Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Thanks for letting me know I posted in the correct place. I am thinking I am as tech-savvy as I thought. I have just finished Day 2 sentences. I guess we are to practice speaking sentences using the vocabulary from Days 1 and 2. Right/

1 Like

I am not sure whether I am responding or posting to 2022 folk. Am I. I keep seeing posts from 2019-2021.

Yes, practice building sentences with the vocab youā€™ve learnt - and even with the vocab you havenā€™t learnt! Throwing an English word in temporarily until youā€™ve learnt the Welsh equivalent is fine - it still reinforces the patterns and constructions, and the aim of the course is to give you these building blocks that can be adapted.

1 Like

Yes, 2022 folk are here - itā€™s just that some threads that started years ago are still running and still used, so you will see posts from further back too, but the most recent posts are always at the bottom of the thread.

Hi, Thanks for responding to my question9S0 so promptly. I worked on Day 2 material. Wow! Listening and responding was quite challenging. I must confess I had to use the pause button. I have a question. If I want/need to hear a lesson again, can I hold off the next dayā€™s lesson until I feel a little better . Or, is it best to plow away and keep up on a daily basis with each lesson?

1 Like

Yes, you can hold off the next dayā€™s lesson if you wish, but donā€™t be tempted to keep going over a lesson until you think youā€™ve totally ā€˜nailed itā€™ - itā€™s often better to move on rather than get bogged down in any one lesson. Your brain will be processing the information even if itā€™s not quite ready to play it back to you!

1 Like

Hello, @helen-gillotte-tropp.
It is wonderful that you are starting to learn Welsh before going to Wales. So many people donā€™t bother. Even if you just manage a few simple greetings, it makes all the difference. Do you know where in Wales you plan to go? Best wishes with your learning.
Sue

1 Like

I know someone else from the US, @helen-gillotte-tropp, who thought sheā€™d just learn enough to pronounce place names before visiting Wales. That was several years ago now, and these days sheā€™s a fluent Welsh speaker! It can become addictive! :joy:

1 Like

Shwmae Pawb! Hello Everyone! My name is Jerome. I am 58 years old and I live in the US. I live with my mum and 2 dogs. I enjoy cooking for my family, gardening, and singing.

So far, I am loving the SSiW approach to learning. I am also delving into a bit of Kernewek.

I have been learning Welsh on Duolingo for going on six years! SSiW has been great because it focuses on aspects of language acquisition that Duolingo leaves out (speaking and listening).

Why do I want to learn Welsh/Cornish? Well, Iā€™m a curious sort of person who has always been interested in how other people express themselves. In my youth, I poured over etymological dictionaries for ā€˜funā€™. Over the years, I have gotten quite a few languages under my belt, both academically and as a sort of hobby. When I started Welsh all those years ago, I fell in love with it.

I happened my way into the SSiW courses after having seen someone post about it on social media. I gave it a shotā€”and here I am!

Anyway, I hope I didnā€™t bang on too long.
Thanks so much for this terrific resource!
Cheers!
Jerome

3 Likes

Welcome to SSiW @jerome-j-de-pape! Best of luck - youā€™ve made a good choice :slightly_smiling_face: .

3 Likes

Thank you, Baruch!

Dw iā€™n yfed cwrw Castell Newydd, hefyd.

2 Likes

Pob lwc Trevor.

Okay @jerome-j-de-pape, TWO good choices!

2 Likes

What author, if I may ask?

I have started learning Welsh since last week. My name is Elvin and I live in the Philippines. Maybe you would start asking how and why I got interested in learning Welsh if there are almost (if there are few) no people speaking in Welsh. Well, I watched videos in YouTube and I got curious in one of Walesā€™ town which was very long. It piqued my interest and opened my interest in learning Welsh. I hope more Filipinos would also learn as I do. Diolch! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

How wonderful to have someone learning in the Philippines - a very warm welcome to the forum, Elvin - and what a beautiful family :slight_smile: :heart:

Thank you @aran for complement. I will try to learn Welsh Language here since I must be one of the pioneers of learning that language here in the Philippines. I look forward in learning more Welsh Lessons in the future. Diolch! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Croeso! It would be great to see more learners over there - Iā€™ll look forward to seeing how your pioneering goes! :slight_smile: :muscle: :joy:

Hello, I am trying to learn Welsh because I am moving to Cwmbach soon, from Bristol. Right now I speak English and BSL.
Iā€™m quite severely dyslexic, so Iā€™m interested to see if this method works for me.

I must admit, Iā€™m on lesson 2 and I already feel overwhelmed. I could either remember learn, oā€™r speak, but not both!

Is the method to just listen and do the lesson once, or should we do it several times and try and make it ā€œstickā€?

2 Likes

I think the general advice is; do what works for you, but donā€™t aim for 100% perfection

For me I tended to listen to lessons through a couple of times in the background before attempting them, and even then had to repeat many lessons. Iā€™m sure if you asked 100 people youā€™d get 100 variances on how exactly they used the lessons!
If repeating them works for you, do that but as soon as its mostly right move onto the next. Most things get repeated and solidified in later lessons anyway.
Iā€™d also add, for me the first 2 or 3 lessons were the worst for me in terms of trying to remember the English phrase and think on my feet. It got easier and I think they even mention something about ā€˜retraining your brainā€™ in one of the lessons.

I hope that helps but Iā€™m sure someone will add some more official (and better) advice soon.

Pob lwc!

2 Likes