Dysgwr y Flwyddyn - Learner of the Year - congratulations to our finalists!

Alison and Phil Stone also have tickets!

1 Like

Gwych!

If anyone can add surnames to those listed above missing surnames, I will certainly see what I can do.

I’m Crowley (+1) :wink:

2 Likes

Alison Stone!

1 Like

Too true! I thought that I would just dip into a few Level 2 North challenges while waiting for the remainder of Level 3 South. I planned to respond using the southern phrases that I had learned, just noticing the differences, but it is impossible. The northern feedback soon dominates and the brain is converted.
Sue

1 Like

I’ve booked my ticket. @Nicky Can you add me to the list?

2 Likes

Hi Hishiv. No problem at all. What name did you have on your form?

Hishiv Shah

1 Like

Done and done!

1 Like

Hello All
Sorry about the delay. Indeed I did pull out the competition, so an explanation is deserved. When I first started learning I never expected that the I would be entered into this competition, and wasn’t aware of its existence. I don’t know many Welsh speakers, but those that I do now are very enthusiastic about the language, and my learning. So, when they wanted to put me forward for DYF, I felt in some way obliged. The family that put me forward for the competition are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met in my life, and I felt I sort of ‘owed’ it to them as they had been really helpful, not just in terms of Welsh, but as friends and colleagues too.

However I wasn’t totally for taking part in the first place. For me the actual learning was rewarding enough for me. Believe it or not I’m not actually one for fame. I don’t really do social media! I’m generally an introverted person- though sociable and chatty enough with my friends. When Boom and Tinopolis were asking for interviews, it felt like a chore to leave my work and meet them. At the time I was writing up my thesis; a very stressful thing indeed. Thus i decided to pull out as it wasn’t something I was enjoying. I also felt it would be better to give a fairer chance to people who actually want to be there. The people I know were really supportive about the decision and understood my circumstances- I have my viva soon and I need to find a new job.

I was a privilege to take part and represent the community of learners, especially the University of SSIW. All the best to the remaining competitors!

21 Likes

I think it’s really important to be able to listen to yourself like this - sounds as though you made a difficult but important decision. Huge congratulations on having come so far with your Welsh, and on having been such an inspiration to so many when you don’t feel comfortable with that side of things… :star: :star2:

5 Likes

Hi Mihil,

I assumed on the social media thing - because I messaged you about a month ago on Facebook and still see you haven’t read it :D:D:D :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t beat yourself up, the achievement to get to the final was massive - and you’ve achieved a massive amount in the language already, and will achieve loads more.

My disappointment was that I never met you in person through the process. Hopefully I will see you during the Eisteddfod week at some point.

Take it easy and speak very soon.
Nicky

4 Likes

I so wish that it was easier for us to be there at the table, representing SSiW and showing our support, congratulations and thanks - it sounds as if it’s going to be a fabulous evening.

Aran and I have discussed the possibility of him coming down alone for one or two nights, whilst I stay with kids/dog/mother in law, but it’s such a very long journey, plus that he’s also away from home in Washington in late August.

We are hoping for lots of photos and video clips from you lot, so I’ll be keeping an eye on here and social media for updates on your shenanigans. :wink:

4 Likes

So this is my list thus far. I’ll submit this on Friday (20th), so if you are coming and haven’t put your name down… let me know.

2 Likes

The list is now in with the Eisteddfod, I don’t know how big the tables are going to be on the night - but you’ll all either be on my table, or on the table next to me - depending on the size!

4 Likes

Sounds like we’ll be having a mini-bwtcamp right there!

3 Likes

So, what I believe are the final details are through with us now. No big surprises - but here are the timescales so people can plan where they go afterwards, buses, trains and so forth :smiley:

9am to 11.30am: Final Interviews for the 4.
1pm to 2pm: Shwmae Caerdydd/Maes D: This was billed as a Q&A session, however it now looks to be something of a “Meet the Finalists” sort of event, which is still part of the final.

7pm: Awards Dinner - Y Dosbarth, Cardiff & Vale College, CF10 5FE.
7.20pm: Welcome speech
7.35pm: Dinner
9pm: Videos of our “Get to know the Finalists” that we filmed.
9.30pm: Presentation of the award.

See you there!

6 Likes

Good luck to you @Nicky.

2 Likes

LLongyfarchiadau a Pob Lwc, Nicky. (Not that you’ll need it!)

3 Likes

Couple more bits came out today!

Radio Cymru interview - which took place on a bench behind Y Cwps and features @Novem

BBC Cymru Fyw questionnaire - which took place at the bottom of my street

10 Likes