Fear of speaking Welsh

Dan, just a few thoughts, and sorry if they have already been mentioned…

When I first started trying to speak I did this odd ‘planning’ phase. I used to imagine how it would go and when it didn’t I used to bash myself up about it! I wonder if you are over thinking/planning it?

I also got ‘stage fright’ when I was asked a question. It kind of went like this…

Q. Do you want a cup of tea?
A: Me thinking…“Crap which yes/no do I use… freeze… panic…” arrrggghhh, and failure to answer…

So, I developed a different techinque of trying not to directly answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’ (which I still often use) and it avoids a defininte affirmative or negative answer.

E.g

Q. “Do you want a cup of tea?”

A. “Thanks, that would be good/nice”

or

Q “Did you like that picture?”

A. I am not sure, I think so!

We also tend to want to be able the same things in our new language that we do with our native tongue. It is not a realistic expectation and we lose confidence as a result. Try and accept that your conversation is going to be a bit more ‘Childlike’ to start with. You cannot possibly expect to discuss the finer points of the news or a TV programme! Once you can accept this it is quite liberating; and there is nothing wrong in adding in the odd English word if you don’t know something. You can always look it up and use it next time!

Hope this helps!

:smile:

4 Likes

I have this too! I think with me it’s almost as if I don’t feel like ‘the real me’ when I’m speaking Welsh because my expressiveness is more limited. I can’t joke (not that I’m hilarious) or do idle chit chat the way I can in English. So it’s strange to think that, considering practically every Welsh speaker speaks English just as good as me, I could be having a conversation where I could be more myself. I know of course most speakers are understanding of this, but the other day I was in a class and talked to people just purely through Welsh who I’d just met and was a bit worried that I wasn’t really being very friendly and a bit abrupt, considering they were nice and chatty! I’m sure they were understanding but I just didn’t feel like I was my proper self.

5 Likes

I am sure that what they really thought was that you were a thoroughly decent chap who was making a very good job of learning Welsh :grinning:

4 Likes

Helo 'na.

Mererid dw i.

This is an interesting topic. Some really important points mentioned above regarding personality change and role-reversal issues in additional-language acquisition. I could talk all night about those issues, but that’s not going to help you in the short term. Therefore, I offer you some practical advice.

When you think that the seemingly ‘simple’ act of having a conversation with someone requires ALL these skills at the SAME time, there’s no wonder we develop a fear of speaking. Consider the following skills involved in having a conversation:

Deciding you’re going to say something, constructing a coherent sentence in your mind, saying this sentence out loud in order to be understood by another person, knowing how to pronounce Welsh, voice intonation, reading the other person’s body language, listening to the other person’s response, making out the individual words in the other person’s response, knowing what those words mean, processing those words, thinking of an appropriate response, thinking about how to word that appropriate response in Welsh and so on and so on. All this while your heart is beating fast and your perceived vulnerability levels expanding.

One strategy that I use is to get over my fear of speaking to a native speaker is to set myself ‘secret tasks’.

To do that, I have to separate these conversation skills and focus on developing one skill at a time, like so:

1)I practise how to ask someone for the time. I then ask a friendly-looking person on the street for the time, even though I know what the time is. By getting rid of that element of fear about not being able to understand the person when they something back to you, you’re concentrating solely on one language skill at a time: speaking. More specifically, speaking to a native speaker and seeing if you get understood. If the person checks his/her watch, then mission accomplished. If not, try again or go back and perfect your pronunciation until another day. It doesn’t matter whether or not you understand what they say back to you as that wasn’t your goal in the first place (although checking the time before asking the person for the time at least means you can anticipate the response). Then either thank them and move on, or if they’ve carried on with the conversation past your current comprehension level, say in English or Welsh (depending on your level) , ‘oh, sorry, that’ ‘s all the Welsh I know at the moment, I’m learning. Maybe next time I’ll know more’, (or something along those light-hearted lines).

1. Do the same by asking for directions to somewhere you already know how to reach.

3)Think of similar scenarios where you can ask questions without really needing an answer.

In Italy this year, I struggled to remember the Italian word for ‘bin’. So each shop or café I went into, I would force myself to ask someone who worked there ‘do you have a bin?’ while waving some eitem of rubbish in my hand I’m front of them, like a tissue, sweet wrapper, empty packet etc

After a bit, I started remembering the word for ‘bin’ without having to check my pocket dictionary all the time, and I’d practised my ‘speaking to real Italians’ skill too.

This is a good confidence builder and the more you do it, the easier it will become to speak to the Welsh people you know, like teachers, family members etc.

Has anyone tried anything like this before?
It’s always my go-to method when I need to give myself a gentle push.

