Format of skype practice

'sounds like soup??? No, I can’t guess how she came up with that. I wasn’t sure the one with no picture was there! (Sorry @Jane!), so it must have been @onomatopoeicowl who I mistook for Claudia!
Message to @ramblingjohn, next time people join in midst of session, please would you ask for a brief intro time, when each already there gives name and location and the newcomer does likewise!

@onomatopoeicowl joined at the very beginning and her real name is Beth. Now you surely will remember. We had intros actually twice in the session though.

Yes, people were told who I was and I asked about Peter, but I thought @onomatopoeicowl was claudia, so I didn’t ask!! Where does Beth live?

Berlin, Germany, she said.

As @tatjana asked, it’s always good to describe the appearance of the person you mean, I think – the order of pictures on the screen might vary from person to person (Beth was in the middle of the bottom row for me) – and Margaret seemed to expect us to know whom she was talking to by which of the little pictures on her screen she was looking at. So it was a bit confusing a couple of times when she asked things such as “And what’s your name?” when we didn’t know whom she meant. Technology is tricky…

post it notes with names on the forehead is the only way…

5 Likes

I am hopeless. I have trouble working out who is speaking and didn’t take that in. I know Claudia is in Switzerland and thought that was mentioned. I recognised you, John and Tatjana!
To @Jane, I do hope I will hear you next time and know it is you speaking. Where are you? To @onomatopoeicowl, so sorry for total confusion. If I were more technically competent with Skype, I would not have spent the first several minutes trying to get my end set up properly and I might have taken in efforts at introductions which I seem to have missed. Beth, hope we meet tro nesa!!
As for @seren please come back wythnos nesa!!! I will keep my laptop plugged in and try to stop Toffi rolling on the keyboard!

Hi, That was me being quiet, I’m still a beginner so when there were a lot of people it was a bit scarier to talk because I was still trying to follow what was going on! :slight_smile: Onomatopoeicowl because I love the word gwdihŵ because it really does sound like an owl noise! It got even more confusing with my name being Beth… I should just go by my full name (Bethany) in Welsh. It would be less confusing, but it sounds like I’m being told off by my Mum when I was a kid! :wink:

4 Likes

Jane and Peter are both in Sheffield.

In the Welsh-language soap opera I’m watching, there was a minor character called “Beth” – so I think “Beth” is just fine as a name even in a Welsh-language context.

Probably short for Bethan :slight_smile:

1 Like

I live in Sheffield.

We have spoken before - I was part of the Skype call before Christmas where you were having iPad issues, and only joined us briefly.

I’ll try to be more vocal next time, but I’m a relative beginner (finished Level 2, still working through Course 2). That said, I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to join next week’s Skype call as I’m in the process of moving house at the moment. Plusnet will be transferring my phone line from my old flat to my new flat sometime next Thursday, but re-connection may not happen until midnight…

1 Like

I totally understood the name without any confusions but was a bit amused by (for me) great coincidence of similarity of your name and the Welsh word “beth”. Love that part.

To determine who’s speaking on Skype you have to watch the blue line below the person’s window. If the blue line appears it means that one person is speaking. if there are more persons speaking at the same time or there’s any more strong sound comming from ones direction, all those windows providing the additional sound will have that blue line below aswell.

To determine the names - usually the people on Skype (at least those I have in my contact list) have their real names and sometimes even surnames and if you hoover over the one’s window with your mouse, you’ll see the name appearing for a short time. This way I hdelp myself with determining the names of the participants in the middle of conversations until I remember the names. When session is finished you always can open the group window (by doubleclicking on the group) and take a look at the participants. They’re all named below the group name in the window and if they don’t appear you can simply click little arrow which shows something is hidden beneath it and streach the content hidden withinn this arrow.

In hope @ramblingjohn and @brigitte won’t mind having their faces on here in order to demonstrate things, here’s the picture when you see John talking while me and Brigitte are listening to what he has to say…

You see John has that blue line I was writing before below his camera stream window while Brigitte and me have none.

To see the participants or take a look of what was going on in the modst of conversation if anyone had written something into the message window or to determine how long the session was, you can see as follows:

Well, I hope this helps with understanding and finding some things. As I’ve written on that last picture, pin your eye on the duration of the conversation. I’ll just say Llongyfarchiadau i chi bawb! as majority of you were active in the conversation but if even only mostly listening, for approximately the whole 2 hours excdpt of those who joined later and those who went off a bit earlier.

Special congrats to you @onomatopoeicowl as you’ve been on for approximately 2 hours, mostly listening but when there were only few of us left you’ve showed your speaking skills aswell. I’ve said in the conversation already that you’re speaking very well using the wide range of words and sometimes it appeared even I don’t have all that repertoaire of the words you have. And as I see things you really need just a bit more speaking practice and wualla! a fluent Welsh speaker you will be

I don’t know for how long you’re learning @margaretsteinmann (I probably knew but have forgotten though) but you did superb work too, leading conversation all along the time you were in session.

