English translation of all listening excercises

I don’t seem to be able to get the English translation for any of the listening exercises after Level 1
In the Advanced level, I can also only find the Welsh transcripts but no translations.
Can anyone help?

1 Like

Hi @anne-sheldon

Do you mean these translation files - the ones for the Advanced content?

Rich :slight_smile:

Hi Rich
Thanks for a speedy response. There doesn’t seem to be an English translation for the first seven conversations in the advanced level, is that right?
What about Levels 2 and 3? The listening exercises say they have a transcript and translation but the English doesn’t appear
Anne

OK, I think I see what you are saying you mean that the top few conversations on the Advanced Web page don’t have any English associated with them - can I check that is what you mean? (Screenshot below)…

Yes, that’s correct.
As well as that, there is no English translation for any of the Level 2 Listening exercises☹️
Anne

1 Like

Hi @anne-sheldon

Ok, so there are few things in this… I will copy @beca-brown so that she is just aware of the potential confusion here as there have been a few similar questions and comments recently…

…firstly, if you are using the website, they are in reverse order in a way (whilst there is no strict sequence) - the App offers them the other way around…but the more advanced stuff is to the top and in particular Becca has decided for the more recent Story content that just a transcript should be provided.

This is with the view that they are for those people who are towards the end of their Advanced listening…So, these deliberately don’t have translations…

…there are also a couple of recordings which are from the old Growth Club towards the top - which held the fort when Becca was unwell - which also don’t have tranations - I’m not sure whether these will stay longer term or whether they will be removed…

Everything else (which is below) has a translation.

So, from experience, if you are just starting Deg Y Dysgwyr is a good place (you can scroll down and find these) as these are conversations with people who ‘learned’ comparatively recently - they therefore don’t speak too fast…

…so, I would do the Becca a’i Phobl ones next - these start at the bottom, as it were. If you have done the southern course there are a list of numbers of the conversations with people from the south that I can dig out.

Personally I would do the ones with story content - towards the top - later in your listening journey as these bring in other elements on top for your listening - such as written Welsh constructs and extra levels of description and refinement associated with something written down which you just don’t get in normal conversation (my approach being ‘one thing at a time’ - yours might be different)…

Let me know. I hope that helps in some way!

1 Like

You’re a star! That’s really helpful thank you, Rich. I have hearing loss so having access to the transcripts and translation is really important as I can’t always make out what I’m hearing.

Last question…
With regard to the Level 2, are the translations just not included?

Anne😊

1 Like

OK I wasn’t sure what you meant by level 2 - let me know…

Hi Anne, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Yes as Rich says these first items with no translations are not strictly part of the Advanced Content stuff, and were put there to tide people over while I was ill with Sepsis last Autumn.
I think I’ll take them down now as they’ve served their purpose and are a bit confusing really.
Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the advanced content.
Take care, Beca

1 Like

Hi Beca, thanks for your helpful reply.
Are you able to answer the question about the level 2 listening transcripts? The Welsh transcript is there for all of them but no English translation

Anne

No I’m not to be honest but I will ask…

That’s very helpful Rich. I went through and listened to the first deg y dysgwr, and couldn’t believe how much i understood! Very exciting! I also learned some new words using the transcript, and when i read the translation i had only missed one little thing :blush: ssiw is an amazing teacher!!
@beca-brown this was my first look at the advanced content, and i think i would have felt a bit overwhelmed with where to start if i hadn’t read this thread. I’m wondering if just a little note at the top with some info on the different sections would help people just going in for the first time. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to listening to more thank you! :grinning:

2 Likes

Yes you’re quite right. Will discuss this with @aran, while keeping the suggestions re best listening practice. Many thanks for the feedback and so glad you found the items useful.

3 Likes

Nice to hear you on Dewi Llwyd y bore 'ma… :+1:

…do you get the papers the night before?

I’ve always wondered this on the paper reviews…or do you have to get up really early on the day to read through everything in order decide which things to talk about?

2 Likes

Well spotted! Well this was my first paper review from home, so it was a bit different!
Usually I go into the Bangor studio by 6am and we get all the papers there. I go through them with Dewi Llwyd and the other reviewer goes through his or her papers at whichever studio he or she is, then we have a meeting with the producer and decide which stories, the order and who leads on what.
Now, reviewing from home, we had to check the websites that aren’t behind a paywall from 6pm onwards last night as most of Sunday’s stories are up by then, and then we received pdfs of all the papers’ main stories over email at 6.15am this morning. It’s very different, and I found it challenging scrolling quickly from one pdf to another on my computer screen and trying to open links from websites and stuff, all while talking and trying to sound relaxed!
It was also strange not having Dewi across the way to me because I’m used to the eye contact and being able to let him know if I haven’t much to say on a certain subject! This time I just had to plough on as best I could!
But I think I got away with it…!

1 Like

…it was totally professional - no hint of a problem - a no loss of connection at any point either!

Post Cyntaf has been quite entertaining recently with everyone’s dodgy broadband connections.

( I don’t know if you heard it but a couple of weeks ago Kate Crocket did the first half an hour of the show totally by herself because the line was down to both Dylan Jones and Gwenllïan Grug - she did the news bulletin, the weather, the travel - the news reports - everything :smile: - she did great!)

1 Like

Oh blimey! Well Kate is a consummate professional, but how scary! I had a technician checking my line yesterday to make sure it was ok, and I had to use headphones for a cleaner sound. I’m doing Dros Ginio on Tuesday so at least it’s a practice run!

1 Like

Ooo, I’ll listen out - I’ve added that to my portfolio recently whilst I’ve been decorating :smile:

Are you allowed to say what the topic is?!

1 Like

It’s community spirit during Covid. (Now I’ll have to kill you… :wink:)

1 Like

:open_mouth:

1 Like