Cymraeg in a shop

I work in a shop and I would like to learn more Welsh that I can use with my customers. I’m doing the deep end atm. But I’d like to learn more sentences that I can in work, especially as some people do siariad cymraeg gyda fi
Trying to think of things I say everyday, learning the numbers for money would be good I know counting but not the female counting for money.

Things I say in work:
Do you need a bag? ( is it oes bag gyda chi?)
This card machine here.
Do you have a loyalty card (it doesn’t matter about this one really as the explanation is too long)

Any resources to help me? Work Welsh online doesn’t have basic retail stuff sadly. If I learn a few more sentences it might help my confidence using Welsh a little bit more in work. Or half ways there :slightly_smiling_face: rather than a diolch and a brain freeze

4 Likes
  1. Well, Oes bag gyda chi means Do you have a bag. If you want to ask if they need (or want) a bag, you could say any of these:
    Dych chi angen bag?
    Dach chi isho bag?
    ’ych chi’n moyn bag?
  2. If you say that while pointing at the card machine you could just get away with Y peiriant’ma (This machine here) :slight_smile:
  3. My go-to dictionary app translates “loyalty card” as cerdyn ffyddlondeb, so that would give you the question
    Oes gyda chi gerdyn ffyddlondeb? (which you could nicely contract to 'sdachi gerdyn ffyddlondeb?)
3 Likes

To be 100% honest, I’d probably code switch here and go with 'sgennoch chi loyalty card (N) or 's 'da chi loyalty card (S). :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

That wins the award for the most difficult to pronounce new word I’ve encountered recently!

3 Likes

I identify with this feeling so much. It really made me chuckle.
There have been so many words I thought I’d never say and now they just roll off my tongue but, there’s always new ones, which is GREAT!!

2 Likes

If we’re going to discuss difficult words and phrases, what about “Oer yw’r eira ar Eryri”? There’s a tongue twister you have to practise a bit.
Or when you’re still working on ‘LL’, and the Welsh language is like, “Sefyllfa. Lleill.” :smiling_imp:

I still struggle with LL when it’s not at the start of a word. I’m fine with Lloegr, Llaeth and Llefrith, but I stuggle with sefyllfa, gwella, etc. I just can’t seem to move my tongue quickly enough.

1 Like