Courses with Dysgu Cymraeg starting Sept 2022

With Dysgu Cymraeg courses over for the current year, it’s a good time to start looking ahead to September, if you’re considering supplementing your learning with a more traditional course. This is when you are likely to find discounts, early bird prices etc, so it’s an advantage to make the decision early.

@Anne-D gave an excellent summary of what’s available for those of you outside Wales in our 6/6 Support Slack group, so with her permission I’m copying it here. It applies equally to those in Wales who find it hard to get to classes of course, so very useful information. Note that she was replying to a query about learning the southern dialect, but it applies equally to the north.

Learn Welsh/Dysgu Cymraeg is a national adult language learning program, offered through a network of regional providers (mostly what we [in the US] would call community colleges or technical colleges). There are providers in the south who offer courses in the southern dialect, and your coursebook would be in that dialect.The courses are open to adults in or outside Wales.

There are online options on weekday evenings, which usually include a Zoom class of 2 to 2-1/2 hours once a week, and an online self-study unit. My classes have been 1:00-3:30 pm and 2:00-4:00 pm Eastern time, so make the adjustment for your time zone.

The price for a full 30-33 week course (three terms) is currently £90. There is usually a publicly advertised half-price deal when classes for the new term are advertised, and I have taken advantage of it. The next term will start in mid-September.

The course books are available as free PDFs online or in print for about £10 from Gwales.com. Shipping to the U.S. will cost you a bit more than the book, but probably less than getting a PDF printed (and in a non-U.S. paper size). The books are like workbooks, with room for written work, so you would want a hard copy.

If you have finished Levels 1 and 2 of SSiW, or will have finished them by mid-September, you probably want to enroll in the Sylfaen (Foundation) course. You’ll be a more confident speaker than most in your class, thanks to SSiW, but Sylfaen covers grammar and written Welsh systematically, from the ground up. The Canolradd (Intermediate) course, which I’m doing now, emphasizes speaking and vocabulary, though it does introduce new grammatical patterns. Because the coursebooks are available online, you can download them and have a look for yourself.

8 Likes

That’s an excellent summary from Anne. Most of these courses are now available online. (Thank you, covid!) It’s a wonderful opportunity for those of us who don’t live in Wales. After finishing levels 1-3 of SSiW and also using Duolingo to practice reading/spelling, I plunged in with Canolradd, which was fine. I moved on to Uwch 1, am currently finishing Uwch 2 part 1 and am booked up for intensive Uwch 2 part 2 over the summer. I am currently with Cardiff, but have also done courses with Swansea and Gwent, choosing whatever time is most convenient. (Northern courses also available.) The half price early-bird deals make them extremely good value. They also run an occasional Saturday or Sunday session (free!) with a bit of teaching and a lot of conversation in small groups. Very highly recommended.
Sue

6 Likes

I tried Sylfaen with Coleg Gwent and didn’t find it too challenging.I sat the Mynediad and Sylfaen exams this summer. The tutor stated that Canolradd uses mainly the same vocabulary as Sylfaen so I’d recommend going with Canolradd unless you really struggle with Level 3 of SSiW. I’m about to book onto Canolradd and hoping it reinforces the last year’s learning.
Gareth

2 Likes

That’s useful to know. I get the impression that Sylfaen includes a lot of grammar.
Sue

Even though I’m not really a fan of traditional courses, last October I decided to give it a try, since I needed a bit of extra motivation to carry on, it was quite a bargain and day/time fit my schedule alright.
There’s plenty of choice on Zoom now so it’s easy to find a suitable one also living outside the UK as Anne pointed out.

I have to say that I really enjoyed it!

So now I’ve already registered for another course, next year - with the same (virtual) class because if you register and pay before the end of July there’s a 50% discount, so £45 for a full year.

I’m even considering joining one more even though I’m not sure I can keep up with 2 courses throughout the year. The fact is that with my current main provider (Coleg Gwent - but probably also with others) there’a an even higher discount to the second course so the price would be as low as £22.50 and well…it’s quite tempting anyway!

As far as which level to choose, I think it very much depends on personal preferences and what kind of learner you are.

In addition to Anne and Sue’s excellent suggestions, I would add one more for those who like something a bit more challenging and get easily bored in classes, even with good and nice tutors and fellow-learners like I do :sweat_smile:

After SSiW and Duolingo, I actually jumped straight to Uwch 2! :grin:
It was a bit accidental, because I was invited to try a lesson by the tutor of Duolingo (free) events/chats/classes. And although others know more vocabulary and there’s grammar things I don’t know, I actually did well. so I stuck for the whole year, and next year will be following with Uwch 3 with the same class.

To be honest, having also done a few random one-day classes throughout the year (also with Ceredigion provider that I would recommend as much as Gwent, based on my experience), it would have been more appropriate for me to start with Uwch 1 but I did alright anyway.

