Coventry evening meetup, change of regular date

Hi, Coventry people please note that we have changed the monthly evening meeting date from the first Wednesday to the second Wednesday every month including this month. We meet at the Litten Tree pub, Warwick Road, in the city centre, at 6.30 pm. The next meetings will be: Wednesday May 9th, Wednesday June 13th, Wednesday July 11th and Wednesday August 15th (not 8th because of the National Eisteddfod). Everyone welcome.

Thanks
Andy

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn eto, Andy (a Mark). Ges i amser da iawn neithiwr achos roedd y ā€œCroesoā€ truly, warmly derbyniolā€¦

What a fantastic venue, Andy! Getting to Coventry on an ā€œafter 9.30am all day off-peak bus/train daytripperā€ was easy from the West Midlands and relatively cheap and flexible. Train and bus got me home within an hour. I would recommend

The Litten Tree venue was easy to find, and sitting outside was pleasant, but you could do with wearing your t-shirt on top of your jumper, or asking the bartender if she could point you out to newcomers in future. She had told me sheā€™d seen someone with a Welsh t-shirt, but did not know where you were. I think she and her colleague have clocked us now though.

Excuse me if my enthusiastic chatter was English-heavy at times, and Iā€™ll need to test whether my ability to listen really does improve with cwrw consunption.
Hwyl am y tro!

Easy to find

3 Likes

Shwmae pawb. Dw iā€™n edrych ymlaen iā€™r cyntaf cyfarfod gyda chi.

I hoped to make it on Wednesday 9th but was working in Birmingham for the day, and couldnā€™t get away early enough - in the end I decided to stay late, to wait for the Aston Expressway/distressway to clear 8-(

I will plan to work closer to Cov for the next meetings, so look forward to meeting you all on June 13th. For the moment, Iā€™ll continue to work to build my vocab (including school vocab Iā€™d forgotten!) and watching every episode (subtitled) of Pobl y Cwm.

Dave

2 Likes

Oooh, competitive, eh, Dave?! Well, that is setting the bar higher than the low bar I set for myself in Mayā€¦ Youā€™re on for this one, but youā€™ll definitely ā€œwinā€ in some sense or other, as I have no school Welsh, and have not yet seen Pobol y Cwmā€¦ Luckily your hard work and challenge will pay off for me, so iā€™s win-winā€¦!

2 Likes

Great :slight_smile: Looking forward to meeting you in June.

Andy

1 Like

Hi Lorna,

Sorry I didnā€™t mean to be competitive, I was just getting over-excited.

Pobl y Cwm is worth a watch - itā€™s on BBC iPlayer and has subtitles (Iā€™d be lost without the subtitles). As itā€™s a soap opera itā€™s full of day to day conversations and helps to tune in to pronunciation.

Dave.

1 Like

Exactly what I use it for ā€¦ well, itā€™s my excuse anyway :wink:

1 Like

Hi Dave!

My turn to apologiseā€¦ It is hard to convey a leg-pulling voice!

I am really looking forward to your joining the group, and I am delighted you have schoolboy Welsh vocab to revise! I brought a couple of freshly-bought pocket dictionaries with me for my ever first visit an SSiW meet-up, and my first trip to Coventry in a couple of decades. You wonā€™t need those!

I find it wonderful that meeting people in the flesh makes the language learning leap into life, including anything youā€™ve ever known, however long back. I remembered lots ar y trĆŖn going home, but Andy, and Mark who also attended the May session made it very easy even for a beginner.

A little rivalry never did me any harmā€¦ I am still mostly addicted to Sam TĆ¢n and Guto Gwningen, but shall be raising my gameā€¦ Y Detectif, and Codi Pac may have to move over even though Iā€™m not good at remembering Soap storylines, so if I do admit to watching some, please do not test meā€¦ There will probably be a website to put me in the picture!

Hwyl am y tro,
Lorna

1 Like

Hi Lorna!

