Do you consider yourself a "Welsh Speaker" yet? If not, why not

On the form to apply for my daughter’s place in secondary school it asked the question “are you a Welsh speaker?” and gave a choice of 2 boxes to tick of either “yes” or “no” . I really wasn’t sure which one to tick but after thinking for a couple of minutes I ticked the “no” box and put “dysgwyr” in brackets next to it.
It’s a really difficult question to answer . I think that I consider myself somewhere inbetween . In terms of being able to hold basic conversation fairly fluently then I guess the answer would be yes I am a Welsh speaker but in terms of being able to converse fluently in any situation about anything , just like I can in English or understand everything that is said to me or understand everything on s4c or radio Cymru with ease then there is a very long way to go. I think that when I get close to that then I will be able say with certainty that I’m a Welsh speaker .

1 Like

Oh @Sam84, you are a fantastic Welsh speaker, not a shadow of doubt! What a horrible question to have on a form though. I guess I would have hesitated on a question that black and white too, but lacking your modesty I’d have just plumped for yes. (Luckily they didn’t have it on our secondary school form!)

2 Likes

Sam, you are a definite ‘Yes’. Never hesitate again.

3 Likes

Awful question - but you’re a Welsh speaker, chief. I’ve met you, and I’ve never spoken English to you, so what else could you be? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I honestly think in this context they cannot mean ‘totally fluent in all subjects’! Lots of moniglot English speakers are pretty limited in ability to have a serious debate. Try discussing physics with a non-scientist, or even a non-physicist! Medicine has its own jargon and most ordinary folk are not clued up unless they watch Casualty with more than the usual amount of interest! You could probably manage in most normal situations. So you are a Welsh Speaker! And spatters of English are endemic anyway and don’t disqualify you! Only ex-learners apologise for not knowing the Welsh word!

2 Likes