Duolingo

Shwmae pawb, I am finding Duolingo interesting from the point of view, it is keeping me up to date with my French. I am also using it to back up the Spanish Iā€™m learning with Aran and SSIS. Not only that, but Iā€™m trying out the Italian as well!
Now then, Iā€™ve been wondering when if at all someone would get the Welsh language on to Duolingo. Could it fit into the pattern of these languages Iā€™ve mentioned, I wonder. Someone please have a try!

Thomas: I understand if the mods want to focus on finishing this course before moving onto Duolingo

Iā€™ve been using Duolingo to scrape the rust off of my schoolboy German, and it has been great for that, but if there were a ā€œSay Something in Germanā€ I would start it today. If for some reason I could not do both Duolingo and SSiGerman at the same time, Iā€™d leave Duolingo in the dust in a heartbeat. Aran and our other friends at SSi international are really onto something unique and innovative and I certainly hope they stay where they are making more materials.

That said, if there were a Duolingo Welsh course, Iā€™d probably do it. My reading of the duolingo forums suggest that it will not happen soon, if at all. But much probably depends on the success of the Irish course, which is about to graduate to beta status this week or next.

2 Likes

I have just noticed that the Welsh duolingo course is 92% hatched and is estimated to launch tomorrow (though their estimations are never accurate)

2 Likes

I have been using Duolingo too to brush up my schoolboy German - but I too would dearly love to see a SaySomethinginGerman. SSi has an approach of incomparable quality for learning to converse - in my opinion, anyway.

So Iā€™ll see you at SSiG the moment it happens. Till then ā€¦ ich spreche bitte Deutsch,

Justin

Just got to fix this last little challenge with the course creation tool, and itā€™ll be on the wayā€¦ :sunny:

4 Likes

[quote=ā€œJustinandEirwen, post:6, topic:499ā€]
ich spreche bitte Deutsch, [/quote]

???

Ich spreche ā€œbitteā€ Deutsch.

Sorry, no offence meant, @JustinandEirwen but what should this supposed to mean? I mean, I understood perfectly what youā€™ve written but am not sure if this is what you did actually try to tell us.

One more candidate to ā€œfixā€ whatā€™s forgotten in terms of speaking/writing/reading Deutsch. I forgot many things on German side also ā€¦ :slight_smile:

I was trying to say ā€œI speak a little Germanā€.

Have I made a glaring error? It appears so. These amusing things happen when you learn phonetically.

I should have written:

Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch.

SSiGerman will come to the rescue soon Iā€™m sure,

Justin

1 Like

Ja! Das ist ausgezeichnet!

I thought it would be something like this what you meant to say.

Yes, SSiGerman would come to rescue you (and all the rest) and to aid for me for a bit of renewal of my knwledge also. :slight_smile:

Oh, and, Iā€™m not 100 % sure but I believe Bisschen is written with capital B also. @brigitte am I correct here? Diolch. :slight_smile:

Hi Tatjana,

You have saved me from a lifetime of humiliation. Ever since I mistakenly copied what I thought I heard a teacher say when I was about 14 years old I have been making a ā€˜ā€˜bisschenā€™ā€™ fool of myself.

Worse - whenever I met a German I repeated this mangled phrase and when they smiled I thought they were admiring my fluency.

Now I realize they were smiling because they thought I was a half-wit. Eirwen is smirking at this moment and I read into that look that she thinks they may have been spot on recognising a fool.

Such is life!!

Justin

1 Like

Ah, Justin. You know from Cymraeg ā€¦ Paid becso! They understood youā€™re still learning a language and that you want to appear as much fluent as possible. Probably they were a bit amused with how you used the language, but still. It would maybe be better if one would mind that much to correct you though the way you wouldnā€™t feel bad or that you wouldnā€™t think you appeared a fool.

But you know ā€¦ we often more appear fools to ourselves then to those who potentially noticed our mistakes so ā€¦ calm down. Nothing drastically bad happened yet. :slight_smile: Iā€™m convinced youā€™re doing just fine.

But if it seams to you Iā€™ve still saved you from whatever ā€¦ then thanky you. Iā€™m glad I could be of any assistence. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My German is long gone, but doesnā€™t ā€œbitteā€ mean ā€œpleaseā€?

Yes, exactly. ā€œbitteā€ means ā€œpleaseā€.

Triumph!! Learned at age 3.5, last used in about 1973!!

Great! I bet thereā€™s something more what remained of what youā€™ve learnt. :slight_smile:

Ja und nein: http://www.dict.cc/?s=bisschen

Es kommt darauf an. It depends how you are using it. But it looks like ā€œein bisschen Deutschā€, wie Justin geschrieben hat, ist OK. :slight_smile:

BTW, for any potential or actual learners of German, dict.cc online dictionary and translation forum is a wonderful resource. Lots of sound samples. It supports other languages besides English<>German, but I think that pairing is the best supported.

sehr gut!

Justin

Ahh ā€¦ du hast wieder wieder ausgezeichnet gemacht.

Schmae!

I think the course is progressing rapidly, but not quite as fast as Duolingo is reporting. The Facebook group that was involved in starting the course recently reported it was actually at 40% completion and a previous post indicating a January/February release, https://www.facebook.com/groups/welshduolingo/ which is still very quick progress in comparison to other course that have been in the incubator for far longer :slight_smile:

Flynn

1 Like

Fortunately, they do eventually hatch - if a few months later than predicted.
I have just watched Duolingo Russian hatch after several hatch-date forecasts passing without anything happening.

Justin

Yes, I guess it depends on whether you are using it as a set phrase, or if you literally mean ā€œa small biteā€ Just like with ā€œein paarā€ (a few) vs ā€œein Paarā€ (exactly two well-matched things).