Dysgu Cymraeg courses

Thank you both for your advice. I have enrolled as you suggest.
Meyrick

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr, Deborah. Iā€™ve just spent a year learning Cornish in an online evening class (I passed Grade One!) and this looks like an excellent way to refresh my Welsh. Stay well all.

1 Like

Who attended one of these courses? Do you have any feedback? Any advice for others considering something similar in the future?

Iā€™ve got my first session of Canolradd1 tonight, having just finished level 3 SSIW. Looking forward to it, but aware I will need to knuckle down with the reading & writing!

2 Likes

I started Uwch 2 part 1 last night. This is 2 hours a week for a year with Cardiff. We started well with the introductions. Then we lost the tutor. Perils of online courses. We had a good time just talking for the rest of the session, but I expect that we will have to do some real work next week.

1 Like

I did the Rustbusting/Lluchioā€™r llwch course at the weekend and really enjoyed it! :slight_smile: There was lots of opportunity to chat with others and a good blend of light and more formal/grammar based materials. I felt it was a really good preparation for restarting the new term :slight_smile: I think there is a worry that some learners who do the formal courses donā€™t practice outside of the classroom and therefore they donā€™t get much practice over the summer. Even some of the learners who live in Wales said they they donā€™t get the opportunity to practice outside of the classroom, so I always mention Welsh Speaking Practice to them - so hopefully youā€™ll have had some more requests to join WSP! :slight_smile: I wonder if there is a way of promoting WSP to Dysgu Cymraeg so that they let all their students know about it? :thinking: Iā€™ve also done other weekend and summer courses like this with Dysgu Cymraeg and can really recommend them! :slight_smile: And I nearly forgot to mention that lots of them are free! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good point! Iā€™ll pass that one along :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve done two sessions so far of Canolradd 1 with Goleg Gwent (having completed SSiW level 2, plus Old Course 1) and have been really enjoying them. I think for me it will work well to continue with SSiW alongside so as to get the benefits of both methods. The SSiW method works brilliantly in that I learn the material more quickly and remember it better, and I enjoy the more traditional ā€œclassroomā€ aspects with Dysgu Cymraeg of more writing, grammar and explanation as you go along.

Although Iā€™m not always sure how to fit it all together, Iā€™ve found the SSiW training in ā€œjust go with it and trust the processā€ absolutely invaluable! If my brain feels a bit scrambled at times I know thatā€™s a sign that learning is happening and the pieces will all fall into place over time.

I also really recommend the Rustbusters courses - I did the Sylfaen in preparation for starting Canolradd 1 and it was very good.

1 Like

Since @Deborah-SSi is asking for feedbackā€¦

I couldnā€™t decide what to do or even if I should join a course, or maybe go for some 1:1 lessons, or just go on almost entirely self-thought as I had done so far.

Last week I was invited by a tutor I know from Duolingo discussion groups and Dysgu Cymraeg Gwent to just try a lesson.
In the past I had enjoyed a few random lessons as special guest - one Mynediad in Aberteifi, a couple of virtual Sylfaen with the same tutor, Calan Mai one-day Canolradd course with a different tutor.
And it had been interesting experiences, so I thought ā€œwell, why not?ā€

The course had already started one or two weeks ago, but I joined them yesterday.
Turns out Level is Uwch 2. And I have to say I really enjoyed it!
It was three hours, so I was a bit tired in the end, but I did ok, and also the tutor said I did very well.
It was challenging enough to make interesting, but nothing way too complicated.
So I think Iā€™m going to stay.

Well, it was just one lesson, so there may be times through the year when I feel a bit more lost. :sweat_smile:

But at the moment I would say @nia.llywelyn and Cetraā€™s suggestion to aim high is definitely a good tip! :wink:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s great, @gisella-albertini, well done! Definitely ā€œaim highā€ is the way to go.
Sue

3 Likes