Sorry for my delay Iā€™ve finally got properly started with SSiW and have just read your message. No worries at all - I wasnā€™t sure if you were joking so thought Iā€™d best play it safe! Iā€™ve only just joined up to the six month SSiW course on Monday, and have got around to reading the Forum tonight after sorting out my Slack logon and doing challenge 1 and 2 earlier this week. I didnā€™t realise SSiW existed when I got in touch with Andy in April, so itā€™s great that thereā€™s something so organised and motivated. When I realised I had to pay it took me several weeks to prise my clutching fingers off my wallet! There we go, Iā€™ve got over that now :grin:

Thanks for welcoming me, I was really pleased to hear that youā€™re another learner in the group as it makes it easier to join (plus good that thereā€™s more of us). Youā€™re right, no harm in friendly rivalry to keep us both going. Iā€™m putting time aside every day but at the same time am trying to avoid stressing about it, thinking ā€œI have made the decision to become a Welsh speaker and that will happenā€, just as it will happen to you too.

Are you using phone apps to help? Iā€™ve found Ap Geiriaduron (Uni of Bangor) is a great fast dictionary which I prefer over Google translate. I donā€™t do soaps normally but Iā€™m using Pobl as a regular fix of hearing southern Welsh. Iā€™m trying Rownd a Rownd as well (a soap set in North Wales on iPlayer) to get my head rownd the Northern Welsh accent a bit. I must admit at first the character Meical completely did my head in when he spoke - when I first listened to him I couldnā€™t work out where words started and ended! I think Iā€™m slowly getting there.

Wela i ti, a pob hwyl,
Dave

4 Likes

Hi Andy,

See you there,

Mal Leyshon

2 Likes

Great! See you later :slight_smile:

Andy

1 Like

Shwmae Pawb,

A great evening out having a go in Welsh. Thanks Andy, Mark, Mal and Trevor. It would be lovely to meet Lorna next time.

I made it to the train station platform 20 seconds before my train arrived. Phew - cutting it fine as the next one was 50 minutes later :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Everything under control!

Nice evening and really great to meet everyone :slight_smile:

Andy

2 Likes

Yes, splendid evening! Canā€™t say I understood absolutely everything everyone said, but enjoyed ā€˜tuning inā€™ to Welsh conversationā€¦even though I was the only ā€˜Gogā€™ :wink:

Trevor

4 Likes

Iā€™m a Gog too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry Andy, I didnā€™t pick that up. Not just me then? Phew!

Trevor

2 Likes

Gogs and Hwntws speaking Welsh round a table together in Coventry, and Donald Trump meeting Kim-Jong Un in Singapore the same week. Whatever next? :grinning: Itā€™s good we can learn each otherā€™s dialect words and tune into accents, apart from enjoying a pint in pleasant company.

Also are you there Mal? It looked like you were trying to join the hangout with Nia this evening (your name and photo popped up but there was no sound or motion). Did you have technical problems?

2 Likes

Sā€™mae pawb, and profoundest apologies for failing to get to Coventry or give @andyjone Andy - or anyone else - an apology in advance - indeed, not until now. It was virtually the next day (i.e. Thursday a.m.) actually before it flickered into my consciousness that I had managed to miss what I had been looking forward to attending had a slew of minor factors/events not completely distracted me.

In the end (metaphorical) firefighting on several fronts meant I put everything aside (except getting stuff done before the hoped for bwtcamp) just to get myself through. Slack & the 6mws, this forum etc all bit the dust for over 10 days, and actually I have not made it to the bwtcamp either. So, I shall hope, but make no promises, to turn up at the next Coventry meeting as a personal priority.

No problem Lorna and no need to apologise! We had five of us this time so thereā€™s a nice little group going now :slight_smile: Sorry to hear about the bwtcamp but anyway we look forward to seeing you when you can make it.

Andy

1 Like

Hi Everybody, firstly thank you all for a great meeting and the opportunity to chat with such nice people. I hope by the next meeting I will have been fitted with an hearing aid as I really struggled to hear you all with the ambient noise.

Yes I have been having a few problems with good old windows 10 so I have switched over to windows 7 for SSIW etc.

Looking forward to meeting you all again now I have had my first meeting!

warmest,

Mal

3 Likes