Discord

I went onto discord tonight. It’s nice enough and doesn’t seem too spammy. There are only a few Welsh learners there, who where early learners. There are also areas for Cornish, Manx, Irish, Scots Gaelic and Breton for those so inclined.
Indeed I had a nice chat yn Cymraeg, while the other people were using translators to understand what I was saying and then translate back to me. Somewhat bizarre, but nonetheless at least it’s practice.

The trouble with these sorts of things is getting the momentum of being a regular hang out to chat live in Welsh for learners. The site has facilities for live audio chat (though I haven’t tried this yet) and this would possibly be a bit less formal than Skyping. I just used a web browser, but there are apps available, Andrord, Apple and even for us Linux peeps #:O)

3 Likes

Interesting. It might be worth having an unofficial SSiW discord channel - it could have a couple of areas for general chat and asking for help and such, an area specifically for Welsh chat, and a voice chat area for informal practice. Because of the nature of discord, it wouldn’t require somebody to maintain a google hangout for group chat.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea!

I play a lot of PC games and am familiar with it.

2 Likes

SSiw is a word game after all.
We could have a Welsh Halo team (well if I ever played Halo that is)

2 Likes

Ooh! What multiplayer games are you guys playing? It might be fun to create a Welsh group/team/guild/clan/whatever somewhere :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I usually don’t play multiplayer games especially not “combat” ones, but I used to play Pangya online golf from the very beginning until its transfer from Albatross18 to Gamerage and then until sad end of it, but I never encountered people who’d speak Welsh or would have Welsh guild there. Did anyone play Pangya on whatever server? it might not be exactly the game for those of you who play Halo or such things but it was fun and it was unique online golf game which provided many special powers, effects and things …

To be honest (ups, don’t they say I’m techy? …) I’m not too familiar with discord except for this forum (which basis on its software) but I presume it works more or less all the same way.

Oh, and I’m happy there - besides @Novem - are other gamers too! I don’t play them now anymore (as I’m too awkward to be in any team :smile:) but they’re still my field of interest especially when June comes and E3 with it. Staying awake and waiting for Sony E3 media breefing is special occassion - always. :slight_smile:

(Hmmm … SSiW discord discussion guild is obviously in shape already :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

If someone wants to join the existing server, here is the link:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Cookie and thank you for the link.

I’m on, just in case, although I don’t play games (almost) at all.

1 Like

Right now, people just chat with each other. So don’t worry. No one will force you to play anything hahaha

1 Like