Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Welcome Diane! Keep us posted on how you are doing, and don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can register to receive the weekly newsletter in the FAQ above, or just go straight to SSiW Newsletter

Helo from sunny Anglesey. I just finished day 4 and it is all going well (so far). My long term aim is to be able to read in Welsh (news, fiction and poetry - maybe!) as well as have conversations, so I very much appreciate the vocab that is given in each session. I go to a local weekly class but I need more practice speaking and listening, so I’m hoping this will help with that and take away my fear!

3 Likes

Croeso/ Welcome to the forum @Helen888 !

It sounds like you have a tip top location not only for the weather but for practice opportunities too!

The forum is a great place for questions, assistance, events, books … etc,etc. …and you’ve done your first post already - you’re flying :smile:

Congrats on choosing SSIW - you are on your way to becoming a Welsh speaker.

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Helo pawb!

I’m Anna, a uni student from the States (Boston area) studying in Cardiff for the term! On a whim I signed up for a weekly beginner’s Welsh class and really enjoyed it - now I’m hooked on all things Cymreig. I’m hoping to use SSiW to continue my learning when I return back home in a month or so. The only trouble I’ve run into thus far is the North vs South dialect… my tutor was from Swansea, so I’m getting used to slightly different pronunciations and phrasings. :slight_smile: So glad there is a supportive community here!

Diolch and cheers!

5 Likes

A warm welcome to you Anna.

2 Likes

Welcome Anna!

as a non-Welsh student of Cymraeg myself I would say, don’t worry too much about the North-South differences.
The fact it’s always mentioned makes it seem like a big obstacle in the beginning, but it’s really not much different than any other Country in the world.
Since you’re from the States…well…I thought I was doing pretty well at speaking and understanding American-English, but the first time I talked to a 70-year-old 100% texan man, I didn’t understand a word! :sweat_smile:

From my experience, I would say…keep on enjoying yourself learning and speaking and you’ll be fine! :wink:

By the way, since you’re in Cardiff…there’s other people in the Forum who live there, and certainly events, conversation groups etc going on in the area, if you like!
(you might start having a look around the Forum, but then just ask, and I’m sure someone will help you find details)!

3 Likes

Hoody mam! Ye’all b’shore t’holler iff’n y’all git ter need’n er han!

4 Likes

Hello Rich

Thank you for the welcome. I just subscribed but realised I should have put someone’s name in the referral box to unlock even more benefit to subscribing. Have I missed out on this now?

Best

Helen

1 Like

Not necessarily. You can still email admin@saysomethingin.com with the name of your referrer, I do believe. @Deborah-SSi @Sionned

3 Likes

Yes, just send an email through with the name of the referrer and we’ll see what we can do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Gret diolch!

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’m new to the forum and thought I would say hello. I had learned a few Welsh words as a child but did not keep it up. I’m learning again now though and am saving up for a trip to Wales, which is rather expensive from my side of the pond. Hopefully next summer I’ll be able to visit.

Just wanted to say hello and that I’ve enjoyed learning the first sentence. I’ve made myself flash cards and am quite good at this sentence now. Looking forward to learning more!

Cheers!

6 Likes

Croeso @Maggie.Beans

Welcome to the forum which is a helpful sort of place for all sorts of things.

I’m glad things are going well - SSIW is a very direct route for learning!

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bore da. Toria ydw i. Dw’in dysgu Cymraeg via duolingo a SSI. I understand tipin bach but Ive always wanted to speak welsh. Completed a 15 week course with Learn Welsh which I loved. I have books and speak what I can with fluent welsh speakers. Just need to keep practising as I enjoy the language very much just Im not fluent yet.

5 Likes

Croeso! A head start will see you flying along :wink:

2 Likes

Diolch Sean-O

Hi, My wife and I are moving to Cymau in a couple of weeks time and want to be able to read and speak some Welsh. Lesson one was good but not a lot sticks in my memory (I’m now 63). Any tips?

Welcome Paul :slight_smile:
Just stick with the method - it will feel like things aren’t sticking, but the way the course is structured means that you will revisit things you think you’ve forgotten and - usually when you least expect to remember them again - up they pop!

Best tip - hear as much Welsh as you can (S4C, Radio Cymru, web podcasts, youtube - anything you can get access to). You don’t even have to listen everytime, just hear it. You won’t understand much if anything to begin with, but your brain will get used to hearing patterns and again, when you least expect it, you’ll find you suddenly understand a little chunk - and those chunks get bigger and bigger over time!

One last thing - age is no barrier! :wink:

6 Likes

Day three and still enjoying. Already practicing speaking. What an excellent app. Thank you SSIW :grin:

4 Likes