Dw i ddim, d o'n i ddim, nest i ddim, s o'n i ddim, sain!

I probably haven’t spelled them correctly but I always get confused with them, so can someone give me some clarity please? Much appreciated.

Dwi ddim is “I don’t”. Don i ddim and nes i ddim are both “I didn’t”, past tense. Which one you’d use depends on the verb (most seem to use nes i ddim, but some use don i ddim).

The reason for that is unclear at the best of times, so don’t worry about it. I think it’s something you just have to accept and remember - but I strongly suspect that people will understand you even if you use the wrong one.

Son i ddim is one I haven’t come across, so I suspect you’re doing the other course from me.

As Alan said, these are all various ways of expressing the negative.
Dw i ddim = I am not
d o’n i ddim = I was not (for an ongoing action)
nes i ddim = I did not / I was not (for a completed action)
s o’n i ddim = I was not (heard more in the South)
sa i’n = I am not / I do not (heard more in the South)

3 Likes

How would ‘s o’n i ddim’ be used? Is it more like ‘do’n i ddim’ or ‘nes i ddim’? And also, where does the S come from?

On the southern course the condional tense…which might be found in a text book as:

(Pe) taswn i - if I were to / if I would

Eg

I wouldn’t do that if I were you, or…

Would you go if I go to?

…appear in the challenges shortened right down to the last three letters.

In the southern course in general, the ‘w’ is an ‘e’ in the ending for this tense. (Both of these things seem common in my limited experience)

So in the challenges

if I were you = 'sen i’n ti

This would make

If I wasn’t = 'sen i ddim

Eg

he said there would have been room in the car, if I wasn’t going

Rich :slight_smile:

I think ‘so’n i ddim’ is probably swn i ddim I wouldn’t (be) - you don’t have a ddim with the so i/sa i/smo fi sets.

Fydden ni ddim yn gofyn hynny tasen i’n ti. Mae’n “can of worms”.

1 Like

Shouldn’t that be Mae’n “gan of worms” ? :smiley:

2 Likes

Only if they’re mutating :wink:

2 Likes