Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Hi, I’ve just moved to Wales and would love to be able to communicate a little in the local language. I’ve not done any language learning since I left school - wish me luck!

3 Likes

Good luck! Ssiw is a great choice so you’ve started in the best possible way! :grin:

Rich :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi, I have recently finished my five sentences in welsh and have just completed challenge 1- level .

3 Likes

Hello
My name is Jayne. I’m from South Wales.
I have wanted to learn welsh for a very long time.
I had tried in the past using books on welsh grammar (before the internet), but found it very difficult.
I was told about online learning and started using Duolingo during the pandemic.
I heard the winner of welsh learner at the recent eisteddfod mention ssiw so I thought I would try.
I’m a bit nervous though.

2 Likes

Hi I’m Terry
I am currently doing challenge 1 - level 1.
At what stage do you start to write the Welsh you have learnt?
I hope I’m in the right place asking for help

1 Like

Helo @Terry! Croeso! With our course we focus on building your listening and speaking skills as they are what you need to take part in Welsh conversations. We advise you to leave reading and writing for a while until you feel comfortable with the spoken Welsh, but really it’s up to you.

We don’t teach reading and writing as such, but many of our learners reach a point where they’re keen to read and start with some of the excellent books that are written especially for Welsh learners. You can check the reviews in the The SSiW Welsh Book Club thread from some ideas on where to start, and from reading you can progress to writing.

Another way is to use the free Duolingo app which gives you Welsh to read and write, and extends your vocabulary. The voices can be a bit weird though, so you’re better to get your spoken Welsh from our Challenges :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, my name is Chandra (pronounced SHAWN-dra). I live in North Carolina in the United States. I’m 55 years old and have never successfully (yet) learned any new language more than just the basic greeting phrases, despite multiple attempts (high school French, Haitian Creole, Japanese, Spanish, Esperanto) so I had sort of given up and bought into the “I’m just not good at languages” internal lie.

I started Welsh on Duolingo during the early pandemic, and I thought the language beautiful - so much so that I now often listen to Radio Cymru just because I like the sound of it. But I did not practice consistently, so I don’t remember much beyond, again, those basic greeting phrases. Bore da!

I have always loved Welsh music and folklore. I recently bought another book of Welsh traditional stories translated to English, and once again began dreaming of being able to read them in their proper tongue. So I Google-searched “best way to learn Welsh” and found that there are a LOT of resources (I had no idea, it really is awesome!) I chose SSi because the approach makes the most sense to me, at least as a complete beginner.

4 Likes

A very warm welcome to SSiW, Chandra - I’ll look forward to hearing how it goes for you :slight_smile:

Hello. I’m not sure what one word challenge is. I just started. I’m on my second week lesson. My name is Suzanne. I live in Fresno California in America. I discovered SaySome when I read Aran’s Some Sex and a Hill.! I had been working away on Duo and getting no place and after just two weeks of SaySomething, I can now say a number of things.

3 Likes

Hi Suzanne, welcome to the forum! The one sentence is the intro trial bits, before you get into the fuller half-hour lessons (of the current format). Delighted to hear you’re off to such a good start with SSiW, keep us posted! :slight_smile:

My mother was a native Welsh speaker from Penrhiwllan near Llandysul. She never taught me Welsh and I have always regretted it. We lived in London.
I am now living in Cumbria and at 72 years old am giving it a go. Never too late?
I have already started Duolingo Welsh.

4 Likes

Hi I’ve just started learning Welsh. Resurrecting the Welsh I learned in school from 5-7, albeit 40 years later. It’s always felt like that bit of me is missing. I’m now down South in England so looking forward to connecting with fellow learners.

3 Likes

It’s definitely never too late! :smiley:

1 Like

I have been learning welsh for some years, I’m confused about the welsh word thats being taught for "want " Moyn, i was taught eisiau for want. Can anyone explain please.

moyn is the word often used in Southern Welsh and eisiau is more often used for ‘to want’ in Northern, that’s why the SSiW courses use them in the S and N versions, but that’s not to say that they’re only used in those regions and can’t be used anywhere. If you’re used to eisiau and in the South, that’s fine, carry on with eisiau.

1 Like

Hi, I’ve been recommended this site as an alternative to the app with the green owl. Glad to be here and looking forward to experiencing the novel approach to learning Welsh!

3 Likes

According to the directions, the program is going to say a sentence in English and I am supposed to say it in Welsh, but I do not know the first thing about Welsh, so how is it exactly that I am supposed to say it in Welsh? Your instructions say that I must say something in the interval. I feel like saying a swear word, to be truthful. Are there some course materials I am missing? Please note, I am blind in one eye, so it is entirely possible that I have not seen some bit of instruction or information. Maybe someone could direct me? Otherwise, I have to assume that this is meant for people who already know Welsh.

No, this is particularly for people who don’t know any Welsh, but it is a method that probably won’t be familiar.
The voice will give you the Welsh for an English word or phrase, then it will say the word or phrase in English and you then repeat after it in Welsh.

1 Like

Hello from another New Zealander. I started on the old course some time ago, just listening while I did my ironing. I have retained most of what I learned but want to progress now.
The best thing for me in this course is the vocabulary list. I’m one of those people who needs to know what words look like as well as how they sound. The day I can read a book in Welsh, I will know I have made progress!
I started learning Welsh because I was married to a man from Laugharne. I had hoped to travel with him to Wales one day, but the marriage was over before I got there. However, I got hooked on the sound of spoken - and sung - Welsh, so here I am, some years later, starting from scratch.
It’s lovely to hear Aran’s voice again. I can’t wait to become fluent.

6 Likes

Croeso from another Kiwi! Wales will be still there for you when you get the chance to visit, and you’ll receive a very warm welcome when you can speak some of the language!

1 Like