Future SSiW Events - questionnaire

Did I hear Food Festival? :heart_eyes:

I think at this point you should :wink: do, for example:
first year - mini festival or bootcamp style weekend
second year - mini festival or bootcamp style (=the one that didn’t happen in the previous year)
third and fourth year - same as above
fifth year big Parti weekend
Then, da capo. :grin:

Anyway, so many interesting possibilities already…how about making a list that people can vote - so to start and have a first idea of which options seem more appreciated?

3 Likes

Love the idea of every 2 years, including chatting to locals, some music, comedy (Elis James world be perffaith!) As a supply teacher, probably £65 would be best but could maybe push the boat out. For that reason, summer holiday dates would also be preferable! Y Galeri sounds perfect but is there enough accommodation in Caernarfon? If it were in Bangor, I could get train home. Hope this helps xx

2 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::thinking:

2 Likes

1) Would you be interested in attending an SSiW mini festival?

Can I put my name down, like, Right Now ?

2) Do you think we should organise this for 2/3/4/5 years time, or further in the future?

Cynharaf po gorau. (The sooner the better). But I’ll let you off not doing it next year as we don’t want anyone collapsing from exhaustion. Maybe someone / some people else in the SSiW community should do the donkey work for a “micro Parti11” next year, but as a much simpler affair. But that’s a separate topic to be discussed in due course no doubt.

3) Work and family wise, would you be able to attend a three day/two night(ish) event with plenty of notice?

I am fortunate to have now retired, but of course others may not be so lucky.

4) In which month(s) of the year would you prefer to see something like this happening?

I’m happy to go along with the prevailing preferences of the community on this one.

5) Thinking of venues - I am unable to organise on this kind of scale in a venue far from home, so unfortunately the Canolbarth or y De aren’t viable options. Therefore, which of these would you prefer for a weekend event,

Caernarfon town is unique, of course. But I can see a strong case for the Nant. I would be happy with the Nant, if there were outings to, say, Pwllheli, so people can get some exposure to natural, wild Welsh in a town setting with enough amenities to provide some variety.

6) We purposefully kept the ticket prices for this weekend to a minimum, because we wanted the opportunity to celebrate our learners, for the weekend to feel like a gift and be full of surprises. But if we were organise a SSiW festival in the future, what is the maximum ticket price you would be willing to pay for the whole weekend, without accommodation?

Personally I would stretch to a hundred pounds, but I respect that may be a little steep for some, possibly.

7) Which kind of activities would you like to see as part of the weekend?

Anything that maximises interaction with local, natural Welsh speakers.

8) Which artists/celebrities/authors/poets/special guests would you like to see taking part in the weekend?

I have a pretty open mind on this, but it would be nice to invite Gwyneth Glyn to our Parti someday. She appeared quite happy to mix with people in the Saith Seren in Wrecsam, though I thought she deserved a larger audience, like a full SSiW Parti.

1 Like

Dear Catrin,

I could say ‘yes, yes, yes…keep them coming, the more the merrier please’, but have spent quite a bit of time over the past week reflecting how members of the far-flung ‘diaspora’ could also enjoy such events.

You beat me to it with your questionnaire, but perhaps this deserves a separate thread to address the deep desire for inclusion along with the practicalities of overseas travel. I was going to begin a new topic called ‘Over here, over there, special SSiW events everywhere’. Some initial thoughts and suggestions I want to float for discussion include:

1. A special 7-10 day Bootcamp+Festival/Cultural Tour, maybe every 2 years in Wales, specifically aimed at overseas SSiWers (but open to everyone) that would be somewhere easy to reach from the major airports and has a lot to offer ‘cultural tourists’ too. It could alternate N and S, with visiting castles in the N (based at Caernarfon), then the Welsh Folk Museum, Big Pit, St David’s Hall… the Principality Stadium… in the S (based in or near Cardiff). Ambitious? Yes, but travelling to Wales from Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Africa… is expensive, so for many people requires a major financial and time commitment. However, it would be worth it if there were opportunities to tour around (organized by the Welsh Tourist Board or cultural tour operator???) plus have time at a special Bootcamp or Festival (organized by a SSiW team and volunteers).

2. A similar event for 5-7 days in the alternating years, organized and hosted by SSiWers in partnership with Welsh Societies around the world, perhaps capitalizing with their own regional or countrywide events such as the NA or Australian Gymanfa. This would also be open to everyone and perhaps inspire any who worry about the language fading away, because the ‘diaspora’ are folk who have to be passionate about Welsh as ‘pilgrims in a foreign land’. For the Bootcamp portion we would need to cover the expenses for a SSiW leader.

Timed right, the Welsh ‘home-coming’ cultural package could offer attendees some choices between attending a concert, a rugby match, a day at an Eisteddfod, tour of castles, museums, hiking… That plus accommodation could be in the hands of a tour agent, separate from, but back-to-back, or blended with the SSiW component of 5-6 days. It would be wonderful to also have the chance for the overseas contingent to meet and mix with the local SSiWers so that international friendships could be forged.

Similarly, the ‘away’ fixtures :upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face: in alternating years could include some local touring for a few days for SSiW visitors from the UK or from other continents.

Let me leave it there for a moment, but I really mean this and having travelled so far to be at the Parti can really see a huge opportunity to join hands around the world in exciting ways.

