Coventry meetup, looking for additional dates and venues

Doesn’t look like we have a date unfortunately, let’s try to arrange something when we hear from Alice again.

I can get to Straight Mile fairly easily but not to the other one.

Hi everyone, looks like we might be on for a siarad Cymraeg this Saturday [July 14th] at 10.30 at Wyevale Garden Centre, Straight Mile, Bourton-on-Dunsmore, Frankton, near Rugby CV23 9QQ.

Who’s up for it?

I don’t normally get up much before 10.30 on a Saturday so the garden centre had better be good!!

Andy

2 Likes

Ok great, thanks Andy, I can get there this Saturday 14th. See you in the cafe about 10:30.

1 Like

Great!! @Deborah-SSi, can this one go in the diary too please? Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gwych! See some of you on Saturday morning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for coming to the Wyevale Garden centre y bore 'ma! Successful meeting I thought, six of us made it so a good option… we’ve got some more dates arranged - could someone remind me what they are please? Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks so much, it was fab.

I’ve got written here

28th July; 25th August; 15th September; and 20th October.

The meeting did wonders for me in raising my confidence. Coventry is a great group to share time with and I look forward to all the meetings. Thursday 19th appears next in my diary so onwards and upwards.
PS a big Diolch yn fawr i Andy am gan drefnu cyarfod dydd Sadwrn, Mal

4 Likes

That’s great Mal :slight_smile: Not sure if we have any Thursday dates though. Let me check…

Sorry you mean the daytime group presumably! :slight_smile: Say hi to everyone for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Musical meetup - reposting this in the Coventry thread - probably shouldn’t have put it in as a new thread as it’s only relevant locally unless anyone from another group wants to take the idea and run with it (please do).

Anyway we were talking about a musical meetup in or near Coventry if we can get enough people together to make it good. The idea being based around the Irish “Comhaltas” network where we get together regularly to sing a bunch of Welsh songs and start to build a community based on music and culture. It wouldn’t have to be all in Cymraeg but to make it purposeful it would need to be pertinent or related to Wales with a stong language element.

So it would not be like a choir or band that rehearses and performs but like a folk session or singaround open to everyone and where anyone can join in. You learn quite a lot of words from songs and as well as that singing is great fun and Welsh music is quite under the radar as a British art form.

Diolch
Andy

3 Likes

Andy, a Saturday or Sunday afternoon might help people from further afield to attend. Also have you considered inviting Derwent Harp school and people such as
Anna Purer, also Derwent Harp school https://m.facebook.com/DerwentHarpSchool/ and members of the traditional Welsh Societies in Birmingham and Nottingham.

3 Likes

Hi people, I think we pencilled in tomorrow for a meetup at the Wyevale Garden Centre - who’s coming?

I’ll be there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like it’s just you and me @TrevorJones2 , I’m inclined to either cancel or meet somewhere in Coventry, what do you think?

I shouldn’t have stepped in to try to organise it, Alice is the organiser now, and here’s me interfering and messing things up!

Ok, Let’s cancel today. See you at the next one.

Forgot to say that the musical meet-up sounds like it could be fun. I’d be up for that.

3 Likes

Have we got a date for the next Bourton-on-Dunsmore meetup? I believe there was one on Saturday. Are they going to happen on a regular schedule so I can put that in the newsletter? @alice9

2 Likes

Hi @Deborah-SSi, @alice9 and all

Yes we had a meeting on Saturday, it was the best attended one we’ve had in the Coventry/Rugby area so we were really pleased with it.

Our next two are September 15 and October 20. We haven’t really made a concrete decision that it will be third or fourth Saturday or whatever, though both the next ones are on the third Saturday, from 10.30.

Thanks Dee!

Andy

4 Likes

Oh no, please do Andy, I can barely remember anything at the moment. I am afraid that relying on me may be disappointing. I’m not always online and no mobile phone, a bit dark age over here which does get in the way, although I am sure a properly efficient person would manage anyway.

Super meetup last week though, was lovely to meet up with so many folks and meet some people I’d not met before too, and despite feeling like I couldn’t remember any welsh, I realized I’d managed to use some vocab I’ve not used outside the Challenges before.

3 Likes