The good side of these advanced courses is that instead of lots and lots of exercises (that remind me so much of how I hated it all in school :roll_eyes:), you get do more interesting things like listening and watching videos and, reading and discussing a lot of different topics, and a variety of a bit more challenging and fun games.

But of course I understand that what I call challenging could be very stressful for other learners with a different style.
However it’s also easy to move from one level to another if one finds it’s too easy or too hard, so no need to worry too much and just pick one and see how it goes.

5 Likes

Yes but nothing too difficult if you’ve been through the SSiW course. I’ve seen lots of debate at to the better of SSiW, DuoLingo or Dysgu Cymraeg. I’m all honesty, I started with Duolingo, then found SSiW and having finished that I needed more inspiration as I live in Hampshire so rarely get the chance to use my Welsh without making an effort to do so. DuoLingo gets credit for triggering my unterest in Yr hen iaith, SSiW gets massive credit for accelerating my learning exponentially and introducing me to this wonderful community, Dysgu Cymraeg for me is purely an academic pursuit but has introduced another group of learners. I still do a DL lesson every day and I’m close to finishing the Welsh course there but I’ll still revise lessons after I’ve finished. The more channels for learning the merrier imho.

4 Likes

Thank you Deborah,
I’ve always wanted to take a Dysgu Cymraeg online course, but always chickened out at the last minute. Your very helpful and encouraging post has given me the confidence I lacked up till now. I just got through signing up for the 37 week Sylfaen course, and have ordered the course book. No turning back now! Diolch yn fawr iawn i chi!

1 Like

Go for it! The tutors I’ve had in Sylfaen and now Canolradd are excellent, with a lot of experience and the ability to handle big groups on Zoom.

To underscore a point I made in the summary that Deborah shared: yes, Sylfaen is the course to start with if you want to learn grammatical structures and formal written Welsh (as in business Welsh, not the literary form) in a systematic way. I did, because I’m a writer and editor in English. Thanks to SSiW, I was quite comfortable with spoken Welsh, but I felt illiterate every time I wrote an email in Welsh, or tried to read a book or article. After a year or so, my plea of dysgwr dw i sounded pitiful, and I decided to do something about it. Taking Sylfaen was definitely the right decision for me.

I am about 1/4 of the way through Canolradd, after one term. I haven’t noticed any overlap in new vocabulary with Sylfaen, but of course you continue to use the words introduced in earlier courses. Thanks to SSiW–challenges and online chats–you’re likely to have met at least half and perhaps more of the words introduced in each Sylfaen or Canolradd unit.

3 Likes

Thanks Anne,
All encouragement gratefully excepted!

1 Like

Would like to have a one to one session with a techer

I’ve just received this email from Coleg Gwent provider (i did my course with them this year).
Maybe it’s useful for someone else in this group to decide what to choose
(@Deborah-SSi)

Meddwl am symud ymlaen i’r lefel nesaf ym mis Medi ond dych chi ddim yn siŵr?

Beth am ymuno â gwers flasu wythnos 25.07.22 a chael gweld sut bydd y cwrs nesaf?

Byddwn ni’n cynnal sesiynau blasu dros Zoom am lefelau Mynediad rhan 2 i Uwch 3 rhan 1 am amserau gwahanol drwy’r wythnos. Bydd pob sesiwn fesul lefel yn cynnig yr un cynnwys, boed yn ystod y dydd neu gyda’r nos felly peidiwch ȃ chofrestru ar fwy nag un sesiwn yr un lefel.

Gwelwch y manylion isod a dilyn y linciau i gofrestru. Hello,

Thinking about moving to the next level in September but not sure?

How about joining a taster lesson during the week of 25.07.22 to find see if it’s for you?

We’ll be running taster sessions over Zoom for Mynediad rhan 2 through to Uwch 3 rhan 1 at different times throughout the week. Each course of the same level will offer similar content, daytime or evening so please don’t register on more than one session of the same level.

See below for the details and follow the links to register.

Mynediad
Mynediad rhan 2 dydd Llun 1300-1500

Mynediad rhan 2 dydd Llun 1800-2000

Mynediad rhan 2 dydd Mercher 1000-1200
Sylfaen
Sylfaen 1 rhan 1 dydd Llun 1800-2000

Sylfaen 1 rhan 1 dydd Mawrth 1330-1530 Sylfaen rhan 2 dydd Llun 1800-2100

Sylfaen rhan 2 dydd Mawrth 1000-1200
Canolradd
Canolradd rhan 1 dydd Mercher 1800-2000

Canolradd rhan 1 dydd Iau 1330-1530 Canolradd rhan 2 dydd Mercher 1830-2030

Canolradd rhan 2 dydd Iau 1330-1530