Format of skype practice

First, the big news is i’m informed the mystery guest on Thursday 2nd of February is not a mystery to all !!!

@henddraig in an attempt to be helpful i notice you tried to call (skype) me twice today when i was out.
So here is an image of some of my skype contacts You will have something similar.

Notice the circle (small) within the contacts image, when you log into your skype and see your list of contacts.
If a contacts little circle is green with a white tick, they are logged into skype and can receive calls.

If the little circle is orange, their connection is in standby mode, they may have popped to make tea or gone shopping so you are unlikely to get an answer.

If the little circle is white, they are not logged into skype so are not available for a call, (though you can send a message for later attention).

Now, i have added you to the group call next Thursday. The first thing to remember is Don’t panic.

When the call happens, just accept (click the button) and you should hopefully see a random number of little screens appearing as others are joining in (this varies as people come and go), who ever is talking usually gets the center screen so positions keep changing like a moving mosaic.

If you don’t get straight in because clicked the wrong button or were delayed having trodden on a hibernating hedgehog that was under the pile of washing you have been meaning to put away since October,
Don’t panic.

The invite button should still be somewhere on your skype, but if it gets lost then click on my icon and send a message saying help, and i can manually add you to the call. (to a new person it can seem a bit surreal at times when a participant goes quiet but you can hear a keyboard clicking, then suddenly a new person or image appears on the screen and you realise no one is being off hand, they are just busy).

Skype is like a box of matches, rather straight forward, but try to write a user manual for either and you find that is a task far greater than imagined. (so if you get in Thursday and mostly listen, or only stay a short while, or end up singing with Tatjana, great, the next time will be that much easier).

Sadly i have to say i can only invite nine people, (i gess many more would like to join in), never the less we may still get a mystery guest).

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

@ramblingjohn did you investigate this? https://www.skype.com/en/features/group-calls/. It says you can make a group call up to 25 people and if they have Skype it’s for free. I’m getting into further investigation. I want to know if it’s really for free.

EDIT to add this from the Skype help site:

How many people can be on a call?
Up to 25 people (24 plus yourself) can be on the same audio call. The maximum number of video streams will vary depending on the platform and device you are using.

2 Likes

Dear John, One thing I can assure you. I will NOT end up singing, with or without Tatjana!
I will try not to be late, but I normally go upstairs at 7.00’to pull my bedroom curtains and fetch things for later (our bath is downstairs, just a shower upstairs). I’ll do things n a different order!
So far I’ve only been in contact with Pete with no visual. Will we automatically see each other if I manage to hit the ‘accept’ button? Else do I need to press the vision button once I’ve accepted?
Oh, if you find you are looking at a little poodle dog tell me to reorientate my iPad!

1 Like

well done tatjana fach, something else to look into (though i thought those were pay for conference calls, the situation may have changed).

That is what should happen, but i know some people have to play with settings in the first call.
PM me a time for tomorrow and i will aim to call you one to one and see how that goes for a start.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

I can never really make 7pm on a Sunday so feel free to remove me if you need to. Have fun!

1 Like

For those interested, the henddraig got in and out of a skype call and experienced multiple screens/conversations (diolch Milla).

Word of the day 'Trawiadol - impressive (i will try to remember it).

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

I did not come up with any impressive words! I only managed a few unimpressive ones! I suspect my longest sentence was addressed to my dog and I didn’t even manage ‘paid!’, when she tried to lick the screen and nearly cut me off before I said ,“Hwyl fawr!”

So glad to hear you have skype now, @henddraig! Would love to chat one day - in a group or just us two (I still remember the promise to talk about Star Trek in Welsh!).
I’m stellastatsevich on skype.

3 Likes

Dear Seren, I have a nasty feeling I would make,a lot of errors entering your Skype name! Mine is
Jac(henddraig)
If you can find me and send an invite, I will be able to accept!
Prertty please!
But - WARNING my ability to discuss Trek, or virtually anything else in Welsh is very, very limited!

2 Likes

Done:)

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn!

1 Like

Diolch i ti! Wi’n edrych ymlaen at y sgwrs!

1 Like

To @ramblingjohn, who I know Skypes on a laptop, @Novem, who may, and anyone else who does, I tried Googling Skype and got ‘Log in’ and also ‘Download for Windows’. Am I right that I would need to download for windows in order to login?? I think I’d find it easier to use Skype on my laptop. If it has a camera, I’d guess it’s around head level! Also typing is easier with a keyboard!

Yes download for windows. Incidentally if you are on skype on tablet you can stil type on your windows laptop!

1 Like

Diolch, when I’ve finished here, I’ll have a go at the download!

HELP! I thought all was well, but I may have downloaded wrong Skype. It says I haven’t a microsoft account of that name, but my ipad said I did! The Skype on here, I thought was for laptop, but it says desktop. Shall I delete it and start over or what???
@tatjana Can you help?
Now I shall go for cinio and mutter!

Laptop/desktop versions are the same…when logging in there are i think different options for skype accounts and microsoft accounts. However i don’t know the windows version as it years since i used it.

1 Like

You cen login with your Skype name or with Microsoft acount but beware if you didn’t merge Skype acount with Microsoft one yet, you could get separate contacts for each acount. I’ve merged mine years ago so don’t have such problems + it usually offers you the option to merge the two acounts into one importing your Skype acount contacts into newly merged Microsoft/Skype one.

However if you go with your mobile (I think laptop isn’t quite acounted to that as mostly it behaves like PC with such applications), then your Skype on mobile can play tricks with you as it might not be synchronized with what the state of desktop version is. Why it’s not synchronized there are various reasons from that of lacking of connection at the time you go on Skype or any other thing.

So if you’re sure you have Microsoft acount then you should be able to login with it no matter what device you use. It might be more problem if you have more then one Microsoft acounts (living proof I am with that) and you are logged into “wrong one”. Then it might say you don’t have Microsoft acount or it asks you if you want to stay logged in with this acount. Clicking no it gives you an option to login with another acount.

I’m not sure, if all things seam allright at your end, how I could help further here. My advise is, when you login to your skype not to totally log off just “quit skype” when you finish talking. This way you’ll be logged in all the time but unavailable when you don’t want to. When you start Skype next time it should log you in automatically.

1 Like

I have a nasty feeling it said that it is not possible to merge accounts at this time. It says, when I try to login from the laptop 'there is no account in that name" but I know there is! I haven’t set up anything for the laptop, just failed to,logon with my mailing address which I use on the iPad, but was originally put into the laptop!
It doesn’t say wrong password or anything, just no such account!

Hmm … Now I’m out of the ideas at the moment. What if you log-off on iPad and try to login on laptop (if you don’t fear you’d not be able to login afterwards on iPad again of course). Sometimes software just don’t allow you to be logged in on two devices at the same time even if it allows it to be so, for who knows what reason really.

1 Like