East Coast Time Zone Meetup Beginning

We had another fun meeting with @Abbey @AnnaC @Allison @KellyMoore and a surprise visit by @Mari, I think that’s Mari Davies. Unfortunately Anna had technical difficulties. Let’s troubleshoot next week and see if we can solve the problem. If it continues we can try other platforms, for sure, as I don’t want to exclude anyone due to technicalities. Thanks all for coming and looking forward to next week, November 1.

1 Like

No worries, I’m glad you came and participated and contributed.

I’m sorry you couldn’t make it work either. So I can try to help troubleshoot, which browser did you use, Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer? I use my PC and see if I can recreate your problem and find a solution.

Thank you for the offer of help. I use Chrome. I have a usb webcam, and I clicked both the phone icon and the camera icon on the conference site to get audio and video. That worked last week. This week I could not see or hear anyone else, but I could see myself on my screen. I could hear multiple people when I phoned in, but my phone audio kept dropping out. Pretty sure the phone issue was unrelated to the conference call, as I had it earlier in another call.

Just as a side note…I personally find it much easier to have a group conversation when I can see who is speaking, especially when I don’t know the people I am speaking with. For me, it’s hard to keep track of the voices and know who is who and who said what without video. It’s also easier to have facial expressions and gestures when trying to communicate in another language :slight_smile:

Glad to hear you all had fun tonight. Hopefully we can figure out how to get me connected next week.

@Delawarejones, I was thinking that next week we could talk about a favorite Halloween or Autumn memory. If you want. I don’t want to take over for you, it was just a thought I had. And I was also thinking that posting some vocabulary might help people construct their stories. I put a few down, but I need help with translations. Also, please add other words if you have them, or correct the ones I have incorrect.

Autumn-Yr Hydref

Fall-Chwympo

Leaf-dail

Colors-lliwiau

Autumnal colors-lliwiau hydrefol

Rake-cribin

Raking-Cribinio

Pumpkin-pwmpen

Halloween-Calan Gaeaf

Candy-losin

Costume

Scary

Pie

Apple-afal

3 Likes

Helo!

I’m very interested in this but I am a beginner–is it okay if someone basically just observes at first? It sounds like a wonderful opportunity though. I’m just an American who’s fallen in love with Welsh–no ancestry, no Welsh friends, no good excuse, nada. I actually feel somewhat silly. I should learn French like a normal person living near Quebec…but…dw i’n caru Cymraeg a dw i ddim yn hoffi French! :wink:
Cheers and nos da ~S

1 Like

Definitely join! We are all learners! By the way, I am kind of like you with why I’m learning Welsh. I love the language and I am enjoying learning about Wales. I hope to visit one day. Please do join us, it is really fun!

3 Likes

@KellyMoore - Syniad gwych! (Great idea!) My topic will work on any week, so let’s go with yours and it was very kind to create a list of autumnal words to use.

@sarah-17. You are absolutely welcome to join/listen/participate, like KellyMoore said. So far we are all learners, and we speak more English than Cymraeg for now. Because of your sentence, I’m guessing you know more Cymraeg than your confidence will allow you to express. No worries we are a group of people who, like you, want to be siradwr o Gymraeg, and the only way we’re going to improve is to speak and listen with others.

3 Likes

@jennifer-thomas-mend @SusanDavies @KellyMoore @AnnaC @violetsnow @johnowen @Allison @Abbey @laurawydapszeniczny @sarah-17

Bore da, Pawb (Good morning, Everyone). Tomorrow is Halloween and going with Kelly’s brilliant suggestion, this Thursday’s topic for discussion is to tell an autumn memory. It could be Halloween related, walking through the leaves, raking the leaves (ugh), coffee with a friend…something memorable that occurred in autumn.

See you all Thursday night a 7pm.

Anna, later today or tomorrow I’ll see if I can replicate the issue you had with your PC.

Lastly, Kelly was very kind to give us some fall words to help with our discussion.
Autumn-Yr Hydref

Fall-Chwympo

Leaf-dail

Colors-lliwiau

Autumnal colors-lliwiau hydrefol

Rake-cribin

Raking-Cribinio

Pumpkin-pwmpen

Halloween-Calan Gaeaf

Candy-losin

Costume

Scary

Pie

Apple-afal

2 Likes

Sounds great! Regarding the vocab…as far as I know, cwympo means fall as in to fall (down), it’s not the autumn season. That is Yr Hydref as Kelly said. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I appreciate your help with the technical troubleshooting! Let me know when you want to try a test run.

Hey, Anna: @AnnaC

I just successfully logged on to the meeting using a PC with a Chrome browser and did not experience any issues. I wasn’t able to recreate your issue. Do you want to meet up 20 minutes before tomorrow’s meeting? Hoping that will be enough time to trouble shoot.

2 Likes

Thank you - that sounds promising. Tomorrow 20 minutes before the meeting sounds great. See you then!

Hey, Anna:

Go ahead and dial-in to the meeting with your phone, but do NOT try to login with your computer. I’ll have a PC running, too and we’ll login together and what issues occur and troubleshoot.

Dial-in number (US): (605) 475-4896

Access code: 267527#

2 Likes

Will do!

I’m looking forward to joining again tonight. I’m sorry again about the fussy baby last week. Hopefully his sleeping will be a little more normal tonight and I’ll be able to participate (more quietly) the whole time.

Never apologize for a fussy baby. They do what they do, when they want to do it. The really question was he being fussy in Welsh? I can’t remember. :smiley:

1 Like

We had another fun weekly meet up with @Abbey @Allison @AnnaC @KellyMoore
Kelly had an awesome suggestion for todnight’s topic, autumn. And we learned about kids sliding into big piles of leaves, how hot glue is a friend, sugar cookies are a kids best friend, missing crisp fall days, and lots of other great stories.

I want to say, I’m very grateful to have such great people contributing to this meet up and they all help me and one another to be a better speaker and listener.

2 Likes

Hi @delawarejones and everyone!
I’m so sorry I missed the call last night. Surprise work meeting detained me. I do intend to join next week, so please keep me in the loop.
Thank you!

1 Like

No worries, Laura. Your name will be on the list of invitees I send out next Mon or Tues.

1 Like

I’ve added this to the list of meetups at the end of the weekly newsletter with a link to this thread and your contact details @delawarejones. It sounds like it’s going really well!

2 Likes