Exeter Welsh Chat for Learners / Grŵp Sgwrsiau Cymraeg De Gorllewin Lloegr

Annwyl pawb
Aeth cyfarfod ddoe’n dda iawn, mi gaethon ni amser gwych yn y caffi Llyfrgell Caerwisg. Naethon ni sgwrsio yng Gymraeg a Saesneg. Ysgrifenon ni dipyn bach am hanes Cymru neu amdanom ni ein hunain i ddarllen i’w gilydd. Croeso i aelod newydd Jane!
The meeting yesterday went really well, we had a great time in the café in Exeter Library. We chatted in Welsh and English. We wrote small pieces about Welsh history or about ourselves, read them out and tried to translate. A very warm welcome to new member Jane!
Bydd y cyfarfod nesa ar 29 Mis Chwefror, 2pm, dal yn y caffi Llyfrgell Caerwisg.
The next meeting will be on 29th February, 2pm, still in the café in the Exeter Library.
See you there!
Steff

1 Like

Hi Catherine
Great to hear from you. We are a small but growing group and you would be most welcome to our next meeting on 29th February at 2pm. We will chat in Welsh (slowly) and English and you would be welcome to speak / listen as you feel most comfortable and try any new phrases out if you’d like. We’re very chilled and all keen to learn as much as we can from each other!
Some of us will bring a small piece in Welsh to read out, listen to and translate and I think Jane is bringing some books for us to work through.
We understand entirely you being nervous, we all were to begin with but do come along, it’s very relaxed and we all ask ‘how do you say X, Y or Z?’ very often.
Hopefully you’re free
Hwyl
Steff

1 Like

Hi Steffan, or anyone else involved with this group. We have a list of regular SSiW meet-ups which goes out to our learners in the weekly email. I would love to include details for this group as well. Currently the details we have for an Exeter group are as follows -

Exeter - FORTNIGHTLY, Mon nights, 7.30pm, The White Hart, South St, EX1 1EE (Contact @carolinewhite to check on the week)

Would you please be able to update me with regularity/dates of meet-ups, location, main contact and any other info you think I may need . Diolch! :slight_smile:

Hi Steff

I used to organise a group in Exeter but never got enough people to turn up at the same time. If I can get the time off work I will try to get to the library at the end of February.

Someone else contacted me before Christmas but I am not sure that they can make daytime but a one off might be possible.

Hope to see you soon

Caroline

Hey Caroline
Anne Greig mentioned in our very first meeting that there used to be a group in the pub. It’s a slowly growing group currently with maybe as many as six coming next time! We have links with the SE Cornwall group so a combined meet up sometime would be great. You would, of course, be very welcome indeed, it would be super to meet you. We’re very relaxed, this time we chatted in Welsh and English as needed, read out some pieces we’d written in Welsh (about ourselves and Welsh history) and translated together.
Hopefully see you in February or sometime soon thereafter.
Hwyl
Steff

Hi Catrin @CatrinLliarJones
I have updated your central record for Exeter, we meet frequently (monthly on average) but irregularly. I will be sure to tag you into all future meetings after the February one which you already have noted correctly. Please treat me as the main contact.
Diolch am gweithio yn galed amdanan ni gyd.
Steff

1 Like

hello! I am new to all this, I live in Exeter but I am from South Wales and I would love to join a Welsh speaking group. I have tonight met with a lovely lady who is doing amazing at welsh and we are hoping to come along to this meeting in the library (my welsh is basic but I am keen to learn) Hopefully we will see you there. Thank you . Georgia

Hei Georgia
Gwych! Edrych ymlaen i cyfarfod chi yn y Llyfrgell.
Great, look forward to meeting you on the 29th February, 2pm.
Steffan

Hi all!
Ive just started to learn Welsh - I have zero ability to speak yet but I would be up for meeting folk when I can say more than Sarah dw i! Haha

Hwyl!

Hi Sarah, why not come along this month if you can? We’re a small group and I too speak very little Welsh, but English is fine also. It’s good to meet up with people who are on a learning journey too! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello Sarah!
Apologies for my delay in replying but thankfully I see Sandra has already. It would be great to see you at the next meeting, do feel very welcome to come along no matter where you are with your Welsh. We will speak in both languages and you can involve yourself as you feel comfortable. We seem to have gone into orbit slightly with the levels of interest recently! I started last Autumn with me and one lady (Anne) and now, if everyone, came who has said they could we would have eight at the next meeting! So you wouldn’t be on your own and you definitely won’t feel exposed or pressured to talk in Welsh, we’re very relaxed about it all!
We gather for a coffee in the cafe, chat a bit bilingually, get the dictionaries out, get to know one another, ask what someone else has just said or ask how one would say something in Welsh, read a piece in Welsh and translate…it’s all good, interesting stuff.
Enough babble from me, hopefully see you in a couple of weeks.
Hwyl
Steff

Hi. Just to confirm that I am happy to bring some children’s storybooks along to our next meeting. Two of them are teenage stories and three of them are young children’s picture books. I find them fascinating but have had to buy the English versions of some of them to help me work out what’s going on! I haven’t got very far with the teenage books yet.
Jane :joy:

Hi Jane
Mae hwnna’n swnio gwych!
That sounds great!
Mi fydda i’n dod a rhywbeth yn Gymraeg i gyfieithu hefyd.
I will bring something along to translate too.
Welai chi yna, see you there!
Steff

Annwyl pawb
Nodyn atgoffa bach i chi gyd, bydd cyfarfod nesa Dydd Sadwrn 29ain, 2yp yn y caffi Llyfrgell Canolog, Caerwisg.
Just a small reminder for you all, the next meeting will be Saturday 29th, 2pm in the café at the Central Library, Exeter.
Bydd Jane yn dod a llyfrau plant is gyfieithu, mi fydda i’n dod a rhywbeth hanesyddol i ddarllen yn Gymraeg hefyd.
Jane will bring along some childrens’ books to translate and there will be something about Welsh history to read too.
Welai chi wedyn
Steff
@CatrinLliarJones

2 Likes

Hello Steff
Regretfully I can’t make the meeting on 29th February after all, Saturday pm is almost always a good time for me but I am working away in Oxford this weekend. I’m planning to go to the Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir St David’s Day concert to make up for the disappointment… and I still really hope to make it to the next Exeter meeting.
Hwyl am y tro
Catherine

Hello Steff
I can make it today after all, the Oxford trip has been cancelled. I’m looking forward to meeting everyone at Central Library this afternoon!
Catherine

Hi Catherine,
Newyddion gwych…great news.
See you later on.
Steff

I’m so sorry I’ve just had a message to say my father is very ill and I have to get back to Wales so I can’t make the meeting. I apologise for being doom and gloom online but I’ve left you a message on your phone Stefan and wasn’t sure if you’d be able to pick it up.
Jane

Hello Jane
Absolutely no problem, we wish you well and we’ll be thinking of you as you travel to see your Dad.
Kind Regards, pob fendith
Steff

Annwyl Pawb, Dear All
Beth dach chi’n feddwl am y cyfarfod nesa 28ain Mis Mawrth? Cario ymlaen neu gohiro?
What do we all think about the next meeting on 28th March, carry on or postpone?
Diolch
Steffan