Coventry & Warwickshire virtual meet-ups (Zoom)

S’mae pawb!

A few of us have met up virtually a couple of times now, and we have decided to try having a regular Zoom meeting for Coventry and Warwickshire SSIW-ers (and friends!). :slight_smile:

We will be meeting every fortnight from Wednesday April 8th at 7pm, initially just for an hour (with the potential to hang out for longer, yn dibynnu ar yr lefel hwyl). At least for the first few times, I will be at the “meeting room” from about 6:45, and anyone who hasn’t used Zoom much or has been having problems with it is encouraged to turn up early and we’ll see if we can get you well connected before we start.

• To join us use this link:

https://zoom.us/j/799895586?pwd=ZUo2UE9tN1VCWHhIdmRIemtHT1o3Zz09

• Or if you are joining from within zoom, use Meeting ID: 799 895 586, and the password 978287

If you haven’t used Zoom much before, it’s worth reading this short guide (one page in Saesneg) which is quite a good starter in how to make good use of it to participate in community meetings. If there are more than a few of us, we will use the random breakout room function for some short chats in little groups, as hanging out in a larger group for long stretches is trickier by video …

Hope to see some of you next Wednesday night - bring your own panad! :coffee::beer::cupcake::partying_face:

Pob hwyl, ac iechyd da,

Mark

PS: For now, this will replace the monthly meetings on a Wednesday at the Litten Tree pub, and on a Saturday at the Garden Center on the Straight Mile near Rugby.

2 Likes

Wow! Diolch i chi gyd!

Great! Iawn!
I did an English class for overseas students this morning using Zoom which worked well.
Can I advise that if you put details of a Zoom session in semi public place it is then open to “Zoom bombing” to unwanted guests so it might be a good idea to email members with a password.

1 Like

Something for @CatrinLliarJones to make reference to in an email newsletter?

Mention on the Slacks in some channel? @neil-pyper

Plug to Worcestershire/Staffordshire too? (@beca-brown :wink: - the West Midland extends very far West nowadays… to Ynys Môn?)

Can I advise that if you put details of a Zoom session in semi public place it is then open to “Zoom bombing” to unwanted guests so it might be a good idea to email members with a password.

Thanks for the advice, @davee52uk - I will be using the waiting room function, so anyone who turns up and misbehaves in some unpleasant way could if necessary be chucked out and won’t be able just to rejoin. I also have screen sharing disabled by default, and have turned off file-sharing in the chat function, so the opportunity to ‘zoom bomb’ in the spectacular ways that have been written about lately is, I think, pretty much eliminated.

Zoom has decided to set up all meetings with waiting rooms and a password by default from Monday, as it happens. For our purposes, however, I think just the waiting room is fine, and the opportunity for people to just drop in even if we haven’t seen them for a while (and so haven’t emailed them a password) outweighs the relatively small chance that someone picks a small Welsh chat group to practice their ‘zoom-bombing’, and finds a way to do so without access to screen-sharing or file transfer :slight_smile: