Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

He also put me right and gave me a good tip about Welsh words. Split the words and then you will hear the pronunciation ei: Di-olch

1 Like

Helo again.
I finished 5 sentences on Wednesday i believe and canā€™t wait for the next email.
Iā€™m a bit worried as every email says that itā€™s designed to be very difficult and I shall not worry, making mistakes is perfect, my brain is making new synapses etc. What if it wasnā€™t so difficult at all? Am I doing something wrong? I remember every sentence and could write it here from my memory, (dwi isio dysgu siariad Cymraeg achos dwin caru Cymru a dwi isio yr iaith Cymraeg par hau.) and i donā€™t think Iā€™m Good with languages. I donā€™t remember anything apart from a few sentences in Spanish, and canā€™t say any sentence in Russian although can read it in Cyrillic letters and understand a bit. English has been a long long road for me, and I still donā€™t feel confident.
So why I remember everything from all those 5 practice sessions?:open_mouth:
Well. It makes me a bit happier of course.
Really canā€™t wait for whatā€™s next. Iā€™m totally in love.

At work there was a new supporting girl (nursery) and the manager said very excited that I have to have a chat with her as sheā€™s Polish and for sure Iā€™m missing my language ( :smile: well, having phone calls with my family almost every day i am not really) and I said something about learning Welsh now (i was very excited) and my manager changed her face instantly from excitement to shock and a bit of disappointment and said ā€œwhy? Do you have anyone to speak to in Welsh?ā€ Me"no, itā€™s just a beautiful language i want to learn ".

Love to you all,
Nat x

2 Likes

Hi Michael.
Glad you want to visit Poland again. yes, Gdańsk absolutely worth seeing. I love it so much I wanted to live there (Iā€™m absolute sea lover too). Gdańsk is also a capital of tricity (Gdańsk, Sopot and Gdynia). I love Gdynia too but itā€™s completely different from Gdańsk.

I would pronounce diolch: [dyolh] or [dee olh]if I had to do it by looking at the word. But have no idea :smile:

Nat x

3 Likes

No, definitely not - if youā€™re remembering it, youā€™re doing fine! (and your English looks pretty good to me) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hello! My name is Ashley Morris and I would love to learn Welsh for a couple of reasons:

1. It sounds amazing to listen to people speaking itā€”it gives me ASMR tingles and makes me happy.
  2. Living in America I feel very separated from my ancestry and ancestral culture. Polish is too difficult right now so I am trying Welsh first.
  3. I want to attend an eisteddfod (Welsh festival) and feel comfortable walking around.
2 Likes

Hi
My name is Caroline,
After visit wales last year I wanted to learn welsh, as on any holiday I try to learn a few words.
Also I would like to retire in that area as itā€™s so beautiful and peaceful.

3 Likes

Hello, my name is Katrin and I live in Los Angeles, CA, USA.

I became inspired to seek out Welsh lessons online during CoViD-19 quarantine when I subscribed to the Acorn streaming platform on my television.

I have been enchanted by the S4C productions Iā€™ve been watching on Acorn and by the sublime Eve Myles in the series ā€œKeeping Faithā€.

I read an interview with her about the making of the show, and she talked all about how sheā€™d had to learn Welsh because S4C has a mission of filming every production in both Welsh and English.

Well, I love the S4C shows I have seen so much that Iā€™ve begun to have a quirky little dream that perhaps if I learn Welsh I could one day play the role of someoneā€™s American cousin! :relieved:

Also I have heard for years that Welsh is a language that is losing speakers, and I suppose that appeals to the social justice warrior-ess in me.

Failing all else, Welsh is such a different language than any other Iā€™ve ever tried to speak, I figure at the very least itā€™s excellent exercise for my brain.

As for my experience in the 1 sentence five day course, strangely enough the longer sentences have been easier for me than the fragments- go figure!

Thank you so much for this site, Iā€™m excited to see if I can actually do this! :strawberry:

7 Likes

Bore da! Iā€™ve been learning Welsh via Duolingo, which has been good for seeing the words, but less so for hearing and understanding the rhythms of the language, which I hope this course can help me with.

I actually read ā€œSome Sex and a Hillā€ a while ago when I first started learning Welsh, and really enjoyed it.

3 Likes

Hi,
New here, from Sweden. Studied Welsh 30 years ago for a year at Uppsala university. But never did anything with it and never visited Wales. So most of itā€™s forgotten.
Thought I might give it a try again.

3 Likes

Hi @jerker-gidlund

Welcome! Thatā€™s really great. Iā€™m sure that it will come back to you though you may find it less formal than you learned before.

One day you might even be able to visit Wales.

Enjoy it!
Sue

2 Likes

hi there , im honestly just taking this as a hobby right now but i do have plans of someday go to live in wales soā€¦ dreams are free i guess , im actually from Peru and my natal lenguaje is spanish , so i thought this would be WAY harder to learn ( You know , since welsh and spanish arent exactly related in any form whatsoever-) but it was really fun to do and it was surprisingly easy for me , as for how did i get here i literaly just googled ā€œwelsh coursesā€ and here i am xd , so in short ā€¦ im learning welsh achos dwi isio !

3 Likes

Helo!!! Iā€™m MartĆ­n from BahĆ­a Blanca Argentina. Iā€™ve never imagine that Iā€™d try to learn Welsh in my life. Iā€™m 48 years old and this is a nice challenge to start with.
Questions, yes a lot!!! But I guess they are going to be answered within the lessons or daily practices.
Itā€™s going fine so far, thou the ā€œrā€ endings are quite hard to pronounce.

So cheers for now, and looking forward for new sentences in Yr iaith cymraeg!!!

Bye

2 Likes

Theyā€™re only distantly related, but Welsh borrowed so much vocabulary from Latin that thereā€™s actually quite a lot you might recognise:
Ceffyl, pont, eglwys, braich, ysgol, ysgol, ysgrifennu, dydd Llun, dydd Mawrth, dydd Mercher, dydd Iau, dydd Gwenerā€¦

Caballo, puente, iglesia, brazo, escala, escuela, escribir, lunes, martes, miĆ©rcoles, jueves, viernesā€¦

I donā€™t know any Spanish, but what about diwrnod (Welsh)/jornada (Spanish) meaning ā€˜dayā€™? Just occurred to me yesterday that ā€˜diwrnodā€™ is probably of Latin origin?

1 Like

Absolutely - in French it went via journede (the -d- was pronounced like -dd-, so jwrnedda in Welsh spelling) to journĆ©e and English ā€˜journeyā€™.

1 Like

Where in Kansas do you live? I live in Leawood Kansas and am a Welsh learner also. - Bob

Hello - I am a New Zealander living in Australia for last eight years. I Learned Some Latin at school a long time ago - Maori is NZā€™s 2nd official language so put effort into that and love that language Then Spanish on and off most recently with Duolingo where I discovered Welsh and cannot for the life of me write it. My Grandfather - John Owen- emigrated to this part of the world after WW1 and died when I was too young to know him. But I feel a kinship with that part of the world and want to learn more. This one sentence a day challenge is fun !! I canā€™t help but think how easy it would be for children at school to learn in this way - make as many mistakes as you need - just do it!! Listening and repeating is such a relief and so good for our brains :slight_smile:
And can anyone tell me more about the beautiful song and singer that leads into each lesson? Iā€™d love any suggestions about artists to listen to and info about folk music in Wales. Thanks so much

2 Likes

Welcome Carolyne!
Have a look at this thread to start with - The intro song - 'Wela i efo llygad bach i' and there are various threads about music (folk and otherwise!) but this is the main (huge) one - Welsh Music Videos and Audio Files

2 Likes

Thank you Siaron - Iā€™ve been haunted by that little earworm , canā€™t wait to hear moreā€¦
C

1 Like

Just a quick message to say hello to this community - which already feels, just from reading through some of the postings, a good place to be!
Iā€™m 47, a psychotherapist living in Cornwall with my two children, but all of my family on my motherā€™s side come from South Wales (Resolven and later Llanelli) and for me, this has always been ā€˜homeā€™ even though I was raised in England. They were and those still with us are all first language Welsh speakers but somehow I dipped out as a child and have felt slightly cheated ever sinceā€¦ sounds odd, perhaps, but not being able to use the words and phrases that feel and sound like ā€˜homeā€™ has always made me feel as if something is missing. So. Iā€™ve decided the time has come to put that right and after several valiant but ultimately doomed attempts over the years back before the wonders of the internet where a learn Welsh book in the middle of a Cornish village didnā€™t get me very far Iā€™m determined now to make some real progress. Just one question; Iā€™ve been using Duolingo for the last couple of weeks and seem to be making good progress But now that Iā€™ve found this website and all its resources my questions are as follows:

1. does duolingo work well with the work on this site? I am enjoying the way itā€™s structured but just want a bit more of the ā€˜say somethingā€™ side of things which is how I found this - Iā€™m really looking forward to being able to speak with other beginners in the Slack whatever it is ā€¦
  2. is south or north on this site more compatible with Duolingo? Iā€™m De Cymraeg at heart for sure but at the moment I just want to begin being able to communicate and it is very likely that I will end up living up in the mountains of North Wales in the joy too distant future as that is where my mother is now based, right at the foot of Snowdonā€¦ :slight_smile:
    I am finding this all really stupidly exciting - it feels like a piece of the jigsaw beginning to be out into place ā€¦
    Diolch in advance,
    Ros
5 Likes