Funny Moments in Learning Welsh

I’ve found that I retain more by completing challenges whilst driving, so I recently downloaded several challenges to an SD card for when I’m out and about. I had a three-hour round-trip drive earlier today and decided I’d take a break after completing challenge 7 and listening to the first Level 1 listening exercise on repeat a couple times. Imagine my surprise when instead of music, I heard the voices of @CatrinLliarJones and @aran coming at me at mach speed! I forgot that I had downloaded the second exercise in anticipation of completing Level 10 sometime soon… Fortunately, I was too busy laughing at the surprise to maintain control of my car AND find the pause button, so I managed to listen to the full five minutes before Simon & Garfunkel started singing. :sweat_smile:

Still early days for me, but I’m sure there will be more funny moments to come. What funny moments have you had on your journey of learning Welsh?

8 Likes

I’m glad you chose to prioritise keeping the car on the road…:wink:

1 Like

When I was at the early stages of Course One, I kept confusing the simple words “ci” and “cig”.

So, when I asked my long-suffering ci whether he would like to go for a walk, I came out with "Wyt ti’n moyn mynd am dro. Mister Cig?

I burst out laughing when I realised what I’d said – I imagined myself dragging a juicy Welsh Black beefsteak through the fields on the end of a lead!

7 Likes

Not me but my wee girl (3) -
We had been learning colours. Her favourite is red.
So we are walking around the shops and Iona says loudly “I like coch”, “my favourite is coch” etc.
Cue people looking at us and me being very embarassed.
She thought this was hilarious and has carried on doing it!!

8 Likes

Ah, yes, I have (not all that) fond memories of ours producing unintentional obscenities in their early days, bless their won’t-shut-up little heads…

3 Likes

And I am now so bursting to share what our little monster shouted out loud in a restaurant one evening for all to hear - but I risk being banned from the Forum even if I try to “soften” the words. Luckily the surrounding diners found it highly amusing and just laughed merrily. Your story is really delightful l and I’m so glad you shared it,

Justin

1 Like

Not really funny, but I did a double-take in a Lanzarote supermarket to see the label on some wrapped bread:“barra pan” .

I knew that pan was bread but for a second or two was wondering why they had kindly labelled it in Cymraeg as well and almost got the spelling right. It was a baguette style loaf and although I havent checked, I’m guessing barra is something like “bar”.

2 Likes

and how about the hilarious one from @jenny_white_378
Not me but my wee girl -
We had been learning colours. Her favourite is red.
So we are walking around the shops and Iona says loudly “I like coch”, “my favourite is coch” etc.
Cue people looking at us and me being very embarassed.
She thought this was hilarious and has carried on doing it!!

Justin

3 Likes

A couple of weeks back, I was glad to be doing the challenges behind closed doors when I tried to say “am dipyn”, fumbled it and swapped the d and the p.

That’s…a very different word. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Even worse than that? I’m afraid to know. :cold_sweat:

Plus all the times I messed up so badly during a lesson, I started laughing helplessly.
There’s also the ridiculous things my brain concocts sometimes. For example, I’ve theorized that half the words in the Welsh language are forms of “bod”.

“Am dipyn” is “for a while”. The other one is a part of the body.