anyone had anything else to add to this list as Christmas is approaching (apologies, i know October is a bit early). These may not be super small businesses but I’ve bought some things from Halen Môn; https://www.halenmon.com/
And also from here - thought this sounded super Christmassy flavour wise; https://devilsbridgerum.com/

1 Like

There is also the Welsh business based in Aberystwyth who are sponsoring the prizes in the Celebrity Judged categories of the Online Eisteddfod this year:

Driftwood Designs

2 Likes

I love Driftwood Designs. I’ve been buying Lizzie’s stuff for ages and it’s even more tempting now there’s a beautiful shop in Aberystwyth. Highly recommended.

1 Like