7 Likes

Very good points, I think it’s a great help when you’re in the country where the language is spoken. I like the secret task strategy and will certainly use it myself when I visit Wales. Though we don’t really know whether Dan lives in Wales and/or has constant contact with native speakers, apart from his partner (if we do know it and I’ve missed something, I apologize).
But breaking down one big skill into many small sub-skills is really very useful, because you don’t have to deal with something as enormous as “speaking Welsh” but you can tackle smaller things one by one. If your partner is very willing to help, you could do something like this to train your listening skills: you both listen to a piece of news of Radio Cymru and then she retells it to you using very simple words, while you listen and try to understand the gist. When you’re more comfortable with her speaking Welsh to you, you can start asking some questions related to the topic and express your opinion.
It’ll help if you learn a lot of the “functional language” (how to ask someone to repeat, how to ask to speak slower, how to show that you understand - you’ll find it in the bonus part of Lesson 6 Course 1, - then, learn how to say that something is lovely/awful/interesting, how to express admiration or sympathy, how to agree and disagree etc. You get my idea). Then put them into use when talking to your partner or maybe people here who are willing to help via Skype. You can make up situations together when your partner gives you some stimulus “It’s my birthday today” and you have to react quickly - “Oh, congratulations!”
It’s very useful to watch TV in Welsh (I like “Bore da” on S4C, because it’s subtitled), especially talk-shows. You can first watch it with no subtitles, then turn the subs on and watch again to check the understanding, and repeat what the speakers say. Then, if you feel brave enough, you can make up a small monologue on the same topic. Again, you can watch together and give your opinion to your partner - first it will be something short like “That’s great, I think it’s a good idea” and then maybe you’ll start saying longer sentences.
One thing I really want to stress is that it’s difficult for anyone (even for a very outgoing chatty person like me, for instance) to speak without a topic or without necessity. We all need motivation to speak (we all become very eloquent when we really want to find something out, for example, the train is leaving in 5 minutes and we still don’t know the number of the platform) and we need some scaffolding to build our speech on. So it might be easier at first to react to your partner’s questions (because some vocabulary will be provided in the question itself) rather than try to say something completely unaided.

3 Likes

I do indeed live in South Wales. Although Swansea doesn’t have a huge amount of Welsh speakers. (not that I’m aware of anyway) The only people I do know that speak welsh are my partner and most of her friends. I’ve not spoke to her friends much in English and not at all in Welsh.

The idea of watching something and then having a discussion about it is a very good idea. But again my vocab doesn’t stretch to taking ‘about’ something yet, more saying what i/you, am/will be/ have done sort of conversations.

2 Likes

If you start watching things, your vocabulary will certainly grow:) Anyway, it’s not very important at the beginning that you actually say something valuable about coal mining or the new brand of food or whatever, it’s just an aid for you, because it’ll give you a reason to speak (to express you opinion) and some words that you might use. For example, you might watch or read a piece of news about the new kind of bread and say: Oh, that’s lovely, I’d like to try it, what do you think? (I’m pretty sure you know all these words in Welsh). Don’t worry, you’ll eventually get to longer sentences and monologues, this is just to break the ice.

2 Likes

Find yourself super-small tasks to start with. The main thing is to get anything said at all, to start normalising it. Just say “Bore da!” to her one day, or “Ti’n moyn paned?” (Want a cuppa?) or “Dw i’n dy garu di!” (I love you!) She’ll probably be chuffed - you will already have made a massive leap, and eventually one thing will lead to another.

There’s definitely a friendly a SSIW group in Swansea. That would be a good place to practise!

I can totally identify with the problem! Despite doing A level French (quite well), I completely failed to speak any French to French-speaking friends at college. This bothered me so much that I became a bit obsessed with the idea of learning a language properly. I learnt German by myself and managed to organise to go there for a post-grad course, where I finally overcame the fear of jumping in (as it was the only thing to do!) I well remember the terror of the early attempts to get something out of my mouth. Later when I started to learn Welsh, I kind of knew what I had to do, but it was still hard at the beginning.

2 Likes

I must be looking in the wrong place to find the group in Swansea. @netmouse do you happen to know when/where it is please?

Abertawe - Weds nights, 8:00 to 9:30, The Brunswick Arms, Duke St, SA1 4HS (Contact @owainlurch )

Good luck! (I’ve heard that cwrw helps too…!)

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr. :slight_smile: I will certainly give it a go

@Dan_Crosby Do you get the weekly emails from SSiW (Dee)? If not, you can sign up here:

https://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/info/faq#HowcanIgetaccesstotheSSIWweeklyemail

These include listings of both weekly and monthly meetups in various areas (all the ones that SSiW / Dee are aware of).

Hwyl,
Mike

2 Likes

Yes I do get the weekly emails. I only signed up to them recently and have only received 1 so far.

Bore Da Pawb. Just quick update. I manage to have a little conversation in Welsh with my partner last night. It was only 4-5 sentences and I did get one of them wrong. So happy I managed to do it. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :thumbsup:

I knew you’ll manage to do so and I’m extreamly happy it was in so short time after (you said that) “unsuccessful” non English evening.

DA IAWN TI! DAL ATI NAWR!

(Oh, gee … people make me so happy these days!)

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau! That’s fantastic, and a huge achievement. :smile:

2 Likes

I need to thank everyone again for the support and encouragement they gave me. Since taking the jump and using a tiny amount of Welsh with my partner it has opened the flood gates and I’m using welsh for what I know before English. I’m even answering English questions in Welsh.

Diolch yn fawr pawb you’re all amazing. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Da iawn!!
I have a tiny example for you…
Me, in Paris for the first time, having left the other girls to sleep off the boat trip, setting off to see the Louvre. Lost. See gendarme! Hail him! Then, in my head, "Oh goodness, Gendarmes aren’t like cops at home, I probably shouldn’t have… help…oh dear,… then, in panic, aloud, “Ou est la Mona Lisa?”
(Sorry no accents, can’t do them on my laptop)
The Gendarme was a sweetie and gave me lovely clear directions!
So, I totally understand the ‘stage fright’, I knew my lines on stage!! And am living proof that saying anything is better than nothing at all!

1 Like

3 Likes

Great News Dan!

3 Likes