Daily news articles in Cornish for learners

Here’s a new initiative I’ve just heard about and thought others might be interested in — Bitesize Cornish Daily Cornish News

For a subscription, you get a daily (Monday to Friday) news article in Cornish, with English translation and vocabulary list at the end. I’ve signed up and so far it’s very good — nice to have a new bit of Kernewek to read every day, and it looks like a good way to learn a wider range of topical words than you get in most textbooks. (Today’s article was about the need for more “chiow prenadow” — affordable houses — in Cornwall. :wink: )

4 Likes

That sounds like a great idea… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

An erthyglow nowodhow pub-dydhyek, po an chiow prenadow?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(The daily news articles, or the affordable houses??)

Seriously, the articles do seem to be a great idea, although one does have to pay for them — and I see the fine print says the current advertised price of £4 per month is an introductory offer for the first 100 subscribers… the full price will be £8 per month, which when added up, is quite a lot per year. But I’m willing to give this some support and hoping it will expand — the same website is also proposing to offer a series of daily Kernewek lessons as well. As we’ve seen, especially thanks to the government’s complete funding cut, Cornish language initiatives need all the help they can get.

2 Likes