Finished level 3

Thabk you Aran. I couldnt wait to finish so did the last one at 1.5x the speed. Works great for speeding up your responses and trying to jist say what feels right rather than translating.
I’ve done a few wsp chats but for some reason I find it hard to get the welsh out, so I’m just gonna be stubborn and keep trying. But by bit I’m gonna get there!

2 Likes

@Bleddyn Congratulations! Da iawn ti! That’s a huge accomplishment of which you should be very proud! Definitely keep going with the speaking practice… I speak from experience when I say that it does get easier with time.

3 Likes

That is exactly the right solution… :slight_smile: What’s the longest chat you’ve had so far?

Online it’s been relatively short. The longest has been one-to-one and was at Sain Ffagans with one of the volunteers there. That was about 20-30 minutes and I learned a lot about different roof materials and windows! And also about that length when I was talking to someone while on holiday in Aberystwyth (after bumping into Nicky in the street and breaking the ice!). I need to meet my brother’s mother in law who lives just outside of Caerfyrddin and is a fluent speaker - apparently at his wedding I have to speak with her and her cousins haha!

4 Likes

Right - there’s the key - I’d recommend that you try and set up a ‘shatter the ice’ session with someone - you’ll probably need to pay with coffee and cake - where you keep going for 2 hours - there’s something really interesting about running on for a couple of hours - you go through the exhaustion barrier and it seems to kick in some level of automation.

And then aim for a weekly chat of one hour, one-to-one, and you’ll be right as rain in no time… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @rich and @AnnaC for you kind words and encouragement :smiley:

@aran I will try this. A friend from uni is a first language speaker, and as far as I’m aware doesn’t know I’ve been learning, so it’s time to meet up for a catchup pint(s) and give him a suprise haha

2 Likes

Do make sure you have a defibrillator handy - it’s going to be a heck of a surprise for him! :slight_smile:

I, too, have just finished Level 3. This last nine months have gone so quickly and it’s one of the best things I have done. I have enjoyed every minute, including the times I’ve been frustrated or been struggling. I would never have thought that I could have learnt a new language so quicky, especially at 74. I’m now enjoying tryng to follow S4C and Radio Cymru, although obviously only understanding bits, and I love it when I can can speak to my grandchildren in Welsh. They’ve stopped laughing at my accent and pronounciation and just answer me now. :grinning:

I was worried I would have withdrawal symptoms when I finished, but I have started to dip into the old courses and listening practices, which is interesting as the format and content is different to the lessons I’ve already done. I was going to give the advanced listening practice a try, but I can’t seem to access it to see what’s involved. I’ve found an email with something about subscriptions for it, which I received just after I signed up, and didn’t think anything with the word ‘advanced’ in it would ever apply to me, so I’m assuming I would have to subscribe with the new rate before accessing it?

Anyway, Thanks to everyone on here for everything, SSIW is the best.

6 Likes

Da iawn all who finished level 3 already. To be honest, after 6 years of learning with SSiW I still didn’t finish it but of course I’ve finished the whole old course and vocab lessons and only now I’m slowly pacing through the Level 3 and re-doing level 2. I could get a prize of how long I’m doing this all … way too long to be honest … So once again WELL DONE ALL!

Llongyfarchiadau mawr i chi bawb.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I don’t think you can access the advanced content via the App…think it has to be done through the website…

1 Like

Congratulations! :clap:
Actually as a subscriber you have access to the Advanced content.
On a computer and a browser (like Chrome, Firefox, Explorer) you should be able to see it on the top right clicking on “Learn” and choosing "advanced content).

If you’re using a smart phone or pad, as @mikewilliams-1 said you might not see it yet, but it does work in the updated version of both iPhone/iPad and Android (I was testing them a few days ago and I could see it, but I’m not sure if they’re both already available to download!).

1 Like

I’ve seen this just today and as much as I could see they’re downloadable (didn’t download them though) but I believe the latest one is not there yet. I’ve seen the advanced content only to nr. 27 but there is nr. 29 already out I believe.

1 Like

Yes I downloaded 29 on the computer, but I can’t see it on the app(s). However I can see the 28 too!
(I’ve never really used the apps for the Advanced content except for a few tests so I don’t really know much about it)

I did, but it’s some time ago earlier and only today I checked what is to be seen in the app apart from regular lessons …

Thanks all. I’ve found it, and am looking forward to giving all the interviews a go, however tough I find it.

3 Likes

You’ve done amazingly well so far - just hammer away at the advanced stuff methodically, without getting frustrated, and it will take you even further - huge, huge congratulations!

@beca-brown - ideal person for an interview here, I’d say? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Bizzielizzie
(John from Lonlas speaking)
Yes, it’s fantastic how well you have done in such a short time. Don’t forget, that it would be great if you wanted to join us for a chat either at Ty Tawe or Aberafan any time. There are usually only a few of us at either of those, so It’s nice and friendly and not at all scarey. I found them a great way to build my confidence in a safe environment.

1 Like

Thank you John, it would be good to come and join you. Although I think I may have given the impression that my Welsh is better than it is. I mostly get half of it wrong and forget the other half, I just don’t let it stop me trying.:wink: (I completely avoided joining in any Youtube or Slack involvement, although I know I should have :flushed:) so it would be nice to meet up for a chat with others. Can you let me know when you get together please.

3 Likes

Hi Lizzie.
Don’t worry about your ability or more likely, confidence level as these meetings are meant for new speakers and therefore tend to be bilingual.

Our SSiW Aberafan meetings are held in the Foyer at the Aberafan Hotel, usually a couple of Wednesday evenings per month at 18:30. The next one is on Wed 22.05.2019. I’m tagging in @carin-harris (Caz), who co-ordinates the evenings.

The Siop Tŷ Tawe centre in Christina Street Swansea hold a coffee morning every Saturday morning between 10:00 and 12:00, and always make us very welcome. Also, on the 25th of this month they are holding a special welcoming event for SSiW members and @nia.llywelyn of SSiW will be there. There is mention of it as well as other special meetings on the forum in the Meetups/events section, SSIW days out, here:

I hope that this helps. It will be great to meet up.

2 Likes

Thanks @JohnYoung
Would be great to see you @bizzielizzie.
Like John said it’s a VERY informal get together, where we try to speak as much Cymraeg as possible.
Most of us a very new learners and eager to improve.
Next meeting 22nd Mai 6.30pm. We 're each bringing along a picture of an item eg an apple (you can use your phone or tablet, I only just thought of that too) with some clues in Cymraeg so the others can try and guess the object, if that makes sense. If you fancy taking part in that great stuff. Hope to see you there Caz :slight_smile:

2 Likes