Format of skype practice

I can relate)

I still feel terribly shy and depressed about my pronunciation, and at almost every skype session I feel I need to just listen and I’m always afraid people are annoyed at me and won’t tell that to me just out of politeness. When I speak slowly, my sounds get better, but when I get excited about something I want to say, I forget everything I was taught. I think a lot of other people feel shy too, for different reasons.

By the way, I remember hearing you talk and you are not a nuisance at all. You’re careful about forming the sentences, with grammar and all. And you’re such a nice person to talk to. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

People are shy, unsure, quiet, nervous in many and varied combinations.
Not quite sure where i fit on the scale but i won’t worry to much about it.
and of course these situations are easier to asses sat round a table but we have skype.

Some people may be happy listening and typing good grammar phrases/words in the side bar,
i find this really helpful as with last time we had a short bit with the word (tawel, yn dawel), so
anyone taking part can benefit.

Seren: get excited more often, it’s shows you are having fun and of course we will all make mistakes.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

And I’m so happy to see you/listen to you and … please, if you’d not speak well I’d say that but you do speak well and you know many more “complex” words/structures/expressions then I do so … you needn’t to be shy ur afraid.

And you @franhunni - I remember you participating in previous group chats and I know you speak just well too. It is a bit slow but not too slow for sure. Take things like this: “If I’m speaking slower, everyone can clearly understand me.” and you’d surely feel better. :slight_smile:

I’m just sorry you couldn’t be on the bootcamp with us. If nothing else, it gives you one thing: how to go around saying what you wanted to say if you don’t just remember the right expression and on the other hand how to stop to feel annoyed with yourself because of that. People will always understand you if they want to, not just learniers but native speakers too. If people have a wish to converse they’d give you a try and listen patiently if not … they’re not eager to converse at all so you can turn around and go.

You shy @ramblingjohn? Come on! No way! :slight_smile:

Skype is our table. It’s hard ot unleash one’s imagination but let’s try to look on that from this perspective.

Well, actually Seren, you don’t even notice how much are you telling/speaking when you’re excited. Take that Rownd a Rownd but from last session for example! It was REAL JOY to listen to you and @philipnewton. I enjoyed to the bits! You’ve told such amount of things that I could picture happenings in my mind despite I never watched the series at all. YAY! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Dear Tatjana, always ready to cheer me and everyone up when we are sad:) Thank you so much. :)[quote=“tatjana, post:346, topic:3828”]
If people have a wish to converse they’d give you a try and listen patiently if not … they’re not eager to converse at all so you can turn around and go.
[/quote]

This is something I haven’t considered before, but it sounds very true.

3 Likes

You are all so encouraging and very good at speaking Welsh. In fact, I’m amazed at how Welsh you both sound. I know I speak with a very bad, English accent, especially when I’m nervous. I’m hoping this year to try and be more confident, but i’m not sure how you access confidence. Shame I can’t buy some!

1 Like

When I worked at the theatre and was afraid to even come near the stage, my director would make me do it. He would say that no confidence is ever obtained without practicing, except the false confidence that one has when he just gains knowledge without ever coming out of his comfort zone and failing. But real confidence is born through making mistakes, and realizing it’s not the end of the world, and trying again and again and again:) The more you do something, the more confident you become.
And - diolch yn fawr for your kind words.:slight_smile: By the way, I don’t think you have a strong English accent. And anyway, it will disappear if you just get enough hours of listening and talking:)

1 Like

Listen and speak as much as possible as often as possible, pushing through your lack of confidence and refusing to be sabotaged by your lack of confidence, and in due course the confidence will come… :slight_smile:

It takes courage, but it works.

2 Likes

I do try. :blush:

2 Likes

Well done :slight_smile:

You will reap what you deserve… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Prehistoric Wales.
The earliest known human remain discovered in modern-day Wales is a Neanderthal jawbone, found at the Bontnewydd Palaeolithic site in the valley of the River Elwy in North Wales, whose owner lived about 230,000 years ago in the Lower Palaeolithic period. The Red Lady of Paviland, a human skeleton dyed in red ochre, was discovered in 1823 in one of the Paviland limestone caves of the Gower Peninsula in Swansea, South Wales. Despite the name, the skeleton is that of a young man who lived about 33,000 years ago at the end of the Upper Paleolithic Period (old stone age). He is considered to be the oldest known ceremonial burial in Western Europe. The skeleton was found along with jewellery made from ivory and seashells and a mammoth’s skull.

