Does anyone else catch themselves speaking English in a Welsh accent?

But I don’t even have that one! A lot of my pronunciation sounds southern English :frowning: but my vowels usually give it away…

2 Likes

I don’t think I do (more likely to find me speaking Welsh with a London or Cardiff accent) but what makes me smile is when, on very rare occasions, I want to use an English word in English conversations and I can only think of the Welsh one. I know this makes me sound a bit too much of a ‘bloke’ but this morning I wanted to tell my son to get the ironing board out but couldn’t remember what it was called (!!) but the word smoothio came to mind first before I could think of the word ‘ironing’.

1 Like

Sounds reasonable for those of us who can remember the term smoothing iron.

2 Likes

smoothing iron.

I can even remember “dashing away” with one. :laughing:

4 Likes

During the war we often lost electricity and it wasn’t vwry well provided anyway. The iron was run from a light bulb socket! But when no electricity was available, the flat irons were brought out and heated on the kitchen range. Mam warned me not to touch when iron was placed on its end on asbestos mat on table. “Why?”… i was never an easy child. “Because its hot,” “What’s hot.?” Well, i was about 2! i suspect Gran said I’d know if I touched the iron. Foolish Gran! And of course, budding scientist reached out and pressed hand flat on iron! They peeled me off. Some one ran for the doctor. While doing what he could to alieviate the effects of my experiment, the doctor looked down. Now in retrospect, Imthought I remembered the conversation above, but I suspect I remember what i thought rather than said. Because that was when the doctor noticed that the bawling baby was not quite normal. "This child is tongue-tied! " he declared. And he snipped the bit of skin attaching my tongue to the back of my gum at the top of my mouth. He said I would never stop talking. This proved true but I suspect it was based on knowledge of my mother! So i did not dash away with the smoothing iron, I dashed myself against it!

2 Likes

A very hard way to learn the laws of thermodynamics! :anguished: :smile:

2 Likes

Uncle Albert, is that you?!

1 Like

Just coming back here, so as not to spoil the flow of the Cymraeg Switchio thread.

I must admit that after years of watering down my Geordie accent so as to be understood, it has now taken on a slight S Wales feel. Currently I am working in an Avonmouth (Bristol) office, but on jobs that are based in Ceredigion. So in conversations, I tend to ease off on the pronunciation of place names just a tad, so that it doesn’t sound as if we are talking about different towns.

I wish!
I can’t even speak Welsh in a Welsh accent! :laughing:

3 Likes