Coventry evening meetup, change of regular date

You’re not alone Mal. I suffered similarly with background noise. I often struggle to understand English in that kind of environment so Welsh is a real struggle. I do have hearing aids, so I will have to bin the vanity and wear them in future.

Trevor

2 Likes

Let’s also try to find somewhere quieter then if we can :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can usually cope in that kind of environment if I bother to wear my hearing aids. In all other respects the Litten Tree is a good venue.

Trevor

1 Like

Perhaps they have a “quieter” corner somewhere… It seems to have a vast floorspace.

1 Like

Hi folks, unfortunately I’m a “maybe” for Wednesday as I’m picking my daughter up after a school History trip to France (picking her up from the school, not France). Also - is a change of venue needed to a coffee shop for example, as England’s World Cup semi final will kick off at 7pm and pubs will be busy.

1 Like

You’re right. How about putting the meeting back a week to Wednesday 18th? I can’t imagine anywhere will be guaranteed to be quiet this week.

1 Like

So, no Litten Tree meet tonight? Seems sensible. (I think I might be uncomfortable travelling home on public transport through Brum, given the scenes after the last match involving England.) :frowning:

1 Like

No not tonight, we don’t think anywhere in town will be quiet enough to talk tonight!

Hi everyone, for the benefit of those who aren’t in the Facebook group, it may be a quiet one tonight. I will definitely be late, and may not make it at all, and others have said they can’t make it - @david-davies and @malnet3 are definitely not here and @lornarhodes is also only a maybe.

2 Likes

Hi Andy! The temperature here indoors is only 26. There is some cloud, not the cloudless scorcher I was fearing, not yet.

I will do my best to set off in time, but am also ok if you need to cancel at any point. I am working towards a journey into Brum first and being on my way via a bookshop etc, but do not feel any pressure if you need an evening off.

Best wishes, L

@mintonman are you coming tonight?

Hi @lornarhodes and @andyjone,

I could come out tonight, would enjoy the sgwrs, wrth gwrs, but would have to leave by 8:30-ish - so maybe we should skip it tonight?

Pob hwyl,

Mark

ok suggest we cancel then… next one at the Litten Tree is 15th August. (but we’ve got this Saturday at the garden centre).

1 Like

I would not know how to get to the garden centre this Saturday… but if it is on a bus route and if I have the oomph I might see how things are for me by then.

I had a useful early evening cooked breakfast + Guinness in Brum, while demonstrating Duolingo (French, German, Irish & a touch of Polish) and easily getting the Ulster bar attendant on duty to listen to a taster of SSiManx, because altho’ not an Irish speaker she had nieces in immersion schools back home… She was enthused, genuinely.

Most of this was down the (very quiet even for a midweek night) Irish centre in Digbeth, and [on the way home] then bumping into a Deaf signer I had met in my years of attempting to acquire some proficiency in bsl, and we stumbled through a conversation on the bus all the way to my home stop, only briefly interrupted by a Dutch hearing signer unknown to me, who wanted to say hi before to him (not me) before alighting at her stop. (I couldn’t find a word of Dutch at that precise moment, though I tried).

I did Welsh listening practices while in the bath, and while dressing up a bit to go out, but Welsh has been temporarily sidelined. No bad thing. It was refreshing to find I could want to converse.

@andyjone, I am still deriving benefit from May in Coventry and from @mintonman glimpsed and accosted briefly 2018 SSiW party Carmarthen. @david-davies is (like Christmas), to look forward to, worth waiting for - 25/07 has been a festive day, nevertheless. :wink: Diolch yn fawr! L

Hi all, I can’t make this evening’s SSIW Coventry meetup sorry. My wife isn’t well and I’ll be cooking the family evening meal. I promise to try to describe what I’m doing in Welsh to any family member who walks into the kitchen. :grinning: So - hopefully see you at the garden centre next time.

I have also failed to get to Coventry today. Hoping your wife is soon feeling better. L

No problem, hope she is feeling better soon. See you next time :slight_smile:

Andy

Thanks Lorna and Andy, I hope the evening went well everyone :grinning:

1 Like