Course 1 vs Level 1 - which? Why? When? What?!

Are both forums taught in the new course? If not, that would suggest to me that the original course taught something that is not of any use.

Not quite. Both forms are equally useful, and the form the new course teaches is what the vast majority of Course 3 is spent teaching. Part of the goal here is to introduce both ways of using verbs rather than just picking one and sticking to it, because both ways are heard about as commonly as each other in actual speech. It is a little harder, but youā€™ll get used to it with time. Iā€™ve done both courses for Southern, and I still use dw iā€™n/dw i ddim yn gallu (gallu is the word used instead of medru in the Southern course); it depends on what flows most easily from what Iā€™ve already said. For example, I might use ā€œGalla iā€ at the start of a sentence, but ā€œā€¦ mod iā€™n galluā€ in the middle; just like I will use both can and able in English based on context.

2 Likes

Which listening exercises have you listened to?

Only the first one is with one voice, and thatā€™s because the material that has been covered up to challenge 5 doesnā€™t provide enough ā€˜youā€™ material for a conversation.

No, you donā€™t. Use whichever comes to mind first. As Hector has said, there are different ways to say most things, and we take a different approach to covering those differences in the Levels than we did in the Courses.

Iā€™ve completed Courses 1 and 2 (Southern) and the two sets of additional vocab, then thought it best to start Level 2 challenges before going on to 3.
However Iā€™m getting a little confused with some structures - e.g. oes plant 'da chi vs. oes ā€˜da chi plant.
There also seems to be a difference in the active past tense (pluperfect? canā€™t remember what itā€™s called, basically I did something for a prolonged time rather than just I was). I think from lessons many moons ago that theyā€™re two ways of contracting the same thing (roedd onā€™ in becoming onā€™in) but am not sure.

Should I go back to Level 1 challenges and zip through those, or just plug on with Level 2 and assume itā€™ll all come out in the wash?

Diolch!

You can put ā€œgydaā€ both before and after interchangeably. Both are commonly used. Iā€™d just keep going, personally; youā€™ll get used to things in time. Youā€™re right about the contraction.

1 Like

This one - and itā€™s great that youā€™re already predicting that response! Bootcamp survivor stamped all over youā€¦:wink:

And HUGE congratulations, too! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

not just me then?? :smiley:

Diolch i chi dau. Good to know I was on the right track. Sorry for taking so long to acknowledge thisā€¦ Isabella Carys made an appearance and has rather distracted me :wink: but ini 'n siarad yng gymraeg :slight_smile:

1 Like

Llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn! Ar y geni, ac ar siarad Cymraeg efo hiā€¦ :star: :star2:

Sorry to bump up this thread again :stuck_out_tongue: I did the old course 1 + vocab lessons a few years ago and was planning on doing course 2 now, but found the new version in stead and figured, well why not try these because if they reworked the course it must have been an improvement. And in many ways it is, it covers variations iā€™ve come across (listening to the radio for example). New starters will probably be better of going straight to the Challenges, but for me i found the old course more suited for my linguist brain, more focused on grammar and structures of the language, so i was wondering if itā€™s still possible for a while to go with Course 2?

Since i got plenty of time in the following months it would be possible for me to do all the courses anyway, old and new, together, would you recommend that or would it be confusing perhaps? I found the first zeven Challenges a bit confusing with the different variations compared to the old course (wnes i vs oā€™n in, gallaā€™i vs dwiā€™n gallu etc.). I suppose it is a matter of getting used to it, but iā€™d still like to do the more in-depth grammatical and structural approach of that old course. Iā€™ve done 3 other languages on a similar structured way, seems to suit me best.

Diolch yn fawr,
Kevin

2 Likes

Plenty of other people have done that, sometimes even doing them more or less in tandem, without getting terminally confusedā€¦ so sure, go for it!.. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too, Kevin. I completed Course One and really enjoyed it - I didnā€™t experience any real problems until right near the end (especially that horrendous Lesson 25!!). But Iā€™m now having a stab at Level One - Iā€™m only halfway through, and I have to admit that Iā€™m struggling.

I think youā€™ve hit the nail on the head - all our individual brains are different, and whether the Courses or the Levels jell with us individually, depends on what ā€œtypeā€ of brain weā€™ve got!

1 Like

Hello. I know this is an old topic, but it may still be relevant for newbies like me, so I hope nobody minds me resurrecting it briefly!..

This is just a bit of feedback really. I started with and just completed Level 1 and just whizzed through the first 6 lessons of Course 1 to see if it would be helpful to do the old Courses as well. Firstly, wow! - Iā€™m amazed at how quickly I have made progress whilst not being actively immersed in the language (i.e. not living in Wales) - thank you! (the accelerated listening exercises are so helpful!)

Secondly, Iā€™m finding doing course 1 after level 1 is really helping the level 1 material sink in and adding helpful grammatical context and vocab. The two approaches, although clearly different, seem very complementary.

Iā€™m now going to try doing Level 2 and Course 1 in parallel and see how that goes. I have no time pressure, this is all for fun! (my family thinks Iā€™m utterly bonkers!.. :smile: )

7 Likes

Sounds as though youā€™re doing brilliantly, Louise - huge congratulations! And thanks for letting us know how youā€™re goingā€¦ :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

2 Likes

I found doing the Southern course that it was helpful for me, simply based on where I live to go back to the old course material from time to time, because thereā€™s some really subtle and slight dialect differences.

Itā€™s nit-picking really and an icing on the cake sort of thing, but for example I live in an area which is very much gweud and not dweud and I found myself saying things like ddweud and ddwedais i after doing the levels, which is perfectly fine and not a problem - itā€™s the standard form that everyone will understand after all, but ever so slightly different to how people speak where I live. Those little things and slight variations are nice to go back to from time to time - broadens the repertoire a bit.

3 Likes

So I was wondering - now in August 2018, are all the levels for both the southern and northern courses now complete and uploaded? Can I simply go through the levels and learn everything I would have learned in the old courses?

Weā€™re currently up to 20 for northern Level 3 (with a few more in the very near future) and I think 15 for the southern (also with more coming soon) - so very close to being done and dusted with Level 3, and then weā€™ll be tying up a few loose ends in what weā€™re thinking of Level 3+ (ie, a few extra sessions, but nowhere near 25!).

In terms of how closely it matches the old stuff - Course 3 will drill you far more mercilessly (and, I would suggest, needlessly) on specific examples of the main short forms for gwneud, dweud, clywed, gweld, mynd, dod, cael (off the top of my head). Apart from that, though, people who finish Level 3 seem in general to be extremely confident speakersā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Aran, thanks for your reply. So the new levels are basically an improved/refined version of the old courses then? Another thing: I noticed the old courses have vocabulary lessons and daily practice lessons - do the new levels have these too? Because they seem like a really good addition to the course content!

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s right. They donā€™t have vocab lessons and separate daily practices because all that has been built into the new levels themselvesā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ten months on are you still happily bonkers, Louise?