Format of skype practice

Many many thanks, that was bothering me and just what i needed (will correct).

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

That’s a very beautiful way of practicing the possessives:)

2 Likes

craig. - rock.
creigiau. - rocks.
o dan. - under.
troed - foot.
traed - feet.

I was wondering if the format would be good for learning new words with their possessives and mutations at the same time.

So, using the above words. oes 'na greigiau o dan dy draed di - is/are there rocks under your feet.

(doing this, i may even begin to understand grammar).

Cheers J.P.

Looking at the words for foot and feet, I am always reminded of the English words “trod” (and “trodden”), and “tread”.

I wonder if they have a common origin to the Welsh words, or if this is just a coincidental similarity?

(It has just crossed my mind that a slang word when I was at school for a push-bike that was a bit old, heavy and slow, was a “treader” :slight_smile: - anyone else remember this? :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I don’t usually bother picking on mutations, but as that’s your focus of learning here John, just a small note that after “Oes 'na” you need to mutate the next word so “Oes 'na greigiau 
”
Without the “'na” it’s fine - “Oes creigiau 
”

2 Likes

Many thanks Dee, i’m still making mistakes and being corrected now is perfect.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Well that was some skype session, a huge amount of fun and some learning.
@tatjana is becoming excellent at keeping conversation going with her inventive subject changes.

Tonight we had Eddie the eagle flying to Pluto in search of honey flavour ice cream, he didn’t find it so opened a secondhand book shop instead.
I suspect the story will be padded out a bit next month before we apply for film rights.

Many thanks to all participants.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

Well, everyone contributed equal part so there surely shouldn’t be credits applying to me separately.

Yes that was a session in deed, one of those I never had the chance to be at before. @ramblingjohn’s “stori bach” sums it all. i only hope we weren’t “too brutal” :slight_smile: and melt @Y_Ddraig_Las’ brains to much since it was his first time to chat in a group and I sincerely hope he’ll come to chat with us next month again. He speaks yn da and it was enjoyable to have him in session.

In general: It was fun and I enjoyed the whole session from the beginning to the end. it was kind of first time to chat with so many pepole at once for me too and I feared the connection wouldn’t hold but it all went perfectly fine.

Diolch i chi bawb a tan y mis nesa! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you everyone, you were all very charming and helpful. :sunny:

1 Like

Well, i suspect it’s hard for people who were not there to understand how good it was.

There have certainly been times when i have felt really slow at learning, but the other side of the coin is when words just pop out of my head even though i had forgotten learning them.
The group was big enough to keep someone in conversation all the time, and listening is half the useful point of the exercise.
I think every one at some time typed a word in the message window to avoid confusion and this is a definite plus, if we each remember one new word or phrase then that is progress.
All i can really say is i look forward to next time and i will look up and try to remember the Welsh name for Builth wells.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Builth wells (saesneg) - Llanfair ym Muallt (cymraeg).

I will try and do a word list from tonight soon.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Oooo, long night it will be. - hehe :slight_smile: 

You sound like you had a great deal of fun! But then both John and Tatjana can!

1 Like

Maybe you should join one day 
 :slight_smile:

I very much enjoyed the session and it was very useful. It was difficult: it was my first session, I am unused to conference calls anyway, your accents were strange [bear in mind my pronunciation is far from perfect, but I’ve been exposed to the language all my life], and keeping an eye on the text chat is a little distracting and not forgetting that we were managing to communicate in Welsh.
We’ll have to perhaps ask @aran what the correct way of saying 'Eddie the Eagle ski jumped all the way to the historical planet Pluto" is.

2 Likes

bydd yr broses yn hawddach amser nesaf. I remember my first call was pretty confusing.
Rwan, dan ni’n barod i rhedyg i fyny bryn na gyda gilydd.

gormod = Plenty/excessive.
Bioleg = Biology
biolegwr = biologist.
Gair = word.
Neges = message.
ffenest – window.
moyn = want/ed.
Mwynhau = enjoy.
canol = centre
mwynhau = joio
moyn =eisiau yn’r ddu
bob amser =every time.
TĆ· = house.
eira = snow.
Gwanwyn = spring.
eirlys = snowdrops yn saesneg
ar ben yr bryn = on top the hill / hilltop.
i fyny bryn = up the hill
asgwrn = bone (i wrongly said skeleton).
digon o amser = enough time
hedfan=fly.
Druan = poor/wretched.
cwch = boat
llong = ship
mĂȘl = honey.
Hay on Wye
nefoedd = heaven/s
ddaear = earth we stand on.
Ddaear = Earth as in planet Earth.
o flaen = in front
diolch pawb!

cheers J.P.

1 Like

Ah Margret, you remember what fun we had.
I wonder sometimes if Iestyn will do a reunion bootcamp for us who would like an excuse to go again and meet old friends, but then the canolfan isn’t big enough for the number that would want to attend.

Cheers J.P.

Oooo, ja! Mine is strange in all ways, even English one what Welsh. I’m aware I’ll never be able to talk with proper accent but I hope you at least could understand me a tiny bit especially as I mix words so very often and those "yn"s, "i"s, "am"s etc are used by me just as they fall being they right or wrong. But I guess people get used to my awkward Welsh in time and even don’t mind how I say things. When one remains quiet then I already know he/she didn’t understand me at all 
 - hehe. :smile:

You lucky ones 
 :smiley:

I hope you’ll join us next month again anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As learners we are bound to have strange accents. It’s, though, part of our identity. It indicates that the person speaking is a second-language speaker (which implies he also has a first language). But people pay incredible amounts of money for “accent reduction courses” in English, just to get rid of their accents, so that they sound “native speakers”, and that’s a bit sad. I would only exchange my Russian accent for this one:)

Luckily, I haven’t got a clue about the accents in Welsh, so John, Tatjana and Brigitte all sound perfectly comprehensible to me.

1 Like

Last night i remember hearing ‘level’ and wondered about the word in Welsh.
It seems ‘lefel’ is fine when talking about height.

Yr un uchder - the same height.
mae’r lefelau dĆ”r yn yr afonydd yn uchel nawr - the water levels in the rivers are high now.
This could be the first line for Tatjana’s next story (amdan y tywydd - about the weather) :sunny:

Cheers J.P.