Hwyl,
Mari

PS Part of the ‘homecoming’ SSiW ‘component’ could be exactly what others here are requesting or suggesting—that’s great and would be the perfect ‘mixer’! But overseas folk do need help in breaking the ice to forge friendships (which can be hard when many SSiWers based in the UK already know one another), experiencing a Bootcamp (maybe a special truncated one), and visiting places of cultural interest and scenic beauty which would be difficult to access without hiring a car (including the unique pleasures of Welsh pubs, chapels, riding on narrow gauge railways, etc—the things many reading this can do any day of the week or long weekend).

7 Likes
  1. Would you be interested in attending an SSiW mini festival

Yes!

1. Do you think we should organise this for 2/3/4/5 years time, or further in the future?

Is next year too soon?

1. Work and family wise, would you be able to attend a three day/two night(ish) event with plenty of notice?

Yes

1. In which month(s) of the year would you prefer to see something like this happening?
  • May?
  • June?
  • July?
  • August?
  • Other?

The end of June

1. Thinking of venues - I am unable to organise on this kind of scale in a venue far from home, so unfortunately the Canolbarth or y De aren’t viable options. Therefore, which of these would you prefer for a weekend event,

Somewhere in mid Wales so that north and south Welsh learners can meet in the middle?

1. We purposefully kept the ticket prices for this weekend to a minimum, because we wanted the opportunity to celebrate our learners, for the weekend to feel like a gift and be full of surprises. But if we were organise a SSiW festival in the future, what is the maximum ticket price you would be willing to pay for the whole weekend, without accommodation?
  • £65
  • £85
  • £100
  • Something else

£75?

1. Which kind of activities would you like to see as part of the weekend?

Music, comedy, literature… all the arts!

1. Which artists/celebrities/authors/poets/special guests would you like to see taking part in the weekend?

Rhys Ifans would be good!
And I’ll be happy to sing you my Welsh song, if you like… :slight_smile:

Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Waiting one year for that??? NO WAY! I want it sooner. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh go on then… :grin: https://hannerchant.bandcamp.com/track/lliwiau-enaid-soul-colours

4 Likes

So … you’re singing it?

I’m buying it! NOW!

And sorry. I didn’t pay too much attention to the other topics to see you’ve released the song just some days ago.

Watch out! I’m following you! (and gladly expect more songs to come my way. :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile: Yes that’s me! I really love singing in Welsh, so I’m being extra studious and disciplined with my SSIW challenges now, just so that I can write more songs… :grin: I really appreciate your support, thanks again!

2 Likes

Album bought!

Thank you to write music and sing. Looking forward to next album with more songs in Welsh. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you - that’s wonderful! I’ve now got even more motivation to learn Welsh! :star_struck: New album entirely in Welsh by next year… maybe?

1 Like

I think some on the weekend thought that there wasn’t enough of Meinir Gwilym.

2 Likes

There’s never enough of Meinir Gwilym :grinning:. Maybe she could do a set of greatest hits then at another time talk about her love of gardening and the outdoors.

4 Likes

1) Would you be interested in attending an SSiW mini festival?

Ie. Si. Emphatically.

2) Do you think we should organise this for 2/3/4/5 years time, or further in the future?

1. Months :wink:

3) Work and family wise, would you be able to attend a three day/two night(ish) event with plenty of notice?

Oooh yes! (In the style of the Churchill dog)

4) In which month(s) of the year would you prefer to see something like this happening?

• May?
  • June?
  • July?
  • August?
  • Other?

Any or all, but probably June or July.

5) Thinking of venues - I am unable to organise on this kind of scale in a venue far from home, so unfortunately the Canolbarth or y De aren’t viable options. Therefore, which of these would you prefer for a weekend event,

Advantages to both, but for the sheer pleasure of shaking up Caernarfon (the locals wondered what was going on!!) and for the very selfish purpose of munching on some more Artisan ice-cream, I’m slightly more in favour of Caernarfon. Although it would be wonderful to forge deeper links with N.G.

6) We purposefully kept the ticket prices for this weekend to a minimum, because we wanted the opportunity to celebrate our learners, for the weekend to feel like a gift and be full of surprises. But if we were organise a SSiW festival in the future, what is the maximum ticket price you would be willing to pay for the whole weekend, without accommodation?

• £65
  • £85
  • £100
  • Something else?

Based on your needing to spend about £30 to attend an event in general, a three-day-er would be about £90. Concessions for kids might be good, but there are all sorts and sizes of cans filled with worms waiting for us down that road.

7) Which kind of activities would you like to see as part of the weekend?

Musical workshops. Singing/instruments and wouldn’t it be phenomenal for an SSiW band to have the chance to strut their stuff?

8) Which artists/celebrities/authors/poets/special guests would you like to see taking part in the weekend?

Kathryn Jenkins, Tom Jones and a little known duo called Cat and Iestyn. Calan too. 9 Bach would be a good shout. Anyone know if Pistwll Dwr are still going?

Ok, seriously though, anyone would be great, but Cat and Iestyn are bill-toppers.

2 Likes

A challenge …

1 Like

… a HUGE challenge! Eek! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Really enjoyed that! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much! :slight_smile: :pray:t2: :notes:

I mentioned this in the Pump am y Penwythnos thread but it would be absolutely thrilling to have a concurrent US SSiW get together with Wales. @KellyMoore suggested this to me earlier this year and we spent a bit of time throwing ideas into the air to see what was interesting. Looking on the “Where’s Welsh Speakers in the US” map, there are a lot pins between New York and Washington DC, as well as several Welsh groups in those areas who would be interested in attending.

Could this be an option as well provided there was a group of people who were willing to organize the event?

2 Likes