Cymru gynhanesyddol. (google translation).
Mae’r dynol cynharaf yn parhau i ddarganfod yn y Gymru gyfoes yn jawbone Neanderthalaidd, a ddarganfuwyd ar safle Bontnewydd Paleolithig yn nyffryn yr Afon Elwy yn y Gogledd, y mae ei berchennog yn byw tua 230,000 o flynyddoedd yn ôl yn ystod y cyfnod Paleolithig Isaf. Roedd y Foneddiges Goch Pafiland, sgerbwd dynol lliwio mewn ocr coch, a ddarganfuwyd yn 1823 yn un o’r Paviland ogofâu calchfaen o Benrhyn Gŵyr yn Abertawe, De Cymru. Er gwaethaf yr enw, y sgerbwd yw bod o ddyn ifanc a oedd yn byw tua 33,000 o flynyddoedd yn ôl ar ddiwedd y Cyfnod Paleolithic Uchaf (hen oes y cerrig). Mae’n cael ei ystyried i fod y gladdedigaeth seremonïol hysbys hynaf yng Ngorllewin Ewrop. Canfuwyd bod y sgerbwd, ynghyd â gemwaith wedi’i wneud o ifori a cregyn a benglog mamoth yn.

Rhyngrewlifol - Interglacial.
(gair ddefnyddiol pan dan ni eisiau siarad am ‘oesoedd iâ’ – a useful word when we want to talk about ‘ice ages’).
Cynhanesyddol – Prehistoric.
yn byw tua 230,000 o flynyddoedd yn ôl - lived approximately 230, 000 years ago.
(‘tua’ seems to be used for towards or approximately, tua allan – go outside, symud tuag at yr orsaf – move towards the station).

Not sure how accurate all this is so feel free to edit or add things that you would like use.
I will aim to do more as time allows.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

If it would be possible I’d give it for free and you wouldn’t need to buy it. :slight_smile: All the rest was already said so you know what to do.

Thank you @franhunni but … hmm … and I sound prety much Slovene even when speaking Cymraeg.

1 Like

Mae’r benglog o mamoth - The skull of a mamoth.
Dw i’n credu, y mamothiaid olaf farw ar ynys Wrangel tua dri mil o flynyddoedd yn ôl - I believe, the last mamoths died on Wrangel island about three thousand years ago.

So did the mammoths disappear eastwards because of humans or the recent ice age ?
Felly gwnaeth y mamothiaid diflannu tua’r dwyrain, oherwydd pobl neu yr oes iâ diweddaf ?

Is next Thursday (Jan 19th) 1900 (7pm) UK time good for people.

Cheers J.P.

Firstly, there are plenty of people i just admire the rate at which they are progressing. so without offending anyone.
Franhunni: i’m not sure what you see is confidence, more an acceptance that we can only do what we can do and mistakes, failures and many other negatives can be a real pain at times.
Hand up all those who would like the ability to learn ten times faster (well me anyway).
But here we are enjoying progress at what ever rate, there is no secret formula But SSIW is a formula that seems to work so enjoy.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, J.P.
I do have to keep reminding myself that not so long ago I couldn’t speak an Welsh, so to be struggling with the frustration of not having mastered it all is, of course, progress!

1 Like

I think the frustrations with SSIW are because of how good it is…progress is so rapid in comparison to other methods (in my opinion) that we feel frustrated when the pace of learning slows.

Wnei di edrych yn ôl a weld bo’ ti wedi dod ffordd hir ers wnes ti ddechrau. Dwi’n deallt pam ti’n teimlo’n rhwystredig. Ond paid â phoeni. Mae dy bost di wedi taro deuddeg. Felly dal ati. :slight_smile:

You will look back and see that you have come a long was since you started. I understand why you feel frustrated. But don’t worry. Your post hit the mark. So keep at it.

2 Likes

The BIG question at the moment is : Will we be discussing and using the new level 3 .1 on Thursday evening ? (oo, i might make some progress).

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Tell me all about it! ? :slight_smile:

EDIT to add that you really made me go and see if it’s anything there yet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well i hope people enjoyed this evening as much as i did.

It’s a mystery where the conversation will go, tonight seemed to indicate there is a growing desire to make music/singing videos this year possibly with animation. da iawn pawb.

February the 2nd is two weeks away, at the same time unless you would like to change time/date.
Post all ideas here.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Cerddoriaeth - music.
Cerddor - musician.
Cerddorol - musical.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Blasu.

Pegi 2010.
Ar fy mhen-blwydd yn wyth deg, prynodd Jonathan lyfr i mi. Llyfr clawr caled, a phatrwm marmor brown a melyn ar y clawr, fel hufen mewn siocled. Bodiais drwy’r tudalennau noethion, trwchus a thynnu fy mys ar hyd graen garw’r papur.

Google translation.
Pegi 2010.
On my birthday is eighty, Jonathan bought a book for me. Hardback book, and brown and yellow marble pattern on the cover, like cream in chocolate. Bodiais through the pages naked, thick and pull my finger along the rough grain paper.

Trafod - discuss.

I think the first line in English would be ‘On my eightieth birthday’ .

Cheers J.P.

1 Like