DETAILS IN HERE: Do you support a team other than Wales in the rugby?

I have this beautiful ‘Zazpiak Bat’ jersey, can I wear that?

Lucky me—both Canada (where I live) and Wales (where I come from) play in red shirts🧣

Canada’s not too bad. They could do well against Italy.

The thing is, Rugby League isn’t really Rugby, is it?

(That should start an interesting argument!)

No argument from me! Catch and wriggle rugby, we call it around these parts.

Good fishing @davidneale!!

Have a look at why Rugby League started and you may change your opinion. In fact I’m amazed that Wales didn’t change to Rugby League considering the numbers of working men playing.

Rugby Union is called “kick and clap” by League fans!

It is possible to enjoy both!

I don’t mind league, but I can’t get invested in it the way I can with Union. In some ways I find it like basketball: too much end to end, not enough going on in the middle. And the quality of the kicking is just… well, only a small step above NFL!

(That said, Dan Biggar missed an absolute sitter from 10 metres out today. The sort of kick you’d fancy yourself to make!)

I was having a discussion with a huge Rugby League fan last week. He was commenting how poor the skill set of the England RU team were in their first game of the world cup ( missing and dropping passes mainly).

I’d agree that kicking to touch is massively better in RU. Goal kicking is probably on a par and union kickers tend to be better at drop goals - possibly because a DG in League is only worth 1 point (but can and has decided crucial games).

Unfortunately Rugby League tends to go under the radar and that’s a shame because its an incredibly enjoyable and exciting game. Its let down by poor marketing and promotion and the international calendar is laughable in comparison to union.

I hopeyou get to watch some more league games, particularly the Rugby League World Cup which will be hosted in England 2021 and features mens, womens ans wheelchair rugby league under the one tournament banner.

I will continue managing Wales Wheelchair Rugby League until the World Cup is over and I hope to take Wales to at least the semi-final stage and maybe (fingers crossed) to the final itself in Liverpool 2021.

1 Like

I try to watch the Challenge Cup when it’s on TV (I don’t have Sky) but, perhaps because I’m not following any particular team, I just can’t get as engaged in it as I do with Union. And I suppose, as far as the world cup is concerned, there are so few top tier nations that I don’t really see it as a “proper” competition and so I don’t really care about the outcome. Plus the whole play-the-ball thing just seems so… artificial. Give me a proper ruck any day! And as for 6 tackles… just too American. Like it’s designed for people with short attention spans. I don’t hate League, I find it moderately entertaining, but just not a patch on Union for spectacle.

I wish you the best of luck with that! :slight_smile: