Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Hi , in my second day!! And quite severely dyslexic, and bit worried this may hold me back. Does anyone out there have the same problem

1 Like

Hi, My name is Huw. I was born in Fishguard in 1949, currently living in the US. Iā€™ve been here to learn before, but itā€™s quite difficult without someone to practice with, I hope to learn a bit more this time.
My Mother spoke Welsh, and my nieces and nephews do, having attended Welsh School.

3 Likes

Hi Phil.
What I like about the Speaking practice is that its not just for SSi learners. So, Duolingo and other course learners are amongst the members.

Iā€™m on week 8 challenges 12 & 13 complete but it seems to be getting very hard. Any advice on carrying on

1 Like

Hi @griff

Congrats for getting to that point because it means you have got a lot of Welsh on board by now!..and you almost certainly donā€™t realise how much yet! :sunny:

These two lessons are the ā€˜world famousā€™ worst lessons :smile: so just hang on in there - itā€™s about to settle down!

The content of twelve and thirteen are repeated later during the course and at some point it will fall into place - itā€™s a very strange thing. :smile:

So keep the faith and trust the process - it sounds like you are doing brilliantly. :sunny: :sunny:

Rich :slight_smile:

Bore da pawb! Dw Iā€™n mwynhauā€™r ddysgu cymraeg!
Im on my 6th week and just got my pink circle which my husband was bemused about when I told him!
Iā€™m giving myself 2 years to learn Welsh, to hopefully transfer to north Wales police, so no pressure!
Iā€™ve even got the the dog involved in the lessons- he now recognises that when I pick my headphones up, itā€™s time for his walk!

I now just need to buck up the courage to join in the speaking practice and sessions on slack, I can imagine my mind will go blank or something!

And when will I ever be able to roll my rrrrā€™s?! Ha!

3 Likes

Well done Sara, sounds like youā€™re doing great! Yes, itā€™s almost certain your mind will go blank when you first start with Slack because it happens to everyone, so donā€™t let that put pressure on you - itā€™s perfectly natural and everyone you speak to on there knows all about it!

And as for rolling rrrrā€™sā€¦ Iā€™ve never been able to do it properly (and Welsh has been my second language for coming up 20 years!), so donā€™t worry - if the rolls come, they come, if not, it really doesnā€™t matter!

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m Welsh living in England on a narrowboat with my Welsh speaking husband Geraint. I did learn Welsh in school and our assemblies were alternated daily between Welsh and English. However as with French as soon as we started to write it down I got left behind.

Iā€™ve been saying I will learn again since I met Geraint in 2005 and feel quite ashamed that I donā€™t especially at family gatherings when all of Geraints family speak Welsh (Anglesey).

I was born in Cardiff both parents welsh my father didnā€™t speak any only knew my Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau, my mother was Welsh speaking until age 5 then only spoke english.

This is something Iā€™m determined to suceed at just please donā€™t start asking me to write it down lol :*)

3 Likes

You are in the right place. We are specifically recommended NOT to write it down because it is liable to slow our progress with speaking. Welcome!
Sue

3 Likes

Hello! I live in Australia and have a Welsh speaking mother who is living with dementia. As the disease advances she is speaking more often in Welsh than English. I know only a smattering of Welsh. So, Iā€™m here to learn more so that I can communicate a bit better with her. Itā€™s great to find this community. Thank you for the welcome.
Caroline

5 Likes

Pnawn da. I have been taking night classes for a year but have only just got myself onto ā€œSaysomethinginwelshā€, I also use Duolingo. I confess I am English and moved to Wales 18 months ago

1 Like

Bore da! I have recently begun my Welsh studies to connect with my ancestral roots.

1 Like

Noswaith dda pawb.
I moved to Wales in 1980. Over the years, Iā€™ve learned lots of words and just Wenglished my way through but I want to learn how to put sentences together and have the confidence to speak to my friends and neighbours. I have been doing classes for a long time and feel like I am less confident now than ever with ā€˜text bookā€™ Welsh!! Iā€™m not bothered so much about writing so Iā€™m hoping this course will help by starting at the very beginning :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Thanks for that I will def keep going

1 Like

Hi there. I have done the taster for the first week. The I want to learn etc. Then I decided to sign up for the 5 minutes course for the year.but I am wondering is the first weeks lesson the same as the taster I have already done?

2 Likes

No, I donā€™t think so. I think its a bit deeper but its newer than the way that I learnt. Someone will get back to you soon. Anyway, if not different, it should be a nice refresher/springboard :grin:

Hiā€¦ I am English and have been taking Welsh classes for a year as I thought it would help me in my business (Accounting/Consultancy) and I always think you should learn the language of where you live (18 months in Wales). I do like the way you build sentences up and in the process use words that are widely applicable in conversations or in starting a conversation.

2 Likes

Hi not sure if this is where I introduce myself ! Anyway Iā€™m Ian I live in Bangor Gwynedd , all my life 58 years and now I think I should speak Welsh my wife is from at hellens came to Wales when she was 6 speaks fluent Welsh , Iā€™m a member of cor penrhyn male voice choir , I want to learn Welsh so I can converse with 80 other choir members in Welsh and not be the odd one out :grinning::musical_score:

1 Like

Ok thanks just joined tonight :blush: I just hope I can pick it up could never when I was in school lol

1 Like

Hi, I have completed the 5 days of 1 sentence in Welsh tonight, really buzzing ! Think I can speak more welsh now than I ever learnt in school 40 odd years ago! (Think I need a course to find my way around the forum :joy::joy::joy:) , looking forward to getting my next email and getting started on this journey , I know itā€™s going to be tough sometimes but it will be worth it :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æ nos da

1 Like