Free(ish) Bootcamp questions

The sunrise that week is about 04:55 so it would still be a very early start …

I’m up for whatever the majority decides.

I think we can guarantee the weather, it’s a northern bŵtcamp, the weather is always good during a northern bŵtcamp. :wink:

1 Like

Chips sound good. A hand on the ground is OK. I really only intend to be around from Friday pm to Wednesday morning, but if the weather is good for Yr Wyddfa only at the end of the week go for it then. It’s my loss, no one else’s.

1 Like

That sounds good though I understand there is also a special and convenient bus that passes the start/finish of each walk (and can be caught in Caernarfon). I am sure that bus won’t start at that time so it would rely on those who have cars and what happens if we came down a different route.

Phew, that’s half the time I thought it would be

2 Likes

Quite happy to go up, suitably betorched, in the dark. Don’t intend to bring a car to North Wales.

Fun as a night/sunrise walk sounds, I think my vote would be Miner’s/LLanberis and an early start but 7/8am early not 2/3am early!

I was also looking at this

and wondering if anyone else fancied hiring bikes for a day/half day? Although it’s a lot longer since I was last on a bike than climbed a mountain!

3 Likes

That sounds good.

Count me in as long as there is little wind on the day. I have been on a bike more recently than I have been on a mountain but I am sure we will find someone here who has been on both at the same time!

Sorry to be a late contributor to this thread.

I 've only been up yr Wyddfa 3.5 times. Once before I was born, once by train, once all the way up the Watkin path which was a hard climb, and once half way up the Watkin before being completely defeated by fog and rain.

I have it on good authority that sun sets and sunrises are absolutely spectacular on the summit. But they are over quite quickly, especially when you consider the efforts of either a very early morning or late night and walking in low light. They also take quite a lot of organising time and weather wise and I would say require an experienced climber/walker to accompany you.

If you reach the summit on a bright, clear day, then the views are rather incredible, and of course, when not battling daylight, you can then spend as much time as you can enjoying them. Also, as controversial as they are, the facilities at the top are useful - they’re a good place to rest and refuel, especially for mixed ability and mixed age groups. The visitor’s centre and cafe opens at 10am and closes 20 minutes before the last train leaves the Summit.

If you ascend early morning and descend (on foot or by train) after lunch, then remember that Llanberis itself is full of interesting things to see and do, not to mention being able to relax by the lake when the weather is favourable.

If you feel like an interesting dining experience at the end of it all, the famous Llanberis Pitsa a Peint at Gallt y Glyn Hostel on the outskirts of the town is inexpensive and delicious.

Otherwise don’t forget the Queen of the Sea at Caernarfon offers fabulous cruises along the Menai. A good idea on any day to check sailing times and availability in the mornings.

If you’d rather stay on land here is the timetable for The Welsh Highland Railway and here are the fares. It is advisable to book in advance during busy periods and you will find a brand new ticket office/cafe/visitor centre in Caernarfon right by the railway - though you can also book by phone. Remember that it’s the Welsh Highland Railway which runs from Caernarfon, not the Ffestiniog Railway.

I always find Trip Advisor quite useful as a guide on places to go and things to do.

Check out this post in The Party thread for tips on places to eat and drink…

Let me know if I can help you with any other info. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, great, Gruntius is trying to kill off half our bootcamp-ish-ers… [rolls eyes, frets]

2 Likes

I asked originally, and @gruntius just picked up the ball and ran with it. So if anyone dies it’s probably my fault and not his. But I’d prefer no-one to die.

3 Likes

@margaretnock was just trying to find out who really wants to be a Welsh speaker … I was just narrowing the field a bit more. :joy:

3 Likes

I think I’m going to blame both of you… :slight_smile:

1 Like

If it’s me I expect you to come to the funeral. :wink::wink:

Could you make sure it happens either near the base or on the summit so we could utilise the train then please? I don’t fancy lugging anyone too far. :steam_locomotive:

If I die at the base, before getting to the top, please be sure to take me up, even on the train. I have a couple of promises to keep, to myself and to others. But I would prefer not to die, if I can help it, not yet.

1 Like

All heart…the rest beard…

2 Likes

I am local, not attending the party, but would love to meet someone the week after the party. One day, one afternoon or one evening, something like that. What would be the best way to do that (not sure if there are already some plans for particular days/evenings)?
Also, my Welsh is not really a bootcamp level yet (I believe at least level 1 is recommended, is that correct?). What can I do? Do you plan to do some mixed Welsh/English activity? Or should I try to finish level 1?

Regarding Yr Wyddfa, I was there twice, will be again next week (my family visiting) and probably again later in June (my husband’s family visiting), so I can live without that :slight_smile: Every time someone visits us here, they want to go there, like there is no other mountain in Snowdonia. It’s a lovely hike with views to die for (on a good day) but it’s often crowded and parking is a nightmare.

1 Like

We’re going to be putting some kind of shape on things (wouldn’t want to call it actually ‘running’!) via a WhatsApp group - I would imagine that just posting on here on a day that works for you and asking where everyone is would probably work… :slight_smile:

I think I’d prefer to zoom up Yr Wyddfa by train . Any takers ?

Not for me Richard I’m afraid. I don’t mind walking up if there’s interest but a £30 train ride up, although it’s up a mountain, is a bit steep for me. :grinning:

1 Like