Format of skype practice

An alternative which I know you also know how to say would be:

Do you understand what I’m trying to say,

Justin

1 Like

Yes, but Am I making any sense is much more my style. I want to have a personal style in Welsh too:)

2 Likes

There is no doubt that you will achieve it, if not already :wink:

Justin

1 Like

Yes, this!! We all know what an important skill it is to simplify what you want to say down to your current level of language - but once you can manage baseline level it soon gets boring!

Glad you all had a good time, hope to look in again one of these weeks…

1 Like

Yes, yes, exactly! Though it’s never quite the same style as was in our first language - I seem to have slightly different ways of talking in English/Russian/Italian…
I hope you find time to join some other week, I’d really love to meet you.

Ti’n rhy garedig.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you @tatjana for the “laurels” :smile:

To be honest, I have several “irons in the fire” at the moment so I don’t know how much time I can dedicate to Welsh at the moment (also trying to improve my Slovak and work on Latin a bit on the side).

But thank you all for including me in the conversation this time and being patient with my attempts at saying something! 'twas also nice to connect some faces to the names.

3 Likes

Oh wow, a fellow Latin learner:) Do you actually speak it or just read/translate?
I was quite good at it at school/university, but we never attempted to speak it. Oh no, I’m lying, we did once at school - we staged a play in Latin. A comedy. I was the ugly maid - the funniest role:)

3 Likes

Well, I only just started :slight_smile: I had always wanted to learn Latin, but unfortunately they didn’t offer it at my school.

And now a few weeks ago, my daughter had to choose which language to take next year - either French or Latin. Whichever she ends up choosing she would have to learn for the next five years. (Typically, the split is about 2/3 of the students choosing French and 1/3 Latin at that school, I’ve heard.)

I would have advised French but she picked Latin.

So I thought I could learn some Latin as well “to help her with her homework” cough. So I asked the school which textbook they would be using and bought a used copy of that and thought I’d work my way through the exercises.

I’ve added the vocabulary of the first three units to my flashcard program (just got the last new words today) but haven’t actually started doing the exercises - I will try to make time in the evenings this week.

The course mostly focusses on translation / reading comprehension, but I would ideally like to be able to write and speak Latin as well. So I try to learn the vowel quantities, for example, and my flashcards have things such as dēlectāre on them and not merely delectare.

I will have to see how far I get with self-motivation and no teacher to correct my homework or provide a structured schedule! Hopefully, at least a bit ahead of my daughter so that I can actually help her with her homework, which was the excuse for buying the textbooks :wink:

But right now, the Latin I’ve been “officially” exposed to is along the lines of Cūr avus equum timet? Puella fīliōs dominī amat.

Can you still speak or read Latin, @seren?

1 Like

I can understand your daughter:)

I can still read and translate it. I got to a rather advanced stage at university where we translated Claudius Claudianus and medieval Latin as well - it’s delightful. We translated some pages from Dialogus miraculorum by Caesarius of Heisterbach - and what a great sense of humour he has.
Actually, you’ve just reminded me of just how much I miss Latin. I loved it. If you need any help with your Latin don’t hesitate to ask - you’ll be doing me a favor, really:)

2 Likes

I’m jealous that you got to learn so much about Latin!

And thank you for your offer of help with Latin - I appreciate it!

If you’re interested in chatting with other people who appreciate Latin, I can point you to a Latin discussion forum I found which seems to be inhabited by a bunch of nice people who do all sorts of things from chatting in Latin, sharing jokes, helping other people out with translations (often for tattoos…) and so on.

1 Like

Yes, thank you, that would be lovely:)

You have a PM :slight_smile:

Drew gen i, dibyn araf wythnos hon.

Byr – short.
Gwyddeleg – Irish.
Cul – narrow.
Treiglo – Mutation.
Anghywir – False/incorect.
cywir , yn gywir – right, correct.
Ngeni – was born.
Cyfarchion – Greetings.
Euog – guilty.
testun/pwnc – Topic/subject.
Gyrru - drive.
Esgus - pretend.
gyferbyn â – opposite.
môr forwyn – Mermaid.
fferm factor – Farm factor.
Ymddeol – retire.
Dihangfa – escape.
Yn y gwyllt - In the wild.
Cefndir – background.
Cefn - Back.
Pellter – distant.
Dianc – escape.
Llwyddo – succeed.
Lladd – kill.
Llwyddiant – success.
Llwyddiannus - successful.
some of the words from skype chat.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Rambling John,

I’m not familiar with dibyn and I’m curious. Is dibyn araf an expression?

Well, just a quick note for those who maybe didn’t see. @englishchildminder is searching for Skype parthner to speak and ymarfer so if it’s anyone up for this, peer into the Re-Introduction and Skype topic to read more. :slight_smile:

Diolch i ddarllen.

2 Likes

I’m not sure who suggested this but i think it was Kim, so hope someone out there has a clear answer for you. (thanks for the interest).

we have a real problem here for which i have no clear answer.
The skype group is at skype capacity (and obviously isn’t open often enough).
There are a lot of people who want to practice.

Group calls are a lot of fun and get multiple inputs, all of which is very good.
But i also understand people who want one to one calls, some of which i will be doing myself.
If anyone wants to start another group or ask for one to one contact i’m more than happy if they post there requests or details of a group here, (but remind them they should only pass there skype names via PM private messages).

Any other ideas/suggestions welcome (this all suggests welsh is a growing language).

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

John,

Sorry I have just twigged. I think you meant dipyn - such a small tiny difference, but when I looked up dibyn it means something completely different apparently (precipice, on the brink, dangling) and I was really curious that it might have been a nice expression that I should know about - I cojoured up ideas about araf dibyn like - slowly dangling on the edge - hanging on in there etc.

1 Like

Diolch eto tatjana - I’m at the beginning of conversations at the moment and struggle finding single words (that I know I know!) to complete a basic sentence - I’m not yet at the stage of discussing a theme I don’t think. If anyone is willing to add me and patiently chat (slow enough for me to understand) and also correct me and have even more patience with my slow replies I’d be eternally grateful - even if it was just 10 minutes or so - every little helps :smiley:
the main think I lack is confidence - but am more than willing to ‘give it a go’ as I really really want to be able to speak Welsh a lot better than my current standard.

Diolch for reading :smile:

2 Likes

That’s the only criteria necessary.
The rest is mistakes, confusion, fun, and those light bulb moments when something clicks.
If you can say ‘wnes i weld tri mochyn bach ar y traeth ddoe.’ you are ready to start many conversations.

A few people say they want to just listen (which is fine) but they often end up saying a lot more than they knew they knew.

I suspect one of the useful things is hearing others trying to finish a sentence and coming up with a different solution than i had thought of, we can all learn from each other.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

It was nice to meet everyone briefly last night. When Gareth went, the chat ended. It seemed a bit abrupt, and I thought only Gareth was leaving. Did I misunderstand and everyone was going or was it a blip at my end?