Cycling across Wales

Day 3:

A wetter day today, and wetter the next so didn’t get a chance to update until I got home (home now).

After taking some advice from my fellow local bike enthusiast I took the B4405 north pf Machynlleth towards Tywyn. My subsequent choice to take an impromptu bike route diversion past Llanegryn proved to be one of the highlights of my trip.

After cycling past spectacular views of Cadair Idris, I found myself in Llanegryn. Chatting to a Welsh speaking local, with a lovely north Welsh accent, I was sent to the village hall for a cheap cup of tea. By chance I had stumbled upon the local village weekly meetup for tea and biscuits. Fate had shined on me it seems, the event only happening on a Thursday, and only between 10:30 am and 11:30 am. My timing was perfect. For £1 I got tea and biscuits galore, and most importantly of all, an amazing chance to speak Welsh with the village locals. I was invited back, so will have to go back when I get a chance. I recommend anyone passing Llanegryn on a Thursday 10:30 am to pop in. You’ll get a very warm welcome!

The rest of the day was followed with beautiful coastal cycle routes, through Dolgellau, followed by a busy A494 road cycle to Bala, to camp along the B4391 towards Llangynog. It was amazing to hear some much Welsh spoken in Bala in the chip shop, especially a bunch of young teenagers taken an interest in my trip and the trailer. Hearing them naturally chat to each other in Welsh was great to witness :slight_smile:

An amazing day, that left me with fabulous memories, and has made my learning of Welsh feel all the more relevant, seeing the language used so naturally by locals, especially in Gwynedd. How anyone who has visited these areas could call Welsh a dead language is far beyond me!

4 Likes

It really depended on the road. The most scenic routes were usually the least busy. Some times, however, to get to the next location, the use of busier main roads was required.

Some places even had dedicated cycle paths, which makes such a difference on busy roads. If we had more of these, more people would see cycling as a viable option, and we could reduce congestion immensely

1 Like

It’s just over 400km, so about 100km per day. Sixty miles or so at about 12MPH average…but speed not important.

I can highly recommend Ireland, particularly the Antrim Coast between Portrush and Larne. Fabulous ride.

I hope you can join me for at least some of Taith Heb Seasneg

I could not be happier for you! I grew up a couple of miles from Llanegryn, in Rhoslefain, although you may not remember much about that tiny hamlet…
Enjoy! Mwynheua!