Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Hi AnnaC,
Many thanks; I am on challenge 2, but I am not quite sure where ti start with the 5 minute test - do I need to learn more first? How does it work? Diolch yn fawr,
Edmund.

1 Like

Hi Edmund,

The instructions for the 5 minute test are here

Iā€™m not sure at what point in the Challenges youā€™ve learned all the structures you need. Iā€™m guessing at least halfway through Level 1? But it would be great for you to start practicing making up sentences with whatever you do know, and by the time youā€™re ready for the 5 minute challenge, thereā€™ll be no stopping you :grin:

2 Likes

O my goodnessā€¦ A neighbour, Mark told me about this fabulous appā€¦ I started yesterday. I was rubbish at French & no better at Spanish at schoolā€¦ It was all the verbs that stressed me out. Welsh seems easier in comparison ā€¦ although hard to get my tongue around the soundsā€¦ Iā€™m loving it. Iā€™m 50, just moved to North Wales & have no plans to EVER move away so thought trying to learn the language would be a terrific way to feel a part of this wonderful place.

9 Likes

Welcome, Tina!

For my experience - compared to French, Italian (and Iā€™ve never studied Spanish, but doesnā€™t seem much different)ā€¦Welsh for verbs is the language youā€™ve always dreamt of! :wink::grinning:

Also, the SSiW approach makes learning much smoother anyway, as you may have noticed already!

4 Likes

Croeso/ welcome and enjoy learning. Your brain will meltā€¦ But it comes back together with Cymraeg reinforcementsā€¦

3 Likes

A warm welcome to the forum (and to Wales!)ā€¦ :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

4 Likes

Welcome, @tina-jane! The SSiW method makes learning fun - Iā€™m still having a blast 4 years later and I donā€™t even live in Wales! Enjoy the Challenges and come ask questions anytime. Weā€™re a friendly bunch and we love to hear how people are doing! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Pryhawn da, Suzie dw i. I am moving to Wales in April and Iā€™m really looking forward to learning how to speak Welsh so that I can fully intergrate into the community. I found SSI Welsh via the facebook group members of Blaenau Ffestiniog. They are very encouraging and helpful. Ive been trying to learn on my own at home for an hour a day but am pleased to find this site, i think itā€™s going to help me a lot. Diolch yn fawr!

6 Likes

Helo Suzie and croeso / welcome here.
Youā€™ve come to the right place if you want to learn how to speak Welsh ā€œin the wildā€. Please come to the forum whenever you need help / advice / tips or just if you want to tell us about your progress. Weā€™re always here to help and to celebrate triumphs. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Helo Brigitte, diolch for the croeso! Iā€™ll enjoy using the site and iā€™ll certainly ask for help when I get a bit stuck. Diolch!

3 Likes

Welcome, Suzie! Glad you found us! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How exciting!

We are pleased too, and shall try our best :grinning:

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr to everyone. Iā€™m on day 4 and ā€¦
Dw i isio dysgu siarad Cymraeg achos dw i caru Cymru a dw i isio yr iaith Gymru(?) parhau.

8 Likes

A very warm welcome to the forum, Suzie - and what a flying start youā€™re off to! :star: :star2:

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking of doing the 6 minutes a day course but Iā€™m concerned that I might be a little bit slow in getting through all the content each week. Iā€™ll probably be OK but my old brain isnā€™t as sharp as it used to be.

1 Like

Hello @christine-rathbone

Welcome! A lot of us here are not exactly in the first flush of youth. We may not be as fast as we once were, but we get on well and have a lot of fun. I suggest that you go for it!
Sue

4 Likes

Diolch Aran, Iā€™ve just finished day 5 and my husband is amazed at how iā€™ve managed to learn so quickly and how fast i say such a long long sentence. Itā€™s just brilliant and i love it!

4 Likes

Helo! Iā€™ve just completed Day 5 of the sentences and am really enjoying it. Iā€™m on a 76 day streak on Duolingo and whilst I can concoct sentences like Wyt ti eisiau gweld tylluan frown a gwyn? I canā€™t actually say anything - at least until now!
Iā€™ve wanted to learn Welsh since I was about twelve, when friends of my parents moved from Oxford to a village who knows where and immersed themselves in all things welsh, including the language. It seemed like the most remote place Iā€™d ever been to and I was enchanted.
I now have a son studying at Bangor Uni. When we visited for the Open Day we stayed overnight in a hotel and ate in the restaurant surrounded by Welsh speakers. It was awesome and made me realised that I STILL want to learn Welsh and can try it out whenever I ferry son 3 backwards and forwards. (Iā€™ve subsequently found out that I have some Welsh ancestry too, so even better).
The other factor is that I speak Catalan and have a passionate belief that smaller languages should be defended at all costs. Visca el GalĀ·les! (Thatā€™s Catalan for Long Live Welsh).

11 Likes

Welcome, Rachel! Congratulations on your Duolingo streak! That shows commitment :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing your story. I think youā€™ll find SSiW a much quicker way to get actually speaking than Duolingo. Have fun and be sure to come ask us any questions!

3 Likes

@rachel-everett
Indeedā€¦and donā€™t forget listening I have found S4C Clic to be an absolute gift for hearing the language spoken. It attunes your ear even when you donā€™t understand a lot, gives you new words or ways to use them (llawr was word of the day on Twitter recently and was used in Gerddi Cymru in the context of 'down to the bottom of the garden)ā€“and you may occasionally clap when you understood something without realising it. :hushed:
Enjoy yourself!

4 Likes