All the rest you know you’re doing extreamly well without me telling you this and @PeterG you’re pro in comparrison to me … :slight_smile:

So Chiers to you all and chiers to John who organizes all this every single time and to Brigitte who managed to come along if even returnihg home late, to Stella who decide to join us and to Phillip who always has interesting questions to ask. Brilliant team all of you!

Did I forget someone … hope not … ah ja, @henddraig, congrats to you as you were using Welsh almost all the time in the conversation and @Jane obviously had the best connection of us all since her stream was very clear in deed and the mixture of clear speach you have and the excellent connection gave one the feeling you should talk a bit more next time. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Da iawn eto Tatjana - well done again Tatjana,
you are a gem with so much helpful stuff.

Yes i think we broke the record for number on skype at once
and i was concerned that some of the new/quiet people may have felt left out.
But it appears they were happy to listen which is absolutely fine.

To be honest, anyone who drops in on our chaos must wonder if we are
part of chaos theory at times (did someone mention physics and calculus),
and once again we got through an evening without mentioning tri mochyn bach,
(three little pigs). Thanks all for sticking with the fun!!!

I’m going to persist (a little) with the song idea.
I’m not a song writer but SSIW has taught me that does not matter
just enjoy trying.

So far the start has changed again, at the moment i have
os dach i eisiau dysgu yr hen iath
os dach i eisiau siarad fel cymro

I will of course expect Tatjana to do a cartoon video for it to play over.
Plenty of time, don’t expect much cin pasg (before Easter).

cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Os dych eisiau siarad fel cymraes!!
To @tatjana your hints are very helpful. No mouse! Will my finger on laptop keypad work the same way, i.e. Cursur on picture?
To @onomatopoeicowl i love the name Bethany! You may have to interupt me to stop me calling you that! Just call me Jacqueline and i’ll disappear in a pool of embarrassment! (I hate my name, as I said, and the full version was used by my Dad just like yours used Bethany! But Jac or Iag would be fine.)

2 Likes

Yes. As you put cursor over the picture the name appears in lower part of the picture. You don’t need to click on it just hoover the cursor over and the thing is done.

Well I never worked on the laptop pad but rather plugged in additional mouse so I could normally work with all wheels like usually I do on PC. And when my laptop aged and the keyboard went dead I just plugged additional (noral) keyboard in and put it over the whole laptop until the poor motherboard not (obviously) be able to handle all my too hard demands in order to what to plug in and what sort of things to do on the poor thingy just crashed into no return stages. The laptop was opened by my son, the hard drive which was in it, was taken out and put into my proper PC once I’ve bought it so no cnotent was lost at all and I even can use some software without being installed again.

(well that’s my laptop story … quite sad one as my two laptops I had in my life was my slaves in the right meaning of the word) :slight_smile:

Oh, @henddraig and thank you for your kind words. I’m happy if I can help.

Hehe … I even might when it will be more than just 2 verses written. What about trying to continue the poem by whoever thinks has a good idea of what should come next? Let’s do some fun until Pasg! Why not in deed?! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch am eich sylwadau caredig, @tatjana. Thank your kind comments - and your comprehensive summary of proceedings.

I’m not sure I share your confidence in my abilities! In SSiW terms, I’ve learnt the language the ‘wrong way round’, in that I’ve learned the formal grammar stuff, and how to read and write Cymraeg, before focusing on speaking. Having that grammatical baggage in my head can be a bit of a hindrance when it comes to speaking (as I find myself thinking, ‘ooh, do I need a treiglad meddal there? What’s the past tense of that verb?’, etc) but that’s something I’m resolved to try and put right this year and not worry so much about making mistakes, etc. I’m pretty new to using Skype too, so it’s still a bit of a strange experience for me to communicate via that medium!

Just to say I was very impressed by the everyone’s abiity to say stuff in Welsh and only use English as a last resort.

@ramblingjohn - no I certainly didn’t feel left out. It’s useful to listen to Welsh spoken in real time in different accents and I felt happy enough to contribute whenever I thought of something to say. I don’t say that much even in English, to be honest… How much input I’ll have into the song remains to be seen, though!

3 Likes

Skype alert, nos fory 7: 00pm.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

GEE! For a split of second I thought I’ve missed everything already! Phiew … it’s Wednesday today … I’ll (hopefully) be there yfory. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Internet permitting, I will be here with my laptop plugged into the mains so it can’t run out of ooomph! Mind, I seem to run out of oomph after about hanner awr!!

1 Like