Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Hello!
I’ve just been doing the first 5 sessions and getting my head around that long tongue twisting first sentence! Thanks for this free and great thing SSiWelsh!
My grandmother spoke only Welsh until she was 30 and my mother did as a schoolgirl. I’m exploring it a little for this reason, out of curiosity and because I am studying poetry and would love to read/recite some in Welsh eventually.
If anyone has some good links to poetry in Welsh, past and present then please let me know,
thanks
W

3 Likes

I have just completed the 5 Days and really enjoyed being able to say a few words that were actually useful! We had some Welsh speakers here this week and they understood the whole sentence so that really boosted my confidence.

I’ve done over 200 days with Duolingo which is good for vocabulary but I prefer this one sentence method which is forcing me to use it.

My dad was Welsh but he only learnt the language when he retired. I recently found his ‘Teach Yourself Welsh’ book which he signed in 1990 and I’ve signed it too as I promised him I’d learn as soon as I could :grin:

I’m looking forward to continuing to learn, meet up with other Welsh speakers and to enjoy my heritage.

3 Likes

Really impressed with the one sentence thing! Its got all the struggle-and-give-up angles covered. Would like to learn more but not sure how to progress.

1 Like

Your next step could be to subscribe to the full course.
You might find these threads useful:

and also this https://nation.cymru/say-something-in-welsh/
:slight_smile:

I’m from Pembrokeshire Wales and have always wanted to speak Welsh. I’ve spent many years trying to learn Spanish with little success until I found pimsleur this year and have found it a game changer for me, but unfortunately they don’t do Welsh on there and I haven’t found any learning system similar, until this!! I have only done lesson one on here so far but already I know that this system of learning will be perfect for me! How far can you go with this? Is there anything more after the 5 days? I hope so :slight_smile: x

1 Like

One for @Deborah-SSi I think?

I’ve just seen comments from people on here about a subscription and levels 1, 2 and 3. So that sounds great! I’m just looking around to see if I can find prices x

@kate-55 sorry for the delay in replying to you, I’ve been on leave for a couple of days :slight_smile:

The Standard subscription is £10 a month, or you can make an annual payment of £100. Those give you access to all of our online material, so you can learn independently or register for the “6 Minutes a Day” course which will take you through Levels 1 and 2 with a weekly email setting out the tasks for the week.

1 Like

Hello I’m Elizabeth and I’m 61. I’ve always wanted to learn Welsh but never got around to it, in a previous job they offered 1 hour a weeks Welsh lesson, the problem was no one outside of this class spoke Welsh so it was difficult to learn outside of the classroom.
I’m now in a new job and they encourage Welsh and through them I found this site so thought I’d give it ago again so here I am.
I’m enjoying it immensely but still wish I could practice with someone else outside of this learning tool.

2 Likes

It sounds like you live in Wales, so check out the Menter Iaith organisation in your area. They may have activities that you can go along to, plus the Dysgu Cymraeg organisation for your area will have ‘Sadwrn Siarad’ - Saturday conversation sessions - from time to time. Once you can get along to a few of those, you start to know other Welsh learners in your area and you’ll find more Welsh speakers about :slight_smile:

I checked out Menter Laith but there was nothing local, however I have signed up to Welsh, Its starts in October 2 hours per week not enough really but this was the best time I got, its a start and hopefully I can gain experience and learn with others at my level which is beginner.
In the meantime I’ll still listen to “say something”

1 Like

I’m on challenge 7 level 1 and am enjoying it although a bit muddled between my,"Dwedest ti’s and wnest ti’s!!!
Have emailed Welsh friends with a few sentences but really, really don’t want to try to speak to anyone in Welsh for a few months. Jill
Have a myriad of activities an am learning as I may want to live in Wales.

1 Like

Hi
Newbie in Ceredigion. Returning to Cymraeg after some years of no lessons. I want to progress beyond halting conversation with no past tense. Having difficulties accessing the lessons on my phone. Dwi’n dal isio siarad Cymraeg achos dwi’n caru Cymraeg ond fedda i’n ddim cofio sut i siarad gyda pobl.

3 Likes

Hi @yr1arall

Ssiw is a great choice (because it works!).

Have you downloaded the App to your phone?..what sort of problems ar you having?

Rich :slightly_smiling_face:

I have downloaded the app to my android phone, yes. The menu is old course and when I go to do or download lessons it says ‘lesson queued’ and does nothing further.

1 Like

OK, just seen this - we have this issue running across two threads here :grin:

Hmm, so I’ve just tried this from scratch on my daughters phone - she had the download issue initially, until she unticked the option - and then when she pressed the cloud again it worked - what happens if you press the clouds next to some other lessons?

P.s. Also can i check you are subscribing or signed up to a course? - that’s another possible explanation!

@rich i have downloaded app without subscribing. there have been no options presented for subscription so far.

I see! So at least we’ve figured out what’s going on! :grin:

Yep, the App is just a teaching aid - so if you want to sign up to something, that is done on the SSIW website.

http://www.saysomethingin.com

There are courses where you get help and extra tasks or, just subscribe and work through wourself.

ok, thanks. so far i have been using the free sentence thing that comes in email and what i could access of old course 1.

diolch